Am I creating a needy/velcro-y dog?

**This post got a lot longer than I thought, if you don't like reading, you can just scroll down to the Questions part and answer those!

My S/O and I have some differing views when it comes to dogs. I never sought out super clingy dogs.

Some background info:
Chloe when she was my mother's dog was basically treated like a living teddy bear and was SUPER velcro dog to her.

When my mom was sick and did not spend any time with her, I don't remember her being as clingy, but rather seemed mopey/depressed. But I will be honest I wasn't paying attention much to her so that may be inaccurate as I was busy tending to my mother.

She was going to go with some people that actually liked her as a dog, but that fell through. So I took her as I wasn't going to let my mom's beloved dog go to the shelter or with a stranger.

I hated her at first, she seemed depressed and wouldn't eat when I first brought her to my apartment to live with me and Angel. Then she started turning the way she was with my mother, but with me. So Super clingy/velcro.

I hated it at first, but now this trait, and her, have grown on me. I really do care and love her. I still do not think she is anything like what I was wanting in a dog. I will admit I have thought about if I were to find the perfect home for her that really loved her and was experienced enough that I would trust that they would continue to work on her fear/reactiveness/etc. consistently, what I would do. But then I get sad and think I could never do that because she loves me so much and she is basically a living memory/part of my mother.

S/O view:
Anyway, my boyfriend HATES her and how clingy she is. He does not allow my dogs (mostly Chloe, because he actually likes Angel) on his bed. So when we visit on the weekends they have different rules. They are pretty good about following those rules (not jumping up on the bed or sleeping with us and instead sleeping on some pillows near the bed). But if we are up, she constantly, creepily, sits and stares at me or him while she is on the floor. Constantly.

He thinks I baby her too much and that she would be better/have less issues (such as guarding me from other dogs- not Angel, not being so clingy/needy, etc) if I didn't baby her so much.

I must admit I do baby her more now that I have come to accept her velcro-ness ways. I spend almost all my time with her now when I am home, whether she is laying next to me while I watch TV or if I were to go to a dog friendly place with her. I just allow her to be touching me/near me almost all the time when I am home.

Questions:
Do you think it would be beneficial for me to set up more boundaries? Do you think it would create a less velcro dog? Do you think it would decrease her guarding me/being snarky to other dogs that get near me or jump on me?

Part of me feels like it might be beneficial, part of me feels like it wouldn't change anything other than her just staring at me more since she can't be touching me.

Elrohwen

IME, velcro dogs are born, not made. You can encourage insecurity but if she doesn't have SA and can be away from you I wouldn't see it as a problem. But then I actively seek out velcro dogs so I don't see anything weird about a dog wanting to be on my bed or near me at all times. You can set boundaries about whether she can sit on top of you or just next to you and it's really not hard; she'll get it.

I would act on the snarky guarding behaviors, where she can't be with you if she's going to act like that. But I don't think that just keeping her at a physical distance all the time is going to change that behavior any better than actually enforcing rules about being polite to other dogs.

Your boyfriend's attitude sounds kind of difficult. One dog can be on the bed because he likes her better? Sounds like he is trying to punish Chloe and push her away because he finds her annoying.

IME, velcro dogs are born, not made. You can encourage insecurity but if she doesn't have SA and can be away from you I wouldn't see it as a problem. But then I actively seek out velcro dogs so I don't see anything weird about a dog wanting to be on my bed or near me at all times. You can set boundaries about whether she can sit on top of you or just next to you and it's really not hard; she'll get it.

I would act on the snarky guarding behaviors, where she can't be with you if she's going to act like that. But I don't think that just keeping her at a physical distance all the time is going to change that behavior any better than actually enforcing rules about being polite to other dogs.

Your boyfriend's attitude sounds kind of difficult. One dog can be on the bed because he likes her better? Sounds like he is trying to punish Chloe and push her away because he finds her annoying.
Thank you for your input!
Yes, I find setting boundaries easy to do if I actually want them to follow them. But I like sleeping with my dogs when I am alone at my apartment. My dogs know and obey the boundaries of when my boyfriend is at my apartment they are no longer allowed on the bed unless called up. Then, when he gets up earlier in the morning than I to take a shower, they are allowed back on the bed and will automatically come back up once he is off the bed (especially Chloe). Then when we are at his house, they are never allowed on the bed unless called up.

Yes, we have gotten into so many fights about the dogs, 99% of the fights being about Chloe. He is used to his flat coated retrievers that are just always happy, always nice, not scared of things, etc. He and his dad are really not a fan of smaller dogs. And it gets really annoying. My boyfriend used to not like either of my dogs, but now he really likes Angel and Angel really likes him.
Chloe has always not liked him, but she is very much a one person dog, was never socialized and is weird around new people (although she is wayy better around new people since I have been working on her with it) and sadly, she likes strangers faster most of the time than she likes my boyfriend now, I think she can tell he doesn't like her. And she tends to hold grudges/not get over things in the past.
We have got into fights about how he has handled my dogs, and have nearly broken up over it a few times. For example, One time he bit (gently) Angel on her ear and she is sort of reactive when it comes to pain, and snapped right by his face (over-reaction) and one of her teeth nicked his cheek. He proceeded to hold her away by the neck. I was PISSED.
Another example was with Chloe and he was chasing after her and grabbed her/pulled her back as she was running, she spun and nipped his hands. So he reacted by alpha rolling her, she submissive peed-which she has never done before or after this, he got angry she was peeing and picked her up by her back legs- to bring her out the door right there (which is the point where I came around the corner from all the commotion). I screamed at him, grabbed my dog and was SUPER PISSED.

Those are the two worst times of interactions with my boyfriend and my dogs, and they were a long time ago. He believes that the alpha dominance theory is the way to get respect from a dog. He also expects them to have a La-Dee-Da Retriever personality. Yes, my dogs react more than I would like them to in certain situations, but the two instances above, you can't exactly blame them.. at all.

During our fights about the dogs, he has realized that I love my dogs more than him by asking if I would choose Chloe or him and I said Chloe. This shut him up and changed his attitude toward them.
I have been educating him about how to handle my dogs and such and told him I wouldn't be moving in with him if he wasn't actively trying to build a relationship with Chloe. Since then, he holds her more, but I think she can still tell he doesn't like her, and he calls her stupid all. the. time. (she obviously doesn't know) but I am so sick of it. Our relationship is great other than this, and the dog part is getting better, but at times I have thought of just breaking up because he isn't GREAT with my dogs, and my dogs are so important to my life.
Gah.. even just talking about these past events makes me want to break up with him because it still infuriates me so much..

Anyway.. just felt like I needed to rant there..

But, as far as the resource guarding me, I am unsure how to go about this because I live alone right now and so I am usually the only person training my dogs and don't know how to "not let her be near me" if she is acting snarky around other dogs that get near me. Any ideas?

Sorry, but it seems your boyfriend is more of a problem than your dog :/ Your story of him basically abusing Chloe because she nipped him (um, she was defending herself from a big scary man chasing and grabbing her) is awful.

Yes, sounds like she's a little insecure and could work on some things, but I suspect her personality is just to want to be with her person. I personally don't see a problem with it.

Elrohwen

It sounds like you have more of a boyfriend problem than a dog problem, and he's putting you down because you have a dog who is clingy and not super well adjusted. It also sounds like he has a mean streak.

For the guarding, if another dog comes up and she growls, just put her on the floor and ignore her. Some dogs can be told off with a gentle "stop it" or something, but others need you to set clear boundaries where they growl at another dog, then they can't sit on your lap anymore. I would also work on giving her treats or something as the other dog walks by or approaches to change her mindset a bit. It's really just about her losing privledges to sit on top of you if she's going to guard you from another dog, while also learning that other dogs aren't so bad and make treats appear. Unless she's full on attacking other dogs who approach, a little growling and guarding isn't really a big deal and should be pretty easy to fix.

Otherwise she sounds like a fine normal dog for the most part. I grew up with schnauzers and most of them weren't fond of strangers - it's just not their personality sometimes. There's nothing wrong with that.

Sorry, but it seems your boyfriend is more of a problem than your dog :/ Your story of him basically abusing Chloe because she nipped him (um, she was defending herself from a big scary man chasing and grabbing her) is awful.

Yes, sounds like she's a little insecure and could work on some things, but I suspect her personality is just to want to be with her person. I personally don't see a problem with it.
Yes, he definitely has issues when it comes to a dog that bites, but she did not draw blood or puncture or anything. That is really like the only thing that I am unsure of as far as if I want to stay with him or not. Since then, he has been much better with my dogs. He loves his dogs and animals in general. Empowers women, hates guys that make jokes about women, has the same political views, same religious views, I completely trust him about not cheating, doesn't drink or do drugs, would never raise a hand at me, etc. etc. So he is ideal. But some of his mindset about how dogs "should be" and how to go about to get that really irritates me at times.
He has always had dogs with the la-dee-da oblivious/overly friendly to anyone and everything type of dog and that is what he expects.

His grandmother shows dogs and her last dog had to be euthanized because it was getting so aggressive and leaving serious wounds in family members, such as my boyfriends dad (which I think is because of how they train it.. unintentionally). So I think perhaps that is where he gets so weird about the dogs that nip, also he never has trained a dog because when they get their dogs they ship them off to a trainer to teach it to be a bird dog and then they came back fully trained, and he definitely doesn't care about all the tricks as much as I do. But he definitely favors his dog/type of dog over smaller dogs or dogs that don't act like his dog.

I've also never had a guy that I could stand for longer than 1-4 weeks. We have been in a relationship for almost 4 years now. But almost 2 years he was away in school and we would see each other every few months.

He has not corrected (or maybe is afraid to correct) my dogs since those two times because I got so furious with him of how he handled it. And he definitely has gotten better, but the main thing that still persists is the name calling of Chloe really irritates me. She is not perfect, but she has come a LONG way this past year I have had her. I have family/friends telling me how she is like a completely different dog. She is so much more confident, less barky, etc. compared to what she used to be.

So I don't exactly know what to do. He is the ideal guy for me, other than his comments or the way he acts around mostly Chloe. I was going to see how moving in together worked, if the dog situation got worse, we would definitely break up. If Chloe started to actually like him, I think things would be a lot better. And she is starting to get there, she doesn't run away from him in fear as much, will walk up to him, will let him pet her, occasionally will even jump up on him, etc. I think if they were to spend more time together it would be better as well, because if her favorite person isn't there then she has a 2nd favorite person that she will hang out with until the favorite person gets back. So I picture that happening.

It sounds like you have more of a boyfriend problem than a dog problem, and he's putting you down because you have a dog who is clingy and not super well adjusted. It also sounds like he has a mean streak.

Otherwise she sounds like a fine normal dog for the most part. I grew up with schnauzers and most of them weren't fond of strangers - it's just not their personality sometimes. There's nothing wrong with that.
Yes, I feel like his comments get to me sometimes. Because he just comments about her all the time. If he would just keep his comments to himself it would be a lot better.

I won't be getting any more schnauzers, I am looking forward to getting dogs that are less reactive, more stranger and dog friendly. I do not need a dog that is over the top friendly, but it would be nice to be able to have my dogs be able to be around other dogs. But really Angel is totally fine around other dogs if they leave her alone, it's if they are pestering her that she has issues with them.

Chloe confuses me about dogs. She loves some, hates others even if the play styles are the same as some of the ones she loves.

Both my dogs do not tolerate pawing at them and will freak out at the other dog.

For the guarding, if another dog comes up and she growls, just put her on the floor and ignore her. Some dogs can be told off with a gentle "stop it" or something, but others need you to set clear boundaries where they growl at another dog, then they can't sit on your lap anymore. I would also work on giving her treats or something as the other dog walks by or approaches to change her mindset a bit. It's really just about her losing privledges to sit on top of you if she's going to guard you from another dog, while also learning that other dogs aren't so bad and make treats appear. Unless she's full on attacking other dogs who approach, a little growling and guarding isn't really a big deal and should be pretty easy to fix.
Okay, most of the time when this happens it is if we were off leash somewhere, or another dog is off leash or on leash and comes up to us and the other dog jumps at me. She will immediately lunge at the other dog and snap at them.
I have been trying to give the other dog and her dog treats at the same time and that seems to be helping.

If I am at my boyfriends house with his dog, and his dog happens to come down and into his room to walk over to his bed where we are laying watching tv, Chloe will sort of herd his dog away from us or lifting her lips or snapping at him if he gets too close (which makes my boyfriend really angry) I yell at her but don't really know what to do other than not letting her near the bed while his dog is coming up. It would be easier if I had a crate there to send her to her crate if she was doing this. If I yell 'Knock it off' or "no" or something she usually stops, but then she just does it again the next time this happens.

I have definitely been working on giving her lots of treats whenever she sees dogs, goes near dogs, sees people, sees children, gives children high fives, etc. She has improved a lot. So I am unsure if I should just continue with this method and hope the resource guarding goes away with her improvements, or if I need to do something different.. which is kind of what I am thinking?

Any thoughts?

Thank you guys so much!

milos_mommy

I'm not going to comment on this whole thing (I've dealt with similar issues in the past), but as far as Chloe not caring for your boyfriend (aside from his past abusive corrections):

If you're a little dog who's babied a lot, sleeps in bed with your person, etc,...and then whenever your boyfriend is there she's not allowed on the bed/not babied as much in front of him, that's a pretty crappy association. If I were you I would not let her sleep in bed when your boyfriend ISNT there, and invite her on the bed more when he is, so she's more comfortable around him. It's really inconsistent and unfair to let her have free reign when you're alone and be more strict with boundaries if your boyfriend is there.

Members online

No members online now.