my dog ate chocolate, now what?

Discussion in 'Dog Health Care' started by fwed, Nov 23, 2008.

  1. fwed

    fwed New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    Messages:
    52
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Hi, I have a 10lb terrier, I got done eating a macdonalds Hot fudge sundae and i was all done, there was a little bit of ice cream on the sides as well as some sticky peices of fudge on the side, and my dog got into it and started licking it, he licked it for maybe 25 seconds or so....so should I be worreid? is that enough to make him sick? what should I do?
     
  2. bubbatd

    bubbatd Moderator

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2004
    Messages:
    64,812
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I doubt if there was enough to worry about .
     
  3. Renee750il

    Renee750il Felurian

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2003
    Messages:
    94,266
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Occupation:
    3, Bimmer, GSDX (m); Kharma, Fila Brasileiro (f);
    Location:
    Where the selas blooms
    Home Page:
    There shouldn't have been enough there to hurt him :)
     
  4. Zoom

    Zoom Twin 2.0

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2005
    Messages:
    40,739
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Denver, CO
    He'll be fine. :)

    For contrast, my 77lb lab ate 5lbs of See's chocolate and while hyper as all hell for a day or so, she was fine.
     
  5. dogaddict

    dogaddict New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2007
    Messages:
    30
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    My dog has done the EXACT same thing with my macs sundae leftovers, I was so worried but he was perfectly fine. I hope yours will be too! I called my vet who said the chocolate content was too little to do any harm, but just monitor him for a couple of days and see how it goes.
     
  6. Fran101

    Fran101 Resident fainting goat

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2008
    Messages:
    12,548
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Boston
    my friends mastiff ate an entire chocolate bunny. she took him to the vet but it all turned out fine, he just had an upset tummy
     
  7. vanillasugar

    vanillasugar just call me Nilly

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2005
    Messages:
    6,829
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    3
    Location:
    Peterborough, Ontario
    I would be SHOCKED if hot fudge from McDonalds had any actual cocoa in it. I would not worry in the least.

    It's cocoa that's toxic, and most milk or processed chocolate has little to no cocoa in it, which means the toxicity is little to none.
     

Share This Page