Ate lots of chocolate............

Discussion in 'Dog Health Care' started by mjb, Sep 13, 2011.

  1. mjb

    mjb New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2006
    Messages:
    2,194
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    3
    Location:
    Florida
    Spanky ate quite a bit of semi-sweet chocolate. He found a 12 oz. bag of choc chips that was pretty full. They were left out, and he ate them after we went to bed last night.

    He wouldn't eat this morning, which was a sign that something was wrong. He lives to eat. He was drinking huge amounts of water, and he was acting like he didn't feel good. Then I found the empty bag.

    I called the vet and took him in. He's been there all day, and he will spend the night at the Emergency Vet Hospital. The vet induced vomiting, and was giving lots of fluids to flush the toxin out.

    They said the toxic level which is when seizures and heart erythmia start is 60 mg/kg, and he was at 103 mg/kg. He has not had a seizure, and his heart has been fine.

    Spanky seems to be doing okay. The vet says the first 24 hours are the most critical, but it can take up to 72 hours to get rid of all the toxin.

    Has anyone had this scenario and know what we should expect for the next few days?
     
  2. Dizzy

    Dizzy Sit! Good dog.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2005
    Messages:
    17,761
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Occupation:
    Not enough.
    Location:
    Wales
    I don't have a lot to offer except bodhi has eaten tons of chocolate in the past and she's never had a problem, so could be all ok.

    I might add, this wasn't given to her, its the only thing she will sniff out and steal. I can leave an open bag of dog food and it won't be touched, but stash a choc bar somewhere and she'll find it. She once ate a whole box of luxury chocs which she found, wrapped, under the Xmas tree...

    Thankfully never had a reaction, so fingers crossed :)
     
  3. poodlesmom

    poodlesmom New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2004
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    2
    Location:
    Halfmoon, NY
    How scary! Sending good vibes to Spanky!
     
  4. elegy

    elegy overdogged

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2006
    Messages:
    7,720
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Home Page:
    It seems some dogs are more sensitive than others. Here's hoping that Spanky is not an especially sensitive dog and that he cruises through his recovery without a hitch!
     

Share This Page