Tell me about Shelties!

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
As some of you are already aware- I'm considering getting a dog in the next four to six years(possibly more). This depends on multitude of different circumstances such as, whether or not I'm financially stable, if I have the time to commit to training, exercising,& raising a dog, if I have the proper knowledge on the breed I want,& a few other things. Basically, I'm not looking to get a dog until after college, for reasons stated above. I feel as though it wouldn't be the right for time of me in college, because, most likely, I wouldn't have the time to fully commit to a dog. Of course this could potentially change, but for right now, getting a dog in college, wouldn't happen.

Anyways, back on to topic(& sorry about all the rambling.).

I would like to note that a Sheltie is(& has) a breed on the top of my list of considerations. They seem like awesome little dogs, however, I've never met one in real life,but plan to in the future. Basically the reason why I'm asking these question is because I want research as many breeds as possible(that I'm interested in) before I truly consider what breeds I want. I just want to narrowing down what breed I want(or do not want.)

The Questions

I'm aware that they are more uncommon breed, but there are some traits that appeal to me. This definitely doesn't mean that I will own one, but, I'd just like to hear more about the breed,& what your experience has been.

What is their drive like?

How "trainable" are they?

How "Velcro" are they?

Usually, how are they with other animals? Do they have a tendency for DA, or DR?

What is their overall temperament like?

What lines, or breeders per-say should I avoid?

What is their "view" on people? What's their reaction when they meet at unknown person?

And, just because... What are three words to describe the breeds overall temperament?

Anything else?

MrsBoats

Legion of Zoom Den Mother
Back when I was your age (about 28 years ago)...I grew up with two shelties. :) We had a farm and they were farm dogs who were outside 24/7. (I know...I know...they did stay in the barn in bad weather.) One, my parents got from someone who lived in a trailer and posted her in the classifieds to get rehome her (she most likely was the product of a backyard breeder.) The other came from a decent breeder and was more working lines. Bambi who came from the trailer park had a lot of energy with no off button what so ever...she ran in circles and tried to herd barn swallows and airplanes all day because she just couldn't stop moving. She would have made an amazing performance dog if I had been into that instead of riding horses when I was a teen. Jill who came from the decent breeder was a much more mellow dog with an off button. Jill did have significant sound sensitivity and thunder storms would scare the hell out of her. She would join in on herding airplanes and barn swallows because Bambi did it...but she wasn't driven to move like Bambi was.

It's been a long time since I've owned a Sheltie...they were cool, smart little dogs. I don't ever want to own a long coated dog ever again. That is related to those Shelties because since they were farm dogs, they were a disaster to keep up. We lived in upstate New York and spring was also know as "Mud Season." They were caked in mud from March until May. Then came the burdock and tangles and mats. So, I would never have another sheltie or long coated dog ever again eventhough I could easily keep their coats looking nice. I'm damaged from muddy, matted farm Shelties. LOL

On to your questions and my answers are coming from the Shelties that I see every weekend at agility trials.

Drive: as with any breed, you'll have individuals with different levels of drive which depend on their lines. I have seen Shelties in agility where their handlers can out-run and stay ahead of their pokey little dogs. Then I see Shelties who fly around agility courses like they have a rocket stuffed up their butts...and then bite at their handlers when they are trying to get a leash on them because their adrenaline is off the charts from the run. I think it's a good idea to really research lines and families of Shelties so you can get an idea of how intense the dogs in those lines are. I will say that the higher drive a sheltie is...the more they bark, and bark, and bark, and bark. (I don't like barky dogs...rottweilers aren't typically barky.)

Trainable: I would consider Shelties to be very easy to train and biddable.

Velcro dogs: Bambi was my dog and Jill was my brother's dog. Bambi was my velcro dog and wherever I was, she was. Jill was a little bit more aloof. I usually don't see Shelties outside of their sports (agility, obedience, etc.) so, I'm not sure what they are with their owners just as regular everyday stuff.

Other animals: The majority of the shelties I see are very tolerant of other animals and dogs. I wouldn't say that DR or DA is a problem in the breed.

Temperament: They are happy dogs who are willing to please. The ones I see can be barky. My Bambi just couldn't shut up...running in circles and barking for the sake of barking. That would drive me nuts now as an adult. I do see some Shelties who are shy...and I do see others who are outgoing and bold.

If you are looking for strictly a pet...stay away from high drive working lines. Dogs who are driven to work are not necessarily good pets...they need to do something. And if they don't have something to do...they will find something to do and most likely it's something you're not going to want or like them to do. LOL

I don't remember our dogs being suspicious of people. They were good "alert dogs" on the farm...if someone pulled into the driveway, you definitely knew it with all of the barking. LOL They don't seem to be freaked out by new people from what I see at the agility trials.

Three words to sum up a Sheltie - Active, smart, and biddable.

Anything else - if you get a sheltie, you really should consider doing **something** with it. I think even a lower drive Sheltie would really appreciate a "job" so to speak.

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
Note on this:

I'm not looking for a dog that's "easy to train". What I am looking for is dog who is biddable, more then trainable

Anything else - if you get a sheltie, you really should consider doing **something** with it. I think even a lower drive Sheltie would really appreciate a "job" so to speak.
Definitely!

Agility looks really enjoyable,& looks like a blast, so that's definitely something that will happen. Frisbee/disc dog looks fun too, as with Freestyle.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I grew up with three Shelties and spent time around a lot more via trey's breeder and agility. I lost my last sheltie about 6 years ago. My first two Shelties were pet bred- one from a farm and the third was from an agility breeder but the stud was a very famous show dog.

I have never met a DA Sheltie but one of mine was a cat killer and small animal killer. The others were fine with small animals.

Questions

Drive varies a lot in them. Some are very calm and stately and others are crackheads. They certainly are one of the most prominent agility and obedience breeds.

They are very trainable and biddable in general. Like I said very common breed for small sporty dogs.

Mine weren't that Velcro really. I mean they wanted to be with us but at a distance. The paps are much more Velcro. Trey would usually be lying in the hallway near my room not in my room. The paps want to sleep with me but the Shelties never would. They got too hot.

Overall temperament varies tons because like I said some are very calm and others very high energy. Shelties are usually bred either as a pet/show dog purely or for high level agility and its virtually like different breeds. My first was very wild an fun. The second was a bossy bitchy girl who was very smart and headstrong. My third was very herdy and the most athletic but also shy and timid. I find the breed as a whole to be softer comparatively. That's not to say all are very soft little things but they seem softer than a lot of breeds. CoughcoughHank. Paps are softer in a similar way ime.

Other people vary... Breed is supposed to be aloof/wary. Only one of mine was. Nikki was choosy though. Trey was terribly shy.

Mine were vocal but only trey was of the barky all the time while running mold. They were hairy though- all of them.

3 words I'd say would be biddable, lively, loud?

Last edited:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
My Shelties were all 'just pets' and fine including the agility bred one. In fact they were really easy dogs to live with if the barking doesn't bother you.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Lived with my brother's sheltie for a long while. She was over size (very common in the breed). She is a very sweet dog. Loved people - especially children. She is also very active and relatively healthy going into older age.

She lives to please - very driven to a fault in that she has to find outlets for this drive that may or may not be appropriate. If she is breathing she is barking - barks when she's happy, barks when she's sad, barks in her sleep. If you can't stand barking - don't get a sheltie. If you have neighbors who are close and aren't deaf - don't get a sheltie.

Very handler sensitive as is typical of most herders. Lex seems to know what is happening before it is happening. Knows which keys mean car ride - knows which leash means where we're going.

She has a few OCD things. She circles by default. It always means she's kind of floating around. The dog herds rocks and actually wore a path in the backyard that you can still see on google earth. She also has a thing about making a mess in water.

I don't have any direct experience with them but they are fairly common up here, there's a couple bybs of them locally. One of the humane society ladies I know has had two and "loves" them, the first one was a double merle, she fosters kittens only and one day the dog grabbed one of them and killed it so she put the dog down.
Sheltie #2 she drug to "dog whisperer" trainer, then rehomed it for barking, it ran off and was missing for several months, then she took it back, debarked it and a year or so later he started having bad seizures and was put down. I wouldn't say hers were particularly drivey but had their moments when revved up and would chase/herd her cats, could be snarky with the other animals but not to the point of fights and super barky, to the point of neighbor complaints. Both were kind of skittish/shy but maybe the poor breeding. They are totally not a breed for me.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I have owned six. Happy was from a puppymill. Kota was a rescue who was found wandering the streets eating trash so no idea where he came from. Auggie, Pepper, Payton, and Georgie are all breeder dogs from lines that are Ch and working (all but Payton grew up on a farm with sheep out their window.) but skew heavily working. My current crew are admittedly not typical because they are bred to be working dogs, so my answers are going to be somewhat skewed.

This is a tough question because the definition of drive varies by person, but with my definition... Happy and Kota were not really drivey dogs. They were adaptable, thrilled to go for walks and run and play in the backyard but neither were really much for long hikes - and they were quite pleased to do nothing all day ever. For the majority of their life they were in an apartment with no yard or a townhouse with a postage stamp that was called a yard.
The rest are varying degrees.
Pepper is what you might call a joiner. I don't see a lot of drive in her by herself, but she loves to run with the rest; if the other three are chasing down a rabbit, say, she will go after them to join in the fun.
Georgie is pretty drivey but her personality is also soft. She can be upset easily and change her mind about doing something if her feelings get hurt; I don't think she would make a good sheepdog for that reason. I think she is more likely to lose interest and leave if a sheep tries to stare her down than to return the stare and turn it. She is what some people might call busy but not a constant go-er, nor does she really suffer if she doesn't have much to do.
Auggie is also fairly drivey and has a harder temperament. He is resilient. That said, he is also adaptable, and while he would much prefer to be running around getting plenty of exercise, he is also happy to spend a lot of time just chasing a ball in the house. He will get bored and destructive if not occupied, but it's not a dire situation with him.
Payton has the most drive and is a lot of dog. He did not come with a hard temperament but I've really worked hard to get his personality tougher and rougher and more bounce-back-able and I think I've succeeded based on the changes in the dog and comments bystanders have given me on him. He has not been on sheep yet so I can't for sure judge yet but no lack of drive on this dog. He really needs some kind of mental stimulation (physical is okay but it's really about working his brain) or he is bored and becomes very... um... annoying to live with.

It depends on the dog of course, but all of them were relatively easy to train and good to pick up on tricks.

How "Velcro" are they?
This again depends on the dog and also depends on your definition of velcro. Pepper is a wants-to-be-touching-you-always kind of dog, actually more of a wants-to-be-one-with-you kind of dog. Neither Happy nor Kota really cared that much about making sure they knew where you were or had to be touching you or anything. Auggie likes to know where you are but doesn't necessarily need to be in the same room, although when he was younger he definitely liked to stay in the room with somebody - he would alternate between being in a room with my parents and then make sure I was still where I was and hang out with me, then go back to check on my parents, repeat. He may or may not follow me if I get up and leave the room - he might wait to see if I come back and eventually follow if I don't. Georgie is pretty much like that. Unless Payton is running around playing, he will not let me out of a general line of sight - he doesn't want me to get up and leave the room without him. He wants to follow me from room to room.

Usually, how are they with other animals? Do they have a tendency for DA, or DR?
DA and DR aren't typical. Auggie was raised around farm cats so he thinks they're something to play with. Payton wasn't and I don't think he sees them as something to go after, but I worry that if my neighbour's cats ever come into the yard and then take off or something, he might chase it, and if he catches it... I don't think it would be good. Auggie and Payton both have nabbed squirrels and rabbits, Auggie has nabbed birds. Auggie has never bitten or tried to grab wool while herding, not sure about P because he hasn't been on sheep yet.

This is a tough one to answer because I think there's a typical temperament and then there's the working temperament which I have in Auggie, Payton, and Georgie, and then there's Pepper who is the oddball of course. I agree that generally speaking they are easy to live with dogs. I don't overall think they need "jobs" - Kota and Happy certainly didn't and Pepper doesn't. The sport dogs obviously love their sport and love to play, Payton loves DOING in general, but I think Georgie would be fine without a "job" and Auggie is super adaptable in general, he has transitioned well to not doing a lot of agility training and very very little trialing. I have known many a sheltie, even sport ones, who would be fine without much to do. A non-working bred sheltie is easily a couch potato dog. Payton's sister, as it happens, is a huge couch potato.

If you ever want to PM me to look into a breeder or ask around about them, I'd be happy to. I have connections in the breed and connections who have connections LOL, so somebody usually knows something about somebody or knows they are somebody not worth knowing shall we say.

What is their "view" on people? What's their reaction when they meet at unknown person?
Laur is correct that "aloof" is the proper temperament - according to the old school breeders that is specifically NOT shy and shyness is actually incorrect - just aloof. Kota fit this perfectly. Content to greet people and have them pet him, but his main concern was really his people. Pepper is terrified of most people. The rest love people. Auggie and Georgie will both tackle a stranger if given the chance, although Auggie is much better now that he is older and basically waits for permission to tackle - which is Payton's trained response, to wait until I give him permission and then he will go greet somebody with enthusiasm. Happy would practically whine himself to death if there was a person looking at him or smiling at him and he couldn't say hi. I would prefer a dog to come with a more aloof temperament, honestly, but I will take the enthusiasm over Pepper's reaction every day of the week.

And, just because... What are three words to describe the breeds overall temperament?

Uhhh... fun... clever... cute? LOL.

I will say barking is just part of the breed. I don't own "trouble barkers" but I know some people who have them. It's just a thing and if you can't stand barking, look elsewhere.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I didn't think so much about drive when I had mine. Rosie would have probably been the best agility dog looking back at it. She had the most toy drive. But she was so big she'd have been in a 'border collie' height class. Trey was too shy for agility but had good food drive as did Nikki. Trey had no toy drive at all but Nikki had some. Trey was the most motion reactive and the only one that heeled very badly.

My dogs weren't that barky- probably about as barky as the paps tend to be. Mia and Summer are really loud though so probably skews that. I do see shelties in agility that drive me up the walls. One I know is debarked and I have never been around that dog when he was not barking the entire time. I hope he's not like that at home because I have no idea how anyone lives with him.

Mine had quirks but in general weren't as obsessive as I hear some people warn. Nikki had the most in the way of obsessions... generally involving the chinchilla and howling along with noises and songs.

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
Thanks for all the kind replies, I really appreciate it. So sorry for the late replies, I've been slacking off(*cough*procrastinating*cough*).

I grew up with three Shelties and spent time around a lot more via trey's breeder and agility. I lost my last sheltie about 6 years ago. My first two Shelties were pet bred- one from a farm and the third was from an agility breeder but the stud was a very famous show dog.

I have never met a DA Sheltie but one of mine was a cat killer and small animal killer. The others were fine with small animals.

Questions

Drive varies a lot in them. Some are very calm and stately and others are crackheads. They certainly are one of the most prominent agility and obedience breeds.

They are very trainable and biddable in general. Like I said very common breed for small sporty dogs.

Mine weren't that Velcro really. I mean they wanted to be with us but at a distance. The paps are much more Velcro. Trey would usually be lying in the hallway near my room not in my room. The paps want to sleep with me but the Shelties never would. They got too hot.

Overall temperament varies tons because like I said some are very calm and others very high energy. Shelties are usually bred either as a pet/show dog purely or for high level agility and its virtually like different breeds. My first was very wild an fun. The second was a bossy bitchy girl who was very smart and headstrong. My third was very herdy and the most athletic but also shy and timid. I find the breed as a whole to be softer comparatively. That's not to say all are very soft little things but they seem softer than a lot of breeds. CoughcoughHank. Paps are softer in a similar way ime.

Other people vary... Breed is supposed to be aloof/wary. Only one of mine was. Nikki was choosy though. Trey was terribly shy.

Mine were vocal but only trey was of the barky all the time while running mold. They were hairy though- all of them.

3 words I'd say would be biddable, lively, loud?
The one "trait"(so to speak)that really does concern me about the breed is shyness. From what I've heard it is a undesirable trait to so many individuals, but it is still prevalent in the breed.

Barking is another thing, the biggest reason is- because most likely I will be living in apartment at this time, & from researching barking can become a huge issue. Training can help...but it can't eliminate it. So, that is also something else I'm concerned about.

Hairy dogs really don't bother me, I'm use to it. Seriously, there's usually fur floating around. And it's everywhere.:rofl1:

Which leads to another question- On average, how many times per week did you [have to] brush your Shelties? What about when the blow their coats?

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
Cont.
I have owned six. Happy was from a puppymill. Kota was a rescue who was found wandering the streets eating trash so no idea where he came from. Auggie, Pepper, Payton, and Georgie are all breeder dogs from lines that are Ch and working (all but Payton grew up on a farm with sheep out their window.) but skew heavily working. My current crew are admittedly not typical because they are bred to be working dogs, so my answers are going to be somewhat skewed.

This is a tough question because the definition of drive varies by person, but with my definition... Happy and Kota were not really drivey dogs. They were adaptable, thrilled to go for walks and run and play in the backyard but neither were really much for long hikes - and they were quite pleased to do nothing all day ever. For the majority of their life they were in an apartment with no yard or a townhouse with a postage stamp that was called a yard.
The rest are varying degrees.
Pepper is what you might call a joiner. I don't see a lot of drive in her by herself, but she loves to run with the rest; if the other three are chasing down a rabbit, say, she will go after them to join in the fun.
Georgie is pretty drivey but her personality is also soft. She can be upset easily and change her mind about doing something if her feelings get hurt; I don't think she would make a good sheepdog for that reason. I think she is more likely to lose interest and leave if a sheep tries to stare her down than to return the stare and turn it. She is what some people might call busy but not a constant go-er, nor does she really suffer if she doesn't have much to do.
Auggie is also fairly drivey and has a harder temperament. He is resilient. That said, he is also adaptable, and while he would much prefer to be running around getting plenty of exercise, he is also happy to spend a lot of time just chasing a ball in the house. He will get bored and destructive if not occupied, but it's not a dire situation with him.
Payton has the most drive and is a lot of dog. He did not come with a hard temperament but I've really worked hard to get his personality tougher and rougher and more bounce-back-able and I think I've succeeded based on the changes in the dog and comments bystanders have given me on him. He has not been on sheep yet so I can't for sure judge yet but no lack of drive on this dog. He really needs some kind of mental stimulation (physical is okay but it's really about working his brain) or he is bored and becomes very... um... annoying to live with.

It depends on the dog of course, but all of them were relatively easy to train and good to pick up on tricks.

How "Velcro" are they?
This again depends on the dog and also depends on your definition of velcro. Pepper is a wants-to-be-touching-you-always kind of dog, actually more of a wants-to-be-one-with-you kind of dog. Neither Happy nor Kota really cared that much about making sure they knew where you were or had to be touching you or anything. Auggie likes to know where you are but doesn't necessarily need to be in the same room, although when he was younger he definitely liked to stay in the room with somebody - he would alternate between being in a room with my parents and then make sure I was still where I was and hang out with me, then go back to check on my parents, repeat. He may or may not follow me if I get up and leave the room - he might wait to see if I come back and eventually follow if I don't. Georgie is pretty much like that. Unless Payton is running around playing, he will not let me out of a general line of sight - he doesn't want me to get up and leave the room without him. He wants to follow me from room to room.

DA and DR aren't typical. Auggie was raised around farm cats so he thinks they're something to play with. Payton wasn't and I don't think he sees them as something to go after, but I worry that if my neighbour's cats ever come into the yard and then take off or something, he might chase it, and if he catches it... I don't think it would be good. Auggie and Payton both have nabbed squirrels and rabbits, Auggie has nabbed birds. Auggie has never bitten or tried to grab wool while herding, not sure about P because he hasn't been on sheep yet.

This is a tough one to answer because I think there's a typical temperament and then there's the working temperament which I have in Auggie, Payton, and Georgie, and then there's Pepper who is the oddball of course. I agree that generally speaking they are easy to live with dogs. I don't overall think they need "jobs" - Kota and Happy certainly didn't and Pepper doesn't. The sport dogs obviously love their sport and love to play, Payton loves DOING in general, but I think Georgie would be fine without a "job" and Auggie is super adaptable in general, he has transitioned well to not doing a lot of agility training and very very little trialing. I have known many a sheltie, even sport ones, who would be fine without much to do. A non-working bred sheltie is easily a couch potato dog. Payton's sister, as it happens, is a huge couch potato.

If you ever want to PM me to look into a breeder or ask around about them, I'd be happy to. I have connections in the breed and connections who have connections LOL, so somebody usually knows something about somebody or knows they are somebody not worth knowing shall we say.

Laur is correct that "aloof" is the proper temperament - according to the old school breeders that is specifically NOT shy and shyness is actually incorrect - just aloof. Kota fit this perfectly. Content to greet people and have them pet him, but his main concern was really his people. Pepper is terrified of most people. The rest love people. Auggie and Georgie will both tackle a stranger if given the chance, although Auggie is much better now that he is older and basically waits for permission to tackle - which is Payton's trained response, to wait until I give him permission and then he will go greet somebody with enthusiasm. Happy would practically whine himself to death if there was a person looking at him or smiling at him and he couldn't say hi. I would prefer a dog to come with a more aloof temperament, honestly, but I will take the enthusiasm over Pepper's reaction every day of the week.

Uhhh... fun... clever... cute? LOL.

I will say barking is just part of the breed. I don't own "trouble barkers" but I know some people who have them. It's just a thing and if you can't stand barking, look elsewhere.
Yay! I am so glad you've answered.

I'd definitely enjoy having a Drivey dog. It's a huge trait in when considering breeds.I
I have no problem with going with a breed that tends to be aloof, actually, I'd prefer it.I'd prefer a dog that is more bonded to his humans, & tends to ignore, or just not be like a Lab.lol. However, I'd be fine with a Sheltie like Auggie.

If I ever do have question, I'll surely PM you.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Just related to coats, they should blow the same as any other double coated breed. Normally right around spring and fall.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Most shelties I meet through agility are not shy. I know many and none are shy though they are mostly not over the top forwardly friendly towards people- not like a lab or anything. Of mine, one was horribly, horribly shy but then again Mia is pretty shy too so I'm not sure it's a breed thing so much. I'd pick breeder and line carefully and be very clear what kind of dog you are looking for. If you want to do agility, it'll be easier with a confident dog.

Mine would have been fine in an apartment but I know several shelties that wouldn't be fine without debarking. That would be something I'd talk to the breeder about. I have also met some really quiet shelties so it's not like the breed as a whole is neurotic barkers. They definitely exist in the breed though.

I did not brush my dogs nearly enough. Once a week or so most weeks. During shedding season we'd brush them out a few times a week but they'd still make tumbleweeds.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Every one of my dogs has a person they much prefer... Auggie is very obviously my dog as opposed to anybody else in the house, Payton is a HUGE mama's boy. Pepper is practically addicted to me. =P Georgie digs hanging out with me, sometimes my mom gets a little offended by how much she loves me (especially at an agility trial, she only has eyes for me...) but she is definitely my mom's dog. I have found them to be one-person dogs, even if they enjoy the company of other people - they just have one person who is clearly their favorite and that's how it is.

Payton has the heaviest coat and he also tends to be the dirtiest, so he gets brushed the most - but even that is, um... I mean, yesterday I "brushed" him by taking my pin brush and going over his chest hair for about 60 seconds to knock out the dirt and tangles. Before that... well, I did give everybody a serious grooming once-over before we did our Christmas photos two weeks ago, so I guess two weeks before? Auggie sometimes gets a brush down his underbelly because he gets clumpy between his front legs. Pepper hardly ever gets brushed because she hardly ever has any real coat to speak of. It's very very infrequent that I brush my dogs. Maybe once every couple of weeks, and usually it is not a full-on grooming. Payton does get a decent brushing before we go trial somewhere because he needs to look presentable. Nobody else really gets brushed that often, and since we're in off-season Payton is going to get brushed less now, haha.

As far as grooming and blowing their coats, I do all my grooming myself, so when they start to blow coat, the best thing to do is give them a nice warm bath and then blow them out with a forced air dryer. I do the drying outside so the hair doesn't go everywhere in the house. Then the next day (I usually wait until the next day so the coat has plenty of time to fully dry) I line brush them. That takes care of a majority of the shedding around that time. From there it's maybe a little tuft that will start to creep out, but the majority of it is gone from the bath and forced air drying.
I actually prefer sheltie shedding to a lot of other shedding LOL. It's soft and it kind of tumbleweeds like Laur says, as opposed to like a GSD or husky who just drop spiky little hairs all over the place and it doesn't clump up or tumbleweed together.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah once a week brushing was kind of generous lol. More like every 2, maybe 3 weeks most the year.

I definitely prefer sheltie shedding to Hank shedding. Hank shedding is spiky hairs and it is constant.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Yeah once a week brushing was kind of generous lol. More like every 2, maybe 3 weeks most the year.

I definitely prefer sheltie shedding to Hank shedding. Hank shedding is spiky hairs and it is constant.
Is he single coated? ACD hair is not what I would call spikey at all. Sticks to everything and constant, but really soft. Boxer hair on the other hand will stab you. I almost wonder if that is the terrier?

Sorry for hijacking. I like the zoom groom for blowing coats as well. Use it during the bath, then forced air, then brush for three days and done!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Longer than a dobe but shorter than a lab?

I do think he has a single coat. It's obnoxiously sheddy though.

Members online

No members online now.