Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
The link that Aleron posted earlier tells of several serious bite incidents involving western Washington police dogs:

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...gbitesxml.html

Obviously, the media is going to make as big a story of it as they can, so highlight the worst of the worst, but it still shows several incidents of serious bites involving police K-9s. And of interest is the fact that the dogs that are involved in these incidents seem to frequently to have it happen more than once.
After reading that, I wonder why so many civilian bystanders felt the need to butt in and "help" the police in pursuit of criminal on the run?
Old 04-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
After reading that, I wonder why so many civilian bystanders felt the need to butt in and "help" the police in pursuit of criminal on the run?
That mindset is reprehensible. It is the kind of mindset that allows situations like the rape & murder of Kitty Genovese. Everyone has a moral obligation to oppose all acts of evil to the utmost of their skills & ability.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
That mindset is reprehensible. It is the kind of mindset that allows situations like the rape & murder of Kitty Genovese. Everyone has a moral obligation to oppose all acts of evil to the utmost of their skills & ability.
Ok. That's not quite what I was imagining. I was picturing a scenario where a cop and his K9 were right on the heels of a thug, and someone in a driveway a few yards ahead, sees the action and takes off running in an attempt to bring the guy down instead. Then said civilian gets pissed off when the dog sees him running, just like the thug, and takeshim down instead.

I'm not speaking in general terms of the general public doing their duty to keep an eye out and do what they can to stop crimes from happening or so on so forth.

So "whoa, buddy...." on the judgement.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:31 PM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Ok. That's not quite what I was imagining. I was picturing a scenario where a cop and his K9 were right on the heels of a thug, and someone in a driveway a few yards ahead, sees the action and takes off running in an attempt to bring the guy down instead. Then said civilian gets pissed off when the dog sees him running, just like the thug, and takeshim down instead.
What would the difference be between that and sending a dog in near a crowd of people, some of which might be afraid of dogs and running away from it? why would the dog completely end his pursuit with one person and redirect, on his OWN, onto someone other than the person the dog was in pursuit of to begin with?
Old 04-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Sometimes police accidentally shoot the wrong person. Lets take away their guns and their dogs. We'll be much safer.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:53 PM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Sometimes police accidentally shoot the wrong person. Lets take away their guns and their dogs. We'll be much safer.
Police who shoot the wrong person are typically removed from service.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
Wanna bet? Unless they get caught in intentional misconduct, most cops are almost impossible to fire because of civil service & union protections. Additionally they are generally protected from civil lawsuits because they were "acting in good faith" within the capacity of their job.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
A lot more questionable shootings by cops than CCW holders. I personally think it is because of the militarization of police in general.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
Hahahahahaha you're in Vegas now, do some background research on the last ten years of Henderson police and their slaps on the wrist for shooting first or shooting the wrong person.

My post was totally tongue in cheek and I totally respect policemen but after spending years in Vegas I began to embrace the running joke.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Original Twin

Quote:
I completely read that as "Sometimes police DOGS accidentally shoot the wrong person."