Dog hair on clothing..

MicksMom

I am at my wits end.

Merlin gets bathed/blowdried/brushed at least twice a week...
I'm assuming he doesn't get bathed twice a week. That would add to the shedding.

Like others have mentioned- dog hair is just part of life with dogs. :)
I tend to wear a lot of grey and light colors that blend with Caleb's color. Static Guard and lint rollers for the dark colors and my brown wool clogs works wonders, too.

noludoru

Bored Now.
What do you use? I have lint-rollers but it's such a pain.
I have one of these and keep it at work. If it was smaller, I'd keep it in my purse.

He does get bathed twice a week! I didn't know that it would make it worse, how so?
I would think with all the shampoo and chemicals it could cause excessive shedding. Middie always sheds his worst the first day or two after getting his coat wet (bath or swimming). I would bathe him1-2x a month and just brush, leave-in condition, and blow out every week.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
He does get bathed twice a week! I didn't know that it would make it worse, how so?
That's a lot of bathing! Finn always sheds a bit extra after a good bathe, I brush him 2-3 days in a row and then minimal shedding for awhile. It's nice. But yeah, still sheds. Fluffy breeds shed. :p

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I thought bathing him would help!
He likes being bathed, I work at a pet store so there is always new shampoo to try and a tub and I like when he smells like shampoo. And his skin and such looks fine!

I feel like a crazy person :rofl1:
I thought twice a week was kind of average, or at least once a week

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Gosh I never bathed my shelties. Maybe once every few months?

The paps get bathed once every 2-3 weeks but mostly because they sleep on the bed. During like... muddy weather I may have to rinse Mia off a lot more often. She likes to roll in things.

k9krazee

Only bring home dogs that match your wardrobe's color scheme.

/me nods wisely

Wise words. DH & I wear black suits every day-- only requirement for our dog was that it was non-shedding or black.

We got a white dog who sheds like it's his job. Oops.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I would have thought excessive grooming would add to shedding, as the coat tries to regulate itself???? I have no scientific data to back this up, but it's just a hunch.

Twice a week... God my dogs would disown me. Mine are lucky to be bathed once a month, and that's a huuuuuuge jump for Bodhi miss never bathed. She only gets baths if she smells actually... Fred is a boy and does smell more!! We bathed him once then went to the vets about 2 weeks later and the vet thought he'd just been done and complimented him on smelling nice!!!!

I can't see it doing huge amount of HARM but I doubt it does any good, any more than over doing it with our own hair.

I'm not a groomer, of course lol. I actually have no idea.

As for hair here.... We don't suffer too much!! Short stick hairs. No floof. Don't. Like. Hair. I remember when we had our collie, you could literally peel the hair off the floor.... Even though we hoovered very regularly. I think they just shed. Honestly. It's a dog.... It's what they do :D

Ours don't go upstairs much, baby gate. Clothes are all upstairs!!! They prefer to wipe their snot on me than shed on me :yikes:

Sekah

The Monster.
Far from it! I know SDs are a bit of a different issue, but I'd bathe maybe once a month, max. Keep the shedding down with brushing otherwise.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I thought bathing him would help!
He likes being bathed, I work at a pet store so there is always new shampoo to try and a tub and I like when he smells like shampoo. And his skin and such looks fine!

I feel like a crazy person :rofl1:
I bathe Kaia that often because public access. They don't really get stinky, but it really wipes out the dander and minimizes the chance that she'll trigger someone's allergies.

A couple points:

Cold water tightens up the hair follicle and warm relaxes it. Warm water is more likely to cause the hair to loosen and slip.

Do you use a forced air dryer? That will pretty much eliminate post bath shedding because any hairs that come loose will be blown out. I love love love forced air dryers.

Edit: I also gave up on dog shampoos and use a fancy hooman kind that's basically coconut oil and shea butter and good smelling stuff. It doesn't need conditioning afterward, and it doesn't strip the oil out of her coat. I like to use it on my hair once in a while but not all the time because my hair ends up smelling awesome but feels like it hasn't been washed. lol.
alaffia shampoo

Members online