Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-22-2015, 10:51 PM
Top Dog

Two days ago Simba started straining to go potty, got him into the vet today, turns out he has a good amount of struvite crystals in his penis and bladder. Told us our options were surgery or put him to sleep, so surgery it is. My mom was the one who took him today, so she didn't set a date, as she wanted to talk with the family and look more into things - so not sure when his surgery date will be just yet. Poor old Bubba, but at least it's something where something can be done. The vet also mentioned a change in diet can help, as my mom does feed her dogs Diamond, at the least, but a lot of junky food through out their life, and junky treats now a lot, so this also took a step in the direction for her to try a better brand of food we picked out.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:40 PM
Bat Ears Only

I had been running Briz in the deep dry sand at the beach every day to help get us both in shape without shredding his pads. An oil spill has derailed my fitness program.

Brisbane CGC: ACD/devil
Ru: just like a dog only smaller
Brisbane's Bark Blog
Old 05-23-2015, 08:19 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruschnazzy View Post
Two days ago Simba started straining to go potty, got him into the vet today, turns out he has a good amount of struvite crystals in his penis and bladder. Told us our options were surgery or put him to sleep, so surgery it is. My mom was the one who took him today, so she didn't set a date, as she wanted to talk with the family and look more into things - so not sure when his surgery date will be just yet. Poor old Bubba, but at least it's something where something can be done. The vet also mentioned a change in diet can help, as my mom does feed her dogs Diamond, at the least, but a lot of junky food through out their life, and junky treats now a lot, so this also took a step in the direction for her to try a better brand of food we picked out.
For struvite crystals, IMO, I'd be feeding a prescription iet like C/D that is scientifically proven to prevent/dissolve the formation of crystals/stones. Me given advice when not asked for.

Bladder stones are no fun. Hope his surgery goes well!

Old 05-23-2015, 10:40 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
For struvite crystals, IMO, I'd be feeding a prescription iet like C/D that is scientifically proven to prevent/dissolve the formation of crystals/stones. Me given advice when not asked for.

Bladder stones are no fun. Hope his surgery goes well!
^^

For the record, Ella was eating Fromm and Acana when we found crystals, and had been eating that diet for almost 3 years already, so feeding a higher quality doesn't mean it'll prevent them.

Full disclosure: she's still eating Fromm, mixed with C/D. She list half her body weight when only on C/D, so that wouldn't work for us as a sole diet.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-23-2015, 10:58 AM
floor dancer

When your dog is just like, "oh, no other skin available to lick, may as well just go for my human's eyeballs REALLY HARD".

I have a very odd dog.

And I'll be what you need, you can call me anything
Old 05-23-2015, 08:31 PM
Top Dog

I broke Glitch. He was not acting like himself and seemed uncomfortable, so I had the vet look him over. As soon as his shoulder was touched, he cried. This dog is not limping, is full of energy and seemed fine until today.

Xrays show that he seems to have a shoulder with very little cartilage in one place, so the bones are rubbing and causing him pain. Two weeks of anti-inflammitories and rest and we'll redo the X-rays.

Someone please tell me that this isn't a big deal, and that he's not going to be ruined for agility later.

Obligatory Sad Glitch Picture

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:38 PM
Top Dog

For the diet, that's just what the vet was telling us - to have a food with higher protein & grain free to help prevent them. Never mentioned about a food for it.... Not saying wouldn't do other options, just that that's what we were told along with the surgery option or put to sleep option.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:14 PM
I'm All Ears

I met some super cool rat terrier breeder people I met on FB today at the AKC trial. Ridiculously friendly and really neat dogs. They think Hank may be 3/4 rat terrier and 1/4 cattle dog. They said you just don't get that much ticking on purebreds even though you see some. Plus he is just a bit coarse in bone and head compared to their standard sized ratties.
Old Yesterday, 12:10 AM
Top Dog

Amy and the entire Karma Collars gang are the best. A stone fell out of Fable's collar and I emailed her about it to see if she could repair it. She emailed me back and said that it absolutely could happen and that they would even pay for shipping. A short while later I have my beloved collar back looking as good as new. Best customer service and best collars ever!