Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-25-2013, 09:57 AM
such sights to show you

I enjoy both, it's hard for me to choose. Pip is very aloof with strangers, he just doesn't care to interact with them the vast majority of the time so on walks, hikes, at the dog park, etc it is super easy for me because I know we can just do our thing and mind our business without interruptions.

On the other hand, it can sure be fun to be out and about with Squash... he loves everyone and everyone loves him, and I don't worry about him being inappropriate with people. But it can also be exhausting for this introvert to interact with a lot of strangers.

Maisy is also a super people-friendly dog but most people seem put off by her appearance.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:16 AM
orange iguanas.

I would prefer neutral. A dog who is disinterested and doesn't feel the need to assault every stranger with love, but still friendly and okay with getting attention from others.

I have 2 that are more fearful of strangers. And then there's Happy who will walk up to anybody and politely stand there and wait for petting. I don't mind that.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 06-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Mae View Post
1) Do you prefer a dog who is friendly with strangers/etc or a more aloof dog?
2) How do your own dog(s) compare to your preferences?
I like dogs that don't really care but can engage to please friendly strangers who're seeking them out.

Arnold is smoochy for a passing second and then over it.

Shamoo is overtly friendly and rough with her affection. It's all about the arm noms, body slams, jumps, yips, and loves. She overwhelms most everyone. It's largely a manners issue but we just manage it with warnings and shrugs, she's old, whatever.

Backup sometimes seeks a pat on the head but he's similar to a cat. "You will pet me three times, no more, no less."

Sloan is casual, she'll stand for petting but it's clear she's not interested in it.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Shamoo is overtly friendly and rough with her affection. It's all about the arm noms, body slams, jumps, yips, and loves. She overwhelms most everyone. It's largely a manners issue but we just manage it with warnings and shrugs, she's old, whatever.
I would totally make out with Moo and laugh when she knocked me on my ass.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:39 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I prefer a friendly, but reserved/polite dog, if that makes sense.

For example, if a stranger wanted to come up and pet my dog, I would like a dog that would say, "Oh, hello!" and accept/enjoy the petting. But I wouldn't want a dog to go "Oh, HAI!!!!!!!!! Hello! How are you! I'm awesome, see me?! Come pet me!!!" to everyone it sees.

Both Cynder and Abrams are what I like. Polite and will accept petting from friendly strangers, but they don't go out of their way to say "hi" to everyone.

Chloe is the opposite, though. She gets super excited to see people and runs up to them...and then when they go to pet her, she'll often snap. Hooray for my unpredictable dog that now cannot have anyone touch her in public.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Top Dog

I like neutral to aloof as well, Gage is friendly, but with work will now wait for people to approach him. Diesel was the fearful dog who distrusted people, now with work he will approach people IF the other dogs do it first. Bristol LOVES people, strangers in particular, and trows herself at their feet. She doesnt jump up on people, but she really wants them to pet her.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Twin 2

I think right now Didgie is about my practical ideal.

She likes people a lot, she likes being pet and loved on and she's more than willing to lay there and get mushed all over. But, she isn't distracted by people. She doesn't pull to go see them or make eyes at them, she stays focused on me overall and if someone is petting her and I shift my weight or move at all she's right back to me. I like how it works for us because that means she's easier to handle in crowds but still more than willing to say hi but able to come right back to me.

Now, I say she's my practical ideal because to be honest as annoying as Traveler's intense love for people can be when I need him to focus on me it still makes me happy.

I absolutely love watching him work a crowd, it makes my heart happy. I was at a concert last week with him and he was on his absolute best behavior BECAUSE he wanted to see people. He just cracked me up and made me so proud the whole time because he sat by me and everytime someone walked by his ears would go back, his head would go down and he would look at them like "If you don't pet me I will die a horrible and lonely and cold death." and when they would come over to pet him he would just fall over on his back or crawl into their laps with this huge grin.

Then a toddler was over and he was sooo good for her, completely still because she was afraid a little bit but absolutely ecstatic to get love.

He's convinced those concerts are held for him and loves going to them because all the people are their to worship at his feet. It just is so fun to watch and make him happy.

So yeah, I guess I like both. I don't think I could have two Traveler's but I also don't think I could be without Didgie's ease of being in crowds.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

I prefer aloof. I can't stand a dog that has to go and say hi to every single person and can't focus on it's owner.
Nola's pretty much my ideal; she'll let people pet her if they approach her correctly, but she keeps to herself and keeps her focus on me.

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 06-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
I prefer polite disinterest. The dog will go say 'hi' if asked, but really doesn't give two hoots about the new people.

Hudson things everyone was put on this earth to tell him how pretty he is and give butt scratches.
This ^^^^ just described The Punk perfectly lol. I find it funny to watch her dismiss people. But, if she knows someone or has met them several times, it is a different story, super friendly
Old 06-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Top Dog

I prefer a dog who is more aloof with people. Not nervous, shy, or aggressive, just completely disinterested in an "I could take it or leave it" sort of way.

Frag fulfills this PERFECTLY.

Recon is getting there, but he's still a puppy so he does love people still.

Sir is great about not seeking them out and being able to work around people without getting distracted by the thought of pets, but once someone offers you can't get him away.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F
General Patton Vom Winter Storm