So, the other day I bought a shock collar from walmart for Pebbs, my chihuahua. She has a HUGE barking problem, and I have a 5 month old, so that doesnt mix well when my baby girl is trying to get nappy time. The collar is remote controlled and it has 5 settings. I do not believe in putting your dog through something without putting yourself through it first. So I used the collar on myself on EVERY setting. So did my mom and my fiance. On the 1st setting I barely even noticed the shock. The 5th setting was very noticeable, but I was surprised that it wasn't really "painful". It was more of scare than anything. It tenses your muscles like a muscle stimulator. So I put it on Pebbs and she did nothing on the 1st setting, so I pushed it up to 1.5. Even on that setting you can barely even tell if she can feel it. Her hair just stands on end for a sec. like shes been spooked. Its been 3 days, and I have only had to use it TWICE. Thats it. She caught on QUICK. She is bark free. Sometimes I have to beep it to warn her, but after she hears that beep, she shuts right up. The product is AMAZING. Better than I ever thought. I love the thing. And to be truthful, being sprayed in the face with lemon juice from a spray collar is way harsher that a shock collar.