Dogs & Chocolate & How Much is Deadly

Joined
Dec 20, 2003
Messages
94,266
Likes
2
Points
36
Location
Where the selas blooms
#1
We've all heard the horror stories about dogs and chocolate, but rarely anything other than "it's poison to dogs." Finally, I ran across an article that explains it and will dispel some of the panic if we find out our dogs have snuck off with the last piece of that Hershey bar or a stolen bite of brownie.

http://www.petplace.com/Articles/artShow.asp?ArtId=602
 

chazhound

Alpha Dog
Staff member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
3,317
Likes
0
Points
0
Location
Florida
#2
Yes, great article!
Basically the way I understand it is baking chocolate is what has the most volume of the toxic theobromine ingredient. Basic milk chocolate doesn't contain as much so it isn't as threathening in small amounts. Nevertheless, I would always discourage my dogs from accquiring a taste for cholcolate.

Here are some other links for further information I got from NewsNation:

***********************
Dogs and Chocolate:

Chocolate poisoning in dogs
http://www.apogeecomgrp.com/drkevin/chocolate.html

Chocolate Dog poisoning
http://www.dogownersdigest.com/news/library/chocolate-dog-poisoning.shtml

Chocolate is Poison to your dog
http://www.comportone.com/getparent.html?cpo/animal/articles/chocolate.htm,cpo/navi1.htm

First aid for chocolate poisoning
http://www.dogownersdigest.com/news/library/chocolate-poisoning-dog-care.shtml

Chocolate Poisoning
http://www.cah.com/library/chocpois.html

Chocolate Poisoning
http://www.gsrne.org/Chocolate.htm

A list of human foods that are poison to pets
http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/StoryTemplate_Process.cfm?specie=Dogs&story_no=257

Chazhound
 
Joined
Apr 7, 2004
Messages
17
Likes
0
Points
0
Age
34
Location
Chicago Area
#3
One of my friends when I was younger one a 10lb candy bar from a raffle or something on those lines. Her black lab got into it once and ate a lot of the chocolate but didn't have any side effects. But I take caution with my pooch
 

nickw

New Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
5
Likes
0
Points
0
#4
My dog ate a whole block of chocolate took it out the shopping bag when we were asleep nothing happened to her
 
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
75
Likes
0
Points
0
Age
35
Location
Michigan
#6
That reminds me of my mom's dog. He's a Chihuahua/Pug Mix weirdest looking dog ever, but so very cute *lol* Anyways, my mom and I went shopping and for the longest time we always had a little candy dish full of hersey kisses. Bebe was about 5 years old when this happened, we got home from grocery shopping, and came in the house to a scene of bebe sitting in the middle of tin foil from the hersey kisses and all the chocokate was gone. We almost had a heart attack. That dog didn't get sick or anything, like it didn't phase him at all. Thank god it didn't, my mom and I were so worried. Candy dishes get pick up way high now, even tho our other one was on a table we still don't know how he got up there.
 

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Messages
3,174
Likes
0
Points
0
Location
Manitoba
#7
omg do I have a story to tell.
When me and my sister stilled lived at home she had a toy poodle named Ralph lol. Ralph was a sneaky old boy and one day we all left the house a rare event to go out to dinner for Valentines day. My sister had a heart shaped box of Hershey Kisses that she left on her bed. When we got home that evening there was Ralph laying in the middle of the bed after finnishing the last kiss with wrappers all around him on the bed and floor. This little dog actually unwrapped each and every kiss lol. He was fine the next day which was surprising to us. But i still don't take any chances and always worry a bit when one of my dogs get some but it always turns out fine. Not saying that thats how it will always be.
 
Joined
Dec 20, 2003
Messages
94,266
Likes
2
Points
36
Location
Where the selas blooms
#8
When Mickey, the Toy Terrier, was still a pup (she could sit in the palm of my Dad's hand) she managed to get up on the coffee table and completely devour an entire dish of Hershey's Kisses, after carefully unwrapping them, of course! She lived to be over 16 years old and was a terror until the night she died, peacefully in her sleep curled up between Purdue and Morgan.

It may have been the only peaceful thing she did in her whole long life . . . :D
 

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Joined
Mar 16, 2005
Messages
6,209
Likes
0
Points
0
Age
35
Location
United States
#9
My dog HATES chocolate! He will eat a little taste of chocolate pudding but he doesn't really like it. He grabbed some M&M's off our counter and had them in his mouth like two seconds and spit them out with this disgusted look on his face like "what was that?!?" The look on his face was priceless!
 

Archangel

New Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2005
Messages
9
Likes
0
Points
0
#11
Charcoal as first aid

I thought i'd add a little tip for dog owners (and even humans for that matter). Charcoal can help in a pinch. The unabsorbed Theobromine will bond to it and be excreted with feces. U can find such stuff at a first aid store. it will be activated charcoal, i think. Consult a vet, though, to see if there is a particular kind for dogs. In a REAL pinch, use burnt toast. And when i say burnt, i mean black as u can get it, without it crumbling the minute u touch it. I used the burnt toast thing on my own dog after she consumed an entire bag of hershey's kisses, as it would be an hour before the vet could have seen her. Just thought i'd add this as a helpful tip. Make sure u have the dog examined soon as possible though. http://www.virtualvet.com/petowners/poisonfacts.htm is a link for more info.
AND
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,832,00.html
 

Saje

Island dweller
Joined
Dec 26, 2004
Messages
23,932
Likes
1
Points
38
#12
Blah. Sorry. I'm sure that's good advice but I just remembered somewhere reading that burnt toast or anything burnt enough to be black is a carcinogenic. Just popped into my mind.
 

bully boi

crazy white boy
Joined
May 28, 2005
Messages
10
Likes
0
Points
0
Age
43
Location
nor cal
#13
Thor goes crazy for chocolate!

My dog Thor (APBT) is absolutely crazy for chocolate.Theres no where to hide it as soon as its in the house he will find it and cry at it until he gets some.that is the one thing that drives him crazy, he drools everywhere just from smelling it.I asked my vet about how bad he is and he told me that It woukd take Thor who is near 100 pounds, a pound of chocolate candy before he would get sick and could die.
I wouldnt test his theory, thats for sure.Besides i know that if you let your dog eat chocolate all the time it will become lazy and gain weight, and that is unhealthy.
 

Swiftwind

Harley & Abby
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
375
Likes
0
Points
0
Age
31
Location
Australia
#14
Hershey's Kisses sure are popular!! :D

One easter when I was about 10 years old my sister and I had left two packets of easter eggs on the kitchen counter. We went to sleep and somehow (I have no idea) Harley got up onto the counter and tore open the two pakets of easter eggs, and proceeded to eat the whole lot, foil included. The next morning he had diarrhea and had vomited all over the place! :(
 

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
28,563
Likes
3
Points
38
Age
37
Location
Lancaster, PA
#16
I used to have a miniature schnauzer when I was younger and we went to visit my grandmother for easter and she made this big cake shaped like a bunny. She left it covered up on top of the table and tucked all the chairs in tight before going to bed. Somehow Tina got up there and ate the entire head of the bunny lol. she wasn't sick but man were we pissed off lol
 

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
40,739
Likes
0
Points
36
Age
36
Location
Denver, CO
#17
My old lab/dobie mix Meisha had a sweet tooth like none other, and a cast iron stomach to match. Three years in a row she ate my stash of Halloween candy, as well as my two brothers with no side effects. She also ate my entire fundraiser (had to be around 5 pounds of chocolate) one year, again without a problem. The only time she ever got sick was after eating five pounds of Jelly Bellys that were wrapped as my Christmas present under the tree.

The emergency vet clinic here told me that it takes a pound of chocolate to make a 22 pound dog ill. I found this out after Sawyer ate a dozen chocolate chip cookies the other day. He's 50 lbs, so nothing bad happened.
 
B

Blue_Dog

Guest
#18
During easter my dog got into all are chocolate and was fine.

My friend says it was only because Bakers ckocolate harms them but i am quite sure all chocolate can hurt them.
 
Joined
Dec 20, 2003
Messages
94,266
Likes
2
Points
36
Location
Where the selas blooms
#19
If you've read the article, you'll notice that there is a difference. Milk chocolate is relatively harmless, as it contains very little actual cocoa, although it's still not 100% safe, especially for small dogs. The darker chocolates with the higher content of actual cocoa are the ones that are most toxic.
 

keyodie

Keyozilla
Joined
Dec 14, 2004
Messages
5,749
Likes
0
Points
0
Location
Wonkiki
#20
Wow I didn't know that chocolate was THAT serious and dangerous, I just knew they were bad for dogs.

Charlie licked a chocolate bar wrapper once. :D I guess that isn't very effective is it.
 
Top