Dogs & Chocolate & How Much is Deadly

Discussion in 'Dog Food and Recipes' started by Renee750il, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Renee750il

    Renee750il Felurian

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2003
    Messages:
    94,266
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Occupation:
    3, Bimmer, GSDX (m); Kharma, Fila Brasileiro (f);
    Location:
    Where the selas blooms
    Home Page:
    It's not the dog, it's the chocolate . . . milk chocolate has very little actual cocoa in it.
     
  2. ToscasMom

    ToscasMom Harumph™©®

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2006
    Messages:
    6,211
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    4 Cats and 1 Collie With a Hairball
    Location:
    Mother Ship
    Home Page:
    I lost my schnauzer to this after he ate an entire huge chocolate easter egg. Devastating. I knew he ate the egg and he got sick from it, but at the time they knew little about chocolate and dogs as far as I know. I just know in retrospect, knowing what I know now, this was what killed him.
     
  3. little liz

    little liz little liz

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2007
    Messages:
    219
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    14+
    Location:
    England
    Home Page:
    Oh how awful to loose a dog like that! I am so sorry. What puzzles me is...what is the difference between real chocolate and the chocolate that is sold just for dogs??? I bought Minnie some dogie chocolate drops once, but she didn't like them so I gave them away to a friend. Does the dogie chocolate have the dangerous stuff taken out some how?
     
  4. Zoom

    Zoom Twin 2.0

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2005
    Messages:
    40,739
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Denver, CO
    The 'chocolate" for dogs is actually carob, which contains none of the harmful chemicals found in real cocoa-based chocolate.
     
  5. nica

    nica Happy dogs expert

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2007
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    2
    Location:
    Singapore
    Home Page:
    My dog mitzi stolen some chocolates I left on my table and ate it all when she was a mischevious puppy. she even know how to peel off the wrappers carefully so she dun eat the yacky wrappers! I freaked out when i came home as I know chocolates are toxic to them. Rushed her off to the hospital and got her checked.

    The vet says nothing much we can do but to observe as she has taken the chocolates for couple of hours now and they cant "wash" her stomach anymore, too late, all digested. I didnt have a good sleep, I could only watch if she reacts to it.

    They did a blood test and checked her liver, there were some damage but not too bad as she didnt die from it. Probably she is of medium sized dog, and also, it is milk chocolate, so the cocoa content is not too high.

    I'm blessed...dun let this happen to your dogs. Keep all forbidden foods out of reach from your dogs/puppies....they get bored and do all sorts of things when u are gone.

    Here's quick reference list of forbidden food for your dog.
     
  6. amymarley

    amymarley New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2005
    Messages:
    719
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Being in the animal community, I have heard many stories.... I believe chocolate is bad for dogs in general. That is my opinion...
    I have, however, heard many more stories of dogs dying because of chocolate than not.
    I will share that I had a few people, a few "old timers" that didn't know any better, and gave their dogs some mm's every day...and the dogs lived to be 12 to 16 years of age. I think that is not the norm. Granted, it was not dark chocolate, or maybe they developed a tolerance, or maybe it did take a few years off of their life. I don't know.

    I won't take the chance. I have found that chocolate, onions, raisions, grapes,tomato leaves, green skin on potatoes, certain nuts and so on "can" be toxic.

    Regardless, I am not going to chance it.
     
  7. nica

    nica Happy dogs expert

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2007
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    2
    Location:
    Singapore
    Home Page:
    yap. depends on size and resilience of the dogs actually. each and every dog is unique.....smaller dogs surely react more quickly then bigger dogs when given toxic foods.... it's the eye of the potatoes tat is toxic to dogs. tat's why we are advice to remove skin. more accurate is to "dig out" the eye....

    anyway, just be extra careful when giving treats/food...i have seen a youtube video on homecooked meals for dogs recommending tomatoes, i almost flipped!! imagine all the dog owners who are going to watch it and think it's OK to feed tomatoes! anyway, i place a comment not to feed tomatoes....hope it helps....
     
  8. Sevie

    Sevie New Member

    Joined:
    May 6, 2007
    Messages:
    58
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    It bugs me when people almost die cause their 150 mastiff ate a chocolate chip lol. I think one of my dog gets a lot of chocolate we never give our dogs chocolate but if we put chocolate on the ceiling anna could still get it she opens doors and cupboards it is a pain...... Now we never get those big bags of m&ms lol.
     
  9. Abbysdad

    Abbysdad New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    While at my brother's house recently, his Dachshund got into the Easter basket and we don't know how much chocolate she ate. All of the wrappers were in a neat pile. My Bro's wife called her Vet and he told her to have the dog injest Hydrogen Peroxide, I think an ounce, and we took the dog outside (highly recommended) and talk about explosive vomitting. After about 20 minutes everyone and everything was back to normal.
     
  10. Larabee113

    Larabee113 New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2007
    Messages:
    0
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Carob

    If you're worried about giving your dog chocolate, and she tends to have a sweet tooth the healthy alternative is carob or yogurt chips. :)

    Laura
    http://www.poochiepastries.com
     
  11. Shadow945

    Shadow945 New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2007
    Messages:
    130
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I actually posted a blog about this not too long ago on www.petknows.com. According to a veterinarian, the ratio is about 1oz per 10lbs of dog weight for dark chocolate, and 10oz per 10lbs of dog weight for white chocolate to poison the dog.
     
  12. Roger G

    Roger G New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2009
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    This was some really good information. Too bad it's not as widely known as it should be and more vets should post some info in their offices, or otherwise make their patients aware of this. Can only imagine how many people toss their pets a piece of chocolate as a treat, figuring the smile on their pets face means it's okay.

    {edited by mod- removed link}
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2009
  13. bubbatd

    bubbatd Moderator

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2004
    Messages:
    64,812
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Same with raisons !!! Before the warnings many dogs enjoyed them tossed from toddler's trays .
     
  14. jschofield09

    jschofield09 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2009
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    1
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    One time in our house we gave our dog almost a bar of chocolate and he ate it all. After eating it all we noticed that he looks tipsy and after a day he lost his appetite, then the next day he died.
     
  15. Amanda885

    Amanda885 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2009
    Messages:
    684
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    2
    great article!
    I try to never give my dog any chocolate or too much human food so he doesn't beg or get sick. I would just use caution if you are going to. Anything in excess is not good for anyone. I've never intentionally given my dog chocolate, but he's scooped some off the floor before if ive dropped it, but thats about it. He's never gotten sick.
     
  16. jeffs

    jeffs New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2010
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    link's not working
     
  17. Paul Bright

    Paul Bright New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2010
    Messages:
    122
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
  18. CindyMWyman

    CindyMWyman Guest

    Chocolate addictive

    My dogs fav food is chocolate. And so far i don't see any signs of disease. I dont know if i have to stop buying him a chocolate because its our hobby to eat a chocolate with each other..:(
     
  19. Barb04

    Barb04 Love my pets Staff Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2004
    Messages:
    27,408
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Tennessee
    Cindy, why do you want to see signs that your dog is getting ill from chocolate to stop feeding it. Stop giving your dog chocolate now to avoid a future illness.
     
  20. John Carlo

    John Carlo New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    2
    Location:
    Connecticut
    Home Page:
    My dog (beagle) ate chocolate but she's ok

    My dog Suzie (a beagle) ate a whole chocolate Hershey bar, but she is ok. The vet said that because it was milk chocolate that the chemical theobromine, which dogs cannot digest isn’t as much. Whew, a big scare, but we learned our lesson for leaving chocolate around the house.
     

Share This Page