Bringing a puppy home on a plane

Exactly Shai, exactly.

I do think that if Devan wasn't completely comfortable with this it wasn't a bad thing to go with something she felt more secure in. But being bombarded by people over a decision that was hers and hers alone after it had been made is wrong and bothers me.

And I am sad this breed misses out an an awesome owner like Devan. But, another breed/puppy will end up being better for it I imagine!

Toller_08

I haven't actually read all the responses yet because I'm at work and have other things to do and customers to help, but figured I should respond while I have a moment!

Since there seems to be some confusion as to why I backed out: It wasn't just because of what people said and how they said it. That was just the icing on the cake. Part of it was that there are things that this breeder does that I don't agree with, and never will, but I can say the same for every Koolie breeder. Not one of them is perfect, although there certainly are some that do things slightly better than others. That's nothing against the breed nor the breeders, IMO. Things are just done differently in that breed at the moment, because it's basically still a working breed and people are not breeding for show/sport/pet dogs. They don't generally seem to sell to that market. They just don't think certain things are necessary that most people think are very important if they're involved in other breeds. I chose the breeder I did because as a person, I like him a lot. Super nice guy, adores his dogs, easy to get along with. His dogs also are to me what a Koolie should be. I can't say a bad thing about them, and I talked to more of his owners than just Sara and Linds so I could get a better idea of things. Among many things his dogs ooze drive, enthusiasm, confidence, are very long lived, are not prone to being shy or unfriendly, and I also think he breeds some of the nicer looking dogs out there as well (but that's just me and is nothing against other dogs). I didn't choose him on his breeding practices, and there were always things that bothered me slightly, but he is not the only one who does these things in the breed. So I tried just to let those things slide, but in the end couldn't, especially when everyone was piling up reasons upon reasons upon reasons of things I already had reservations about. I was 100% sure about my puppy and like 90% sure of breeder choice - in this case, breed and puppy I tried to let outweigh breeder practices. But basically, if you want a Koolie, there are things one needs to be ok with. And I thought I was. I was more than prepared for a puppy, super excited, and I truly do adore the breed and this breeder's dogs after everything I've learned about them. Turns out, in the end, things bothered me more than I realized they would and then to have people rudely point out every little thing just topped it all off. So it was a combination of things. Not just because of the rudeness of some people, although honestly that was a big turn off to the breed entirely at the moment. But that's just me and a difference between personalities of different people.

I believe I said in my original post that I can't blame the people. It was a terrible thing to go through, but I can only blame how I let those people make me feel. It's not their fault they piled on more guilt - I could have just said "whatever, thanks for your opinion (however it was said), but I've made my decision. Goodbye." and not let it bother me.

And believe me, I can see why those people felt the way they did. But honestly I didn't see their breeder as doing things better in many ways. I'd bet most of chaz would not ever get a Koolie just because of breeding ethics and their own values.

And maybe that would have been the right answer for some people - to just ignore and get the dog anyway. But I've always been someone who takes a little too much to heart a lot of times. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes it's a bad thing. In this case I think, for me, it ended up being a good thing. I initially was sad that I declined the puppy, but not quite as upset as I thought I would be, which verifies to me that I made the right decision for me, whether others think I should have stuck it out or not.

Surprisingly, through this all, the last person to approach me via PM was another breeder, and she was the only one who seemed genuinely concerned about my breeder choice without being rude about it. I didn't mind her opinion so much because things were put in a polite way, and you could tell it was only out of concern. So if she happens to find this thread, which I feel like she might because she certainly knows about chaz, none of this has anything to do with her at all.

Besides different reservations breeder wise, ultimately in the end I decided that not only do I not want to just give in to those people and get a dog from where they thought I should just because they said so, or deal with what they probably would have said either to me or about me if I had gotten the puppy I was planning, but I also don't want to deal with a crowd prone to such animosity. You see it a lot in the online world of this breed. This time it just happened to be directed right at me. And there are also things apparently that I do value a lot more in a breeder than I thought I did. A lot of that is based on experiences with past dogs.

So I chose to not ignore my morals and values, and backed out of a dog from a breeder that I didn't totally agree with the practices of, as well as remove myself from such a crowd. And not all Koolie people are terrible - many of them are very friendly. But there is a good bunch that is not, and they act all happy and nice in the beginning and turn out not to be later on.

Hopefully that clears things up a little bit. I don't expect that other people would have made my same choice had they been in my position. This just happened to be the right choice for me, and it wasn't something I took lightly.

As opposed to what, letting her end up with a dog that she wouldn't like/had health problems/was the result of unethical breeding/ect? Give me a break!

I for one welcomed recommendations with open arms both for and against the breeders I had in question.
I like recommendations for and against as well. But there is a way to say things politely. And without being totally biased toward one or two breeders who they think are the be all and end all and everyone else is crap. And unsolicited mean advice isn't a good way to go about things ever (whether it's about dogs or something else in life), especially when they'd never said anything beforehand and only afterward.

And also, regardless of the things I disagreed with about this breeder's breeding practices, there is no doubt in my mind that I would have loved my dog. Like I said, I've heard nothing but great things from his puppy owners. Health wise, temperament wise... everything wise, really.

Now, off to try and read the rest of the thread before I get interrupted again. :)

Last edited:

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Devan, you are one of my favorite people on here, and I'm happy you made the choice that is best for YOU. Afterall, you're the one who would be owning the puppy for it's entire life. Choosing a breed/puppy is such an important, personal decision.

I can't wait to see/hear about the puppy you ended up choosing :)

SaraB

Devan, you are one of my favorite people on here, and I'm happy you made the choice that is best for YOU. Afterall, you're the one who would be owning the puppy for it's entire life. Choosing a breed/puppy is such an important, personal decision.
This!! x100. :)

Devan, just know that you backing out of getting a puppy doesn't mean you have to leave all Koolie circles. When I got into the breed I talked to some people I'm still friends with today. People who adore their dogs, adore C/Koolies no matter the breeder and support people whenever they can. They just aren't the vocal minority and most are in Australia so they tend to be up while we're sleeping :D

I'm glad you listened to yourself and went with what's best for you. I don't think they forced you to make any decision but I do think no one should be treated like that. Period. I would have been happy no matter the breeder or breed you picked. But I again am sorry that people were able to make it such a bad experience and I really hope that one day you'll look into the breed again.

Ugh, I'm sorry you had to experience so much negativity. Like there isn't enough ick in the world, it has to seep into doggie stuff. :(

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady

I third this.... that is my only input to this thread other than I can't wait to see what you ended up choosing.... oh please be a BC.... pleaseeee... lol.

Yea the suspense is killing me. If I can't see a red merle koolie grow up on chaz, then I wanna know what I WILL be seeing grow up! PUPPY.

Toller_08

That's all I'm going to say on the matter. Devan, you are one of my favorite people on here and I'm so excited for you, and sorry you've been through this.
Aw, thank you! I appreciate it. :)

Thank you, too! And to those that second and thirded (is that even a word?) it. And everyone else who I didn't quote because there were lots who understands and is supportive. I really love this place. :)

Devan, just know that you backing out of getting a puppy doesn't mean you have to leave all Koolie circles. When I got into the breed I talked to some people I'm still friends with today. People who adore their dogs, adore C/Koolies no matter the breeder and support people whenever they can. They just aren't the vocal minority and most are in Australia so they tend to be up while we're sleeping :D

I'm glad you listened to yourself and went with what's best for you. I don't think they forced you to make any decision but I do think no one should be treated like that. Period. I would have been happy no matter the breeder or breed you picked. But I again am sorry that people were able to make it such a bad experience and I really hope that one day you'll look into the breed again.
That is very true! Some of the nicest people are very quiet about everything unless absolutely necessary, and they definitely are always sleeping when we're up haha. The time zone difference can definitely get in the way sometimes when there are people you want to talk to!

I am so glad you nor Sara is upset by my decision. I was worried you both might be just because of all the information and insight you guys both gave me, and I didn't want you to think you wasted your time. Because you definitely didn't and I appreciate completely everything you shared with me! And I am not scared away from the breed for good at all. I can definitely picture my life with one someday still. Just not sure when right now.

Yea the suspense is killing me. If I can't see a red merle koolie grow up on chaz, then I wanna know what I WILL be seeing grow up! PUPPY.
I want to know too!!! Well, other than the breed and the breeder which I already know, I want to know when puppy is coming and who she will be (especially the who part if she's from the current litter). I even went out and bought a whoooole bunch of puppy toys yesterday haha. Just in case she's here before Christmas because I didn't want to be caught with nothing. So I am super prepared now whether she comes in a few weeks or later. And most of the toys I bought are sheep. I was so excited to have a dog to buy sheep things for LOL.

And also, I think this is the first thread ever of mine that kind of got derailed, and I just have to say that it's kind of weird to be addressed without my actual name being use haha. That's new to me since normally I don't get directly addressed often! I should've picked a much more creative username all those years ago haha.

That is very true! Some of the nicest people are very quiet about everything unless absolutely necessary, and they definitely are always sleeping when we're up haha. The time zone difference can definitely get in the way sometimes when there are people you want to talk to!

I am so glad you nor Sara is upset by my decision. I was worried you both might be just because of all the information and insight you guys both gave me, and I didn't want you to think you wasted your time. Because you definitely didn't and I appreciate completely everything you shared with me! And I am not scared away from the breed for good at all. I can definitely picture my life with one someday still. Just not sure when right now.
Nope, just disappointed and sad how it all spiraled. But super happy you are getting a puppy no matter the breed! Also, you still do have an open invitation to come stay with me here! I never revoked that.

And the time zone is stupid. I'll get up and be like "Hey! How are you doing!" And they'll go "Good! Just going to bed, it's midnight here"

I should've picked a much more creative username all those years ago haha.
Yeah, like mine! :rofl1:

Waste my time talking about koolies?! :rofl1: I would never consider that a waste of time.
Koolies like to talk, owners like to talk. It's just one big talking fest of awesomeness. Who would think that was time wasted?

Aleron

Can't wait to see what you picked! Hoping for a Belgian puppy of course ;) I know they aren't merle but they can be pretty cute puppies too!

As far as the other stuff, everyone is different in what they want/expect from not only a breeder but the breed community in general. Difference of opinion is one thing but downright nastiness towards newcomers is something else all together. There's some in every crowd without a doubt. Someone who has a PyrShep "un-friended" me when I got Savvy because of who he came from. But I get the idea with Koolies this is not just one or two naysayers that you can easily avoid by not being friends with them on FB and it's not something that is going to quickly go away. I can certainly understand how such a divide would be a consideration in someone who's new to the breed and finds having a supportive breed community to be important.

FWIW I know multiple people who have opted out of a breed they really like in part because the people in the breed were weird about things or they encountered too many rude people or some such thing. Also have known people who have opted out of a breed they like because they had ethical issues with a large number of the breeders involved. None of them were people who wanted Koolies either, in case anyone is wondering ;) If you are the sort who has a "one and only" breed, I think that can be hard to imagine being turned off of your breed of choice for such a reason. Plenty of people like a lot of different breeds and for them, it's easy to see why going with a breed with a more welcoming community and breeders who's practices are more in line with what they feel is important is a better choice for them.

It's really sad to hear there are such problems with politics in Koolies. It seems if people aren't willing to put aside their differences, it's going to be hard to really establish the breed in North America. There's issues like that in other rare breeds too from what I hear. I think Shiloh's have like 2 or 3 parents clubs and a group that separated into a different breed. And my friend was just telling me today the there's a lot of politics like that in Mudi too and that there's two parent clubs for them in the US.

Toller_08

Yeah, like mine! :rofl1:
Well at least yours is your name! Mine means nothing except that I was in a hurry to join Chaz one day and couldn't think of anything haha. So I came up with the lamest one ever.

Waste my time talking about koolies?! :rofl1: I would never consider that a waste of time.
Koolies like to talk, owners like to talk. It's just one big talking fest of awesomeness. Who would think that was time wasted?
That's good! I'm so glad. I know I never mind if someone asks me about my breeds and decides not to get one, but you never know so I was concerned anyway. I loved learning all about the breed! And talking to you guys. And watching the most adorable Zinga videos ever. And loudest Didgie and Traveler videos ever. It definitely wasn't wasted on me at all regardless of my decision. :)

Can't wait to see what you picked! Hoping for a Belgian puppy of course ;) I know they aren't merle but they can be pretty cute puppies too!

FWIW I know multiple people who have opted out of a breed they really like in part because the people in the breed were weird about things or they encountered too many rude people or some such thing. Also have known people who have opted out of a breed they like because they had ethical issues with a large number of the breeders involved. None of them were people who wanted Koolies either, in case anyone is wondering ;) If you are the sort who has a "one and only" breed, I think that can be hard to imagine being turned off of your breed of choice for such a reason. Plenty of people like a lot of different breeds and for them, it's easy to see why going with a breed with a more welcoming community and breeders who's practices are more in line with what they feel is important is a better choice for them.
Haha merle doesn't matter at all! Merle is pretty and interesting since I've always had rather plain dogs, but I'm fine with whatever colour. Black Belgians are my favourite and they don't have markings at all. Super cute puppy, btw. I want!

And yeah, there are definitely issues in all breeds for sure. I just find it sad that the Koolie world (at least online) is the way it is right now. I also find it sad how rude people can be. Makes you wonder if they'd be like that if you were talking to them in real life or not. I hope not, but one never knows.

And I've loved this breed that I chose forever and they feel like a really good 'inbetween' Tollers and Koolies breed to me. I know I'll be happy with one for sure. If I was dead set on a Koolie and didn't feel any other breed would fit then I probably would've still gotten a C/Koolie, but I know there are a couple other breeds that also fit what I want (in different ways) so why go with something that just caused me a lot of stress (breeder ethics and people wise) over the past month when I know I'll be happy with a different breed without that stress.

And thanks again everyone! I should've just originally written out a more indepth response to begin with so nobody was confused or anything. And it's still going to work out well in the end anyway and you all are probably going to wish I never got a puppy at all because there will be so many pictures!

Now, back onto trying to decide which size bag will be best now that I know what to expect on a plane. And she better not be a screamer haha. I'll spend my whole flight apologizing to everybody.

FG167

I just wanted to say that I think your responses have been wonderfully clear and direct without putting any dogs/breeders down.

I am interested in Koolies in the future and I'm not sure if I'll stick with it due to the controversy that I am reading here.

I started in Labradors and had such a terrible time with the other people in the breed (not all, just several *too* vocal people) that I got out of it entirely and doubt I'll go back. I am a performance and conformation person, so I feel I have a lot to offer a breed, but that breed is now and will always be GSDs (with a couple of others obviously), due largely to how unpleasant people in my previous breed were. Sure, I could've stuck it out if I had wanted to, but in the end, there are other breeds I enjoy (and now I've found *my* breed) and it was just not worth the negativity constantly in my face to stick with my first breed.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
and you all are probably going to wish I never got a puppy at all because there will be so many pictures!
Never gonna happen. Not a chance.

We are gonna have puppy pictures everywhere and I love it. And they are all going to arrive right about the time that Cookie goes home so I am relying on you guys and your puppy pictures to see me through!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I have a sneaking suspicion... but I don't wanna jinx it. :D

I very very briefly looked into koolies and asked a question (on here actually) about them long ago and started getting PMs about breeders and hearing some of the behind the scenes. It sounds worse now but I will be honest, it's the reason the breed isn't even on the radar for me. Maybe some koolie people will come read this thread and realize that they are not doing the breed any good by this.

But it also sounds a lot like the decision I am trying to make on my Nextdog. I think it's great you've found the pup and breeder for you and I hope my search ends up as well. I'm really hoping things pan out for my top option right now. :) But I've got a lot longer to wait than you.

Members online

No members online now.