Do your dogs hang out outside alone?

amberdyan

Nope. Hugo will stand at the door and whine to be let In. I do think he would be happy outside longer if he had a playmate.

Snark

Mutts to you
Everyone wants out most of the time, I have a hard time getting them in for meals, bedtime, etc. In fact, Riley is staring at me right now because he's finished breakfast and I'm being boring...
We have a couple of acres fenced around the house, half of it woods so the dogs have fun chasing squirrels, bunnies, birds, each other. The front porch is covered and there's a dog door into the basement where we built an 8x8 room with raised dog beds and an open crate. They hang out there when it gets hot.

SoCrafty

If we are outside she is outside, either near us or we confine her to her yard. Now that she is bigger, I feel more comfortable letting her outside by herself as she is getting too big for the predator birds area to pick up and carry - I still don't tempt fate too long though and only let her out there for 5-15 min by herself (like if I have to run to put the clothes in the dryer or I need to go to the bathroom). I will feel more comfortable when she gets more weight and coat on her. She does like being outside!

She can be on our porch as long as she wants though.

Pippa will hang outside for between five and ten minutes before she starts getting upset and wants to come back in. If I'm out with her? She could stay out all day.

No, Crystal just wants to potty and patrol for maybe 3 minutes before she scratches the door to be let in. The only time she wants to stay outside is when it is a perfect temperature and sunny since she likes sunbathing, but even then she gets hot after ten or so minutes.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I'd love to kick them outside more but if they don't want to be out there... it's only a matter of seconds before they're barking/jumping at the door to be let in. Most times I wouldn't want to reward behavior like that but I'll pick my battles - if you don't want to be outside, fine, get back in here. :p

It's less of an issue if someone is out there with them, but even in that case they do usually reach a point where they'd rather be inside.

Red.Apricot

At my house, never. Our backyard is too tiny and close to the neighbors to risk them barking and being irritating.

At my parents house, Elsie will sometimes be left in their yard with Zoey if we have to run somewhere really quickly, or the weather is nice and they want to run.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Never ever.

While we have a fenced patio, we have neighbors who also own dogs and fail to keep them confined as well as Eve is confined. The only thing separating 30lb Eve from the neighbor's 200lb intact st bernard is some rotted-out planks covered with particle board. If he didn't choose to hop over the 5ft fence (which I'm positive he can) he frankly could just break through it.

She's supervised at all times outside.

ACooper

Orson does not care to be outside if we aren't out with him....in true Velcro fashion. If let out to potty, he comes right back to the door when done, if nobody's there waiting, he goes into his dog house (located in the outdoor dog kennel)

Crowley on the other hand LOVES being out and about with or without us. He adores EVERY person EVER but is very confident and independent and happy left to his own devices.

We have a 6ft wood privacy fence. Honestly, it needs some repairs. We put it up 16 years ago and haven't really done anything to it since (hangs head) so it's showing its age....sagging in a few spots, wouldn't trust a few spots close to the ground that *could* be rotten, etc. (We have repair/replace plans in the works for this summer) There's no obvious visible escape roots, but I take no chances and don't leave Crowley wandering around back there unsupervised.

INSIDE our privacy fence, we have one of these:

So on rare occasions (crowded gathering or just Orson being an annoying ass...) Orson will get thrown in the klink if it's nice out. LOL Haven't actually had to use the klink on Crowley yet.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Yes. Beezer less so because he likes to be where we are after a while but when it's warm and sunny... Belle will stay out for HOURS!

LMost

Never ever.

While we have a fenced patio, we have neighbors who also own dogs and fail to keep them confined as well as Eve is confined. The only thing separating 30lb Eve from the neighbor's 200lb intact st bernard is some rotted-out planks covered with particle board. If he didn't choose to hop over the 5ft fence (which I'm positive he can) he frankly could just break through it.

She's supervised at all times outside.
Actually doubt he could jump over, St.'s and Mastiff are not very good at getting off the ground.

On the other hand the rotten fence could most likely be brand new 2 x 4's and if he wanted to could go through it.

With my last I now have a 7ft fence and have a chain link behind it with upper and lower cross piping.

Grab

Never when we're not home. But when we're home, Aesop and Brooks will hang outside for quite awhile. Goose and the littles less so, as they prefer to be out only for short periods

mrose_s

BusterLove
Quinn spends a lot of time outside. She is outside when I leave her at home when I go out and when I'm at home i mix it up, i might leave the door open. I might have her closed in with me or locked outside.

I have very secure fencing and she is not an escape artist. She likes her alone time also. She likes to sleep outside in warm weather and sometimes she's out there overnight.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Jack has no interest being outside alone. He will go out to potty and sniff around, but then he is right back at the door. If we are outside he will stay out indefinately though.

Sally will stay out for longer than he will, but I don't see her just wanting to be out here by herself all day even if it were nice.

FG167

We don't have a fenced in yard but we have a few kennel runs (4). We leave dogs out in them any time the weather is decent while we are at work. Some evenings if we'll be out, we rotate who is out there. Rarely does anyone spend time out at night, unless not feeling well (diarrhea). Limit is the only one that didn't love being outside right away, and he's starting to enjoy it more (he's always kenneled with Eden). Eden, Jentry, and Ickky LOVE it and wait hopefully at the kennel doors whenever we're out.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
We have a yard that is securely fenced for everyone but Bruce (since he is no longer obese, he can slip through the wrought iron vertical bars..), so they go out and sunbathe on their own a lot... they usually don't spend more than an hour or so outside before slamming into the door and asking to come in :p they just like to be near.

Anytime we're out of the house, Liz is outside by herself. She panics in a crate, and outside there are beds and furniture, a huge shade umbrella and water. She mostly sleeps when we're away.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
yep! mine stay outside during the day if the weather is nice, and I am there. If I am at the ranch, its the back yard, if I am at the other place, they have a nice patio they can go out onto.

Members online

No members online now.