OMG, just had to share this pic

showpug

As you know, the larger the dog, the shorter the life. My husband and I just lost our great dane a few months back at the age of 4 years...and trust me, that was longer than we expected. Male great danes and male Wolfhounds have an average life span of 6 years. Way too short if you ask me :( A funny thing happens though when you put your fear of loss aside and own one of these incredible giant breeds. You recieve more love, loyalty, compassion, protection, and admiration than you could get out of 14 years with a smaller breed. Trust me, I love all dogs, and pugs are my favorite but there is something truly magical about the giants. It's the look in their eyes, the sweetness of their face, how gentle they bump into you, or the way they try to sit on your lap that captures you forever. After loosing our dane, I have few regrets. I worried when we got him about the potential for a very short life, but I would not change a thing because loving him taught me so much. I always said that when he was gone, I would never own a giant again, but how can't I? I have been captured and intriqued by their nature and here I am with a 10 week old mastiff/wolfhound pup and I can already see the amazing qualities that he has to offer. Point...don't let lifespan hold you back from getting a dog you love because the pain of loosing them is outweighed by the joy of loving one for even one day. :)

Amen to that Showpug! I'd always shied away from the giants for the same reason. I've been fortunate that all of my German Shepherds have lived long, healthy lives - 15 years or so, except for poor Big who had, unknown to us, a bullet lodged in his back where he'd evidently been shot while abandoned. I am hoping that with good nutrition and a healthy lifestyle my Fila will have a longer than average life span as well.

showpug

I too hope that my new giant :D lives a long and healthy life. I really feel that a lot of things play a role in the lifespan of these giants, but I think diet and nutrition is one of the most important and controllable factors to consider. The people I got my new pup from actually bred wolfhounds. Our puppy was a complete accident - they had a pet mastiff that they were not planning on breeding and had not gotten spayed yet. Needless to say, that she she came into season while she was sharing a run with their wolfhound and 12 puppies later...you get the idea. I find what happened to be very irresponsible especially for seasoned breeders, but my pup was healthy, lively, and friendly and a mix of two breeds that we adore, so we got him and I have no regrets. I guess where I am going with this is that the breeders had a 12 year old wolfhound and she was spunky as ever. It can be done, and they can live a long time. :)

Amstaffer

smkie said:
Does anybody know why large dogs have such short life spans? I know it is the heart, but why? it isn't like that in people always..i took care of a 6'6 man that was almost a hundred.
My Vet told me ( I used to have Rotts) that the Larger dogs have larger organs and the larger organs are less efficant and thus break down sooner. He said humans are the same way. With humans you will notice that the vast majority of elderly people are under 5'9" and part of that reason is tje organ deal. You met a man 6'6'' man near 100? That is extremely rare. I am 6'4".... :eek:

I switch to Amstaff from Rotts for that very reason. My Vet told me I was lucky to get my to male rotts to 11.

Members online

No members online now.