WARNING! Zinc poisoning in dogs!

TheDeena

Passionate About My Animals
Joined
May 19, 2018
Messages
72
Likes
2
Points
8
Age
63
Location
Florida
#42
(from a horse magazine)


We heard from a reader that her one year old dog started falling over and acting sick. She took him to the vet, and it turned out he had eaten four pennies and a quarter at some time in his short life. The vet could not get the coins to pass through the stomach, so he ended up doing surgery to remove them.

U.S. pennies minted after 1982 have a copper coating around a zinc core, and contain roughly 2,440mg. of elemental zinc. One penny can cause zinc poisoning in animals. The vet explained that the smell of zinc seems to attract dogs. This particular dog had gotten on a dresser and picked out the coins containing zinc.

The zinc was breaking down in the gut and causing zinc poisoning. The red blood cells were exploding. The dog was suffering from anemia and the vet gave him some compound to help with couteracting the zinc. The had to do a blood transfusion and the bill was above $2,000.

Zinc posoning can also cause vomiting, diarrhea, jaundice, weight loss, anemia, seizures, and kidney failure. It's amazing that a simple thing like a penny can be so harmful. Be sure to tell yourkids to keep those pennies off the floor where the dog can't eat them.
Yes, it is unreal the harm of most things around the house that can be deadly. I have a one year old dog I have raised sine 8 weeks and she still is into everything. Make sure your dogs dont get a hold of softener sheets for the dryer they can make them very sick. Also, for this time of year, watch out for pointsettas. They are very poisonous also.
 
Top