Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 02:28 AM
Big Dog

Old 01-05-2013, 05:06 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Interesting. Thanks.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Behavior Nerd

I, too, would be thrilled to see video as most of my herding observation has been with BCs, but I am now starting to work my malinois and cattle dog mix, who are both loose eyed and upright at this stage.

A while back I looked at Hanging Tree Cow Dogs and found them fascinating in their work as well as the way the breeders have kept them a strictly working stock dog.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaloncoolies View Post
I do have experience with other herding breeds, not as a handler with stock...but thru my career as a dog trainer, my herding and sheep handling experience have always been with coolies...I think that might have helped me not be confused with how they work, or any moment of "doubt" they had natural instinct....
Do you have experience with Kelpies? I am in love with mine but I am also extremely interested in C/Koolies and would like to know how they compare to each other. I have a decent internet presence, and am also extremely active in sports with my dogs. I would love to help get the breed more recognition in the states (won't be for awhile since my Kelpie is only 8 months old). We are dabbling in herding but I am mostly focusing on my Corgi right now - although I believe I will get my Kelpie and GSD in at a later date. My Kelpie came from a large working cattle farm so I think his temperament is "true" to the breed (and my breeder says the same as that is what she runs primarily on her ranch) and gives me a pretty good look at what to expect out of a working herding breed. We also have a sport bred Border Collie. Any comparisons you have to make to those breeds I think I will grasp. I am extremely interested in the basic nature of the breed though, particularly since you have a large-ish pack, as do I.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I, too, would be thrilled to see video as most of my herding observation has been with BCs, but I am now starting to work my malinois and cattle dog mix, who are both loose eyed and upright at this stage.

Totally OT but your mal is loose eyed and mine were both told to have strong eyes by BC owners. That is until Sloan when in for the noms on a goat but humorously they even said sometimes the best start out so rough.

I'm now curious how malinois should herd, as well.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Top Dog

I did some little herding stuff with Judge, mainly bringing up roping cattle when friends were roping. I was told by the rancher I know that Judge herds more like the Catahoula crosses he has. I wonder how they are supposed to look or what breeds they could be compared too. I know Judge is too rough for goats and sheep but he will work a cow just fine. His nephew works on a cattle ranch. I don't know, watching a good herding dog is amazing.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaloncoolies View Post
Thank you for readin my posts and taking the time to comment and ask more, these guys are so awesome...

Ok, I mean no offense by this- but to me, those dogs look exactly like working bred Border Collies. They also look totally different than the other Coolies I've seen. I guess I don't see much consistency from kennel to kennel, so it confuses me when you say that this breed doesn't need to develop at all- because It seems pretty far spread out to me. (of course that happens with any breed, but since it seems like they haven't gotten into the show ring yet I don't understand why there is such a huge variety)

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
Ok, I mean no offense by this- but to me, those dogs look exactly like working bred Border Collies. They also look totally different than the other Coolies I've seen. I guess I don't see much consistency from kennel to kennel, so it confuses me when you say that this breed doesn't need to develop at all- because It seems pretty far spread out to me. (of course that happens with any breed, but since it seems like they haven't gotten into the show ring yet I don't understand why there is such a huge variety)
I agree. I'm all up for learning about other breeds. I really don't know much about Koolies. And the C/K thing totally annoys me. I know, not your fault, but still. Stick with a letter!

But your's look more like BC's or a BC/Kelpie/cattle dog cross. If you say they are Koolies, than I believe you because I don't know enough to disagree. But.... I can only tell you what I think.

It seems that people will listen and learn from you, as long as you don't want to create drama. I'm new here too. If people are nice to me, I'm generally nice back. Starting off on the wrong foot here appears hard to get back from, but the forum is forgiving.

It would be nice to see a different side, since it appears you and Sara/Linds are taking very different approaches to breeding Koolies. Neither are right or wrong. As long as no one acts holier than thou, it should go over nicely.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Silence, peasants.

To be fair, I know border collies that look nothing like 'border collies' (people peg them for Australian Shepherds). As far as I can tell, like in working border collies, the breed is shaped by their herding instincts, not how they look. I'm not sure why a breed would need to develop into dogs that all look the same.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 01-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Glutton for Crazy

It's confusing and malinois span a great variety of looks but in the end it's not too hard to see yes mal, no mal. How does one tell what a koolie or coolie should look like?

And yes, while I don't expect a show standard a type standard be it for form and or just function is not unreasonable to request of any breed.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Closed Thread