The dog musing/vent thread

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
You guys, where is the blue Kong? I've looked under all the furniture and in between the couch cushions and everywhere else you like to shove them, and it's nowhere to be found. Is it under the couch again? It better not be under the couch.

For that matter, where is the biggie bone? I haven't seen that one in weeks. You guys are running out of things for me to stuff and freeze. This is why we can't have nice things.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Rigby knows the command "roll over"
I don't remember teaching it to her, but when I asked Cobain to do it during disc practice yesterday, I caught her rolling around each time....

Interesting...

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Mia is coughing and it's got me all worried. It doesn't sound like collapsed trachea coughing. She had a cough fit last night and then this morning while playing ball. Of course I'm doom and gloom and thinking OMG heart worms or heart failure. They did x-rays a few months ago of her and listened to her heart/lungs and said it all looked good.

Why am I such a worry-wart?

ETA: Actually found a Chihuahua video with collapsed trachea and it does sound like Mia's cough. Sigh. It worries me how much her collapsed trachea is progressing.

Ok, update, I have too many options.

Rescue dog 1: Absolutely gorgeous Catahoula. Young, under a year old, friendly. I haven't been looking at Catahoulas but she is so gorgeous and has so few issues (crate trained, house trained, socialized, happy go lucky) that I couldn't keep from expressing interest. And is only 10 minutes from me. Rescue fee very reasonable.

Rescue dog 2: Funny little hound mix, young adult, sweeter than apple pie in personality. Doesn't have a confrontational bone in her body. Is getting some skin issues addressed by rescue at the moment. Is about an hour and a half from me. Has had some basic training put on her, rescue fee again very reasonable and the rescue itself is by far the most helpful, honest and friendly I've worked with.

Breeder: A bajillion hours away. Ok, not a bajillion, but they're in Canada and I'm in Virginia. Having a gorgeous litter this fall from one of my favorite dogs at their kennel. I would not feel comfortable getting a dog without having met some of their dogs in person though, so a serious road trip would be in order. Obviously more expensive up front than a rescue, and in a breed that (while the breeder does all the right health testing) is probably going to cost quite a bit in the long run as well in health issues. But ergh, this is a dream litter...

WHAT DO I DO?!

DJEtzel

Recon qualified for the Ultimate Air Games this year, so we are going to Imlay City to compete in a few weeks. He's starting conditioning for it tonight. I'M SO **** EXCITED FOR THIS.

JessLough

Love My Mutt

Rescue dog 1: Absolutely gorgeous Catahoula. Young, under a year old, friendly. I haven't been looking at Catahoulas but she is so gorgeous and has so few issues (crate trained, house trained, socialized, happy go lucky) that I couldn't keep from expressing interest. And is only 10 minutes from me. Rescue fee very reasonable.

Rescue dog 2: Funny little hound mix, young adult, sweeter than apple pie in personality. Doesn't have a confrontational bone in her body. Is getting some skin issues addressed by rescue at the moment. Is about an hour and a half from me. Has had some basic training put on her, rescue fee again very reasonable and the rescue itself is by far the most helpful, honest and friendly I've worked with.

Breeder: A bajillion hours away. Ok, not a bajillion, but they're in Canada and I'm in Virginia. Having a gorgeous litter this fall from one of my favorite dogs at their kennel. I would not feel comfortable getting a dog without having met some of their dogs in person though, so a serious road trip would be in order. Obviously more expensive up front than a rescue, and in a breed that (while the breeder does all the right health testing) is probably going to cost quite a bit in the long run as well in health issues. But ergh, this is a dream litter...

WHAT DO I DO?!
I wanna know what breed the breeder dog is :p and where in Canada :lol-sign:

I'm 95% sure that Gimmicks sister has a litter of puppies. Gimmick was a year in april, so I'm praying it isn't her, but same breeder and same name as one of his sisters. Horrible to breed a puppy

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

WHAT DO I DO?!
I'd meet both the rescue dogs, and see how Astro takes to them. Maybe see if they offer a "trial adopt" period. Then, if neither one is a fit, breeder puppy!

Or just get all three. I know. I'm so helpful.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound

WHAT DO I DO?!
I'm biased and would be gunning for the 'houla... lol

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
Just because I haven't owned a dog, that doesn't mean I don't have experience with , or knowledge on dogs. Of course there will be others with dogs who have more experience & knowledge than me. Just because you own, or have something, it doesn't automatically mean that your more knowledgeable,than that said person who doesn't own or have that animal, or item.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!

WHAT DO I DO?!
It's the opposite for me ... too few options here :/

noludoru

Bored Now.
I'm so frustrated with Middie right now.

He ran out the door, into the street, and nearly into a car, and I just ended up screaming at him that I hope a car hits him and he dies. Then I went upstairs.

I don't think I should be owning a dog this week. I actually dislike him right now.

I wanna know what breed the breeder dog is :p and where in Canada :lol-sign:
I guess I'll come clean...Shar Pei. In Ontario.

I'd meet both the rescue dogs, and see how Astro takes to them. Maybe see if they offer a "trial adopt" period. Then, if neither one is a fit, breeder puppy!

Or just get all three. I know. I'm so helpful.
Oh believe me, if getting all three were an option, it'd be happening.

I'm biased and would be gunning for the 'houla... lol
She is super gorgeous. Like, one of the most visually stunning dogs I've ever seen. Red Merle, gold eyes, lots of splashy white - exactly what I tend to be drawn to in merles. And friendly and playful to boot...I bet Astro would love her.

I got more info. Little hound lady could be done as a foster-to-adopt/trial period, which makes her appealing.

The Pei litter is due early September, earlier than I expected, which means I'd have to put down a deposit now. Soooooo I kinda need to make decisions yesterday, but I wasn't expecting everything to happen so soon and all at once...

amberdyan

Just because I haven't owned a dog, that doesn't mean I don't have experience with , or knowledge on dogs. Of course there will be others with dogs who have more experience & knowledge than me. Just because you own, or have something, it doesn't automatically mean that your more knowledgeable,than that said person who doesn't own or have that animal, or item.
I can REALLY relate to you on this. Hugo (my current dog) is my first "just mine" dog (well, mine and my fiance). All the dogs I've had before have been family dogs. I wanted to get a dog as soon as I started college but I was so busy it wouldn't have been fair to the breeds I liked. So I spent the FIVE YEARS I was in college doing dog research and volunteering at two different shelters. I was around dogs ALL the time and people would still dismiss my opinion just because I didn't actually have a dog of my own. I had one specific friend who was thinking about getting a dog and had done ZERO research and when I started trying to talk breeds with him he said "well you don't really know though. You haven't had your own dog either." Bleh. Ignore them.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Wtf is it with people who charge a grand+ for mix breeds? Working mix breeds, okay, I get it. But YorkieShorkiePoos? Really? I distinctly recall my last mutt costing a whole $25.00 (yes, byb but I had no idea back then).

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but good lord. And I thought putting those pups in the paper for $100 was insane.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I might sign Juno up for a disc class just to laugh at ourselves. But summer is almost over so might as well?? I was more seriously considering signing Cajun up, but she's going to be taking another obed. class so I figured I'll give Juno the chance. It should be... interesting. If nothing else. :)

Slick

Kristina
I play sports and workout a lot. Both of these things require a lot of cones.

I officially have a dog who will sprint back and forth collecting all of the cones for me on command. I sit, point, and say "Go get it", and off Leo goes to collect the cone. He will go up to 30-40 feet away from me to get them, brings one back, then immediately turns around to grab the next one. Haha, best trick ever!

Ok fine, it probably takes about twice as long as if I just collected all of them at once. But still, it's awesome and I get to be lazy!

The coolest part is that I practically didn't even teach it.

I threw a cone for him ONCE, and he went and got it and brought it back. For me the game was over at that point, but he saw another cone, pounced on it and brought it to me. Lightbulb! I pointed to the next one "Go get it", he went for it, I praised him, and the rest is history.

I love dogs that live to please :)

teacuptiger

floor dancer
I play sports and workout a lot. Both of these things require a lot of cones.

I officially have a dog who will sprint back and forth collecting all of the cones for me on command. I sit, point, and say "Go get it", and off Leo goes to collect the cone. He will go up to 30-40 feet away from me to get them, brings one back, then immediately turns around to grab the next one. Haha, best trick ever!

Ok fine, it probably takes about twice as long as if I just collected all of them at once. But still, it's awesome and I get to be lazy!

The coolest part is that I practically didn't even teach it.

I threw a cone for him ONCE, and he went and got it and brought it back. For me the game was over at that point, but he saw another cone, pounced on it and brought it to me. Lightbulb! I pointed to the next one "Go get it", he went for it, I praised him, and the rest is history.

I love dogs that live to please :)

That is awesome :D

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
I guess I'll come clean...Shar Pei. In Ontario.

The Pei litter is due early September, earlier than I expected, which means I'd have to put down a deposit now. Soooooo I kinda need to make decisions yesterday, but I wasn't expecting everything to happen so soon and all at once...
I bet you can guess what my vote is going for :D

Is it Gumby Shar Pei?

Their dogs are absolutely gorgeous!!!

Members online

No members online now.