Please Keep Lilly in Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Dogs - General Dog Chat' started by StillandSilent, Jan 1, 2008.

  1. StillandSilent

    StillandSilent New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2006
    Messages:
    2,550
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    2
    Lilly just got back from the vet. As some of you may know, she has had cancer for the past 6 years. It started with a tumor on her nose that we had removed on September 11, 2001. Tests showed she had a spindle fiber tumor.
    It came back in 2005 and was removed again. It came back a few months ago for a third time. Just a few weeks ago, I noticed another, smaller tumor on her nose, almost touching the black part. So back to the vet we went.
    He examined her and tells us we basically have two choices:
    1) We can remove both tumors ($600-$700). The smaller tumor will need a drain and she will likely be in an E-collar for 3-4 weeks.
    2) We can do nothing, and play it by ear.
    If the tumor is going to be removed, he wants it done within the next month. There is no guarentee that removing the tumor will extend her life, and chances are virtually nil that the entire cancer will be removed. If we do remove it, it will likely come back within the next year.
    If we don't remove it, it could grow to the point where it splits her skin open. This isn't very likely, considering it's growing so slowly now, but if it does, it will be a huge mess.
    Our family has some difficult decisions to make in the next week or so. Lilly is 11 years old, and I hate the thought of putting her under for an unessecery procedure. On the other hand, I don't want to do nothing and then wish I had in a few months.
    Please pray for her and hope that whatever decision we make is the right one for her.
     
  2. Renee750il

    Renee750il Felurian

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2003
    Messages:
    94,266
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Occupation:
    3, Bimmer, GSDX (m); Kharma, Fila Brasileiro (f);
    Location:
    Where the selas blooms
    Home Page:
    While you are considering, please get her some Essiac tea and give her 1/4 cup two or three times a day. I've seen it do some amazing things with tumors - cancerous or otherwise.
     
  3. Baxter'smybaby

    Baxter'smybaby swimming upstream

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2007
    Messages:
    21,977
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Occupation:
    3 dogs
    Location:
    NY
    Sending you good thoughts and prayers--I hope you are able to make the best decision for you and Lilly.
     
  4. Buddy'sParents

    Buddy'sParents *Finding My Inner Fila*

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2005
    Messages:
    25,376
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Sending you good vibes!
     
  5. Whisper

    Whisper Kaleidoscopic Eye

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2006
    Messages:
    13,747
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    4; 2 dogs, 2 cats
    I'm so sorry you have to make this kind of decision. Lilly and your family are in my thoughts.
     
  6. bubbatd

    bubbatd Moderator

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2004
    Messages:
    64,812
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I can't advise ,but will send good vibes that you choose what is best for the both of you . You've done well by her so far . Whatever will keep her with you the longest without her suffering . Hugs and pats to you both .
     
  7. naturesgift

    naturesgift Mo Wildlife Rehabber

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2007
    Messages:
    808
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Mo
    I will be keeping yu and Lily in my prayers. *hugs* to you. and doggie hugs to Lily.
     
  8. joce

    joce Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2005
    Messages:
    4,448
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Occupation:
    6
    Location:
    Ohio
    We are going through this with my older beagle right now who is fifteen. Difference is we just had hers removed for 80$ so it wasn't that hard of a decision. If it comes back we'll probably get it off again but honestly if it cost that much we probably would not have in the first place since there is such a big chance of it coming back. Not to mention I question my girl going under for surgery again.

    Hers was about dime sized and stayed that way for about two months so we were just going to leave it but then her head swelled from what we think must have been an infection in the area around the tumor. She went on antibiotics and it went down and we got it out.

    If its not growing then let her be if you question putting her under. then if it starts to grow you can always do the surgery then. Whatever you decide I'll be thinking of your pup.
     
  9. Barb04

    Barb04 Love my pets Staff Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2004
    Messages:
    27,416
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Tennessee
    My thoughts and prayers are with you both.
     
  10. smkie

    smkie pointer/labrador/terrier Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2004
    Messages:
    55,166
    Likes Received:
    35
    Trophy Points:
    48
    (((((((((((((HUgs)))))))))))))))))and prayers
     
  11. ACooper

    ACooper Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2007
    Messages:
    27,771
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    IN
    Lots of vibes and prayers coming your way
     
  12. goldiefur

    goldiefur New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2006
    Messages:
    1,216
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I'm praying for Lilly.
     
  13. adojrts

    adojrts New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2006
    Messages:
    4,089
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    7
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    I am sure whatever decision you make it will be the right one and she knows it.
    Hugs and prayers

    Lynn
     

Share This Page