very frustrated with potty training...please help!

nancy2394

okay.. my nose didn't lie to me. She did a dookie load in her kennel. Part of that was my fault because she was barking. But it's so hard for me to tell whether she is barking because she is annoyed she is in the crate or if she has to go potty. And I had just taken her out not too long before she had her poop mess.

So, here's what I've done. I took the kennel into the kitchen and put it right on the counter and made her get out into the sink for her bath. She does not like the baths, but they are a necessity if she continues to mess and lay in it. So, she's all bathed now and I took her outsided to go potty. She did pee but obviously didn't poop cuz she just did it in her kennel. I also put her snacks right by the back door so we we would have them on hand for when she potties outside.

I noticed she has been sneaking into the big dog's food dish in addition to her little puppy dish. She's a little sneak when she does it cuz she takes one morsel at a time. I pulled up the dog food dish and put it on a table where my big dog can still get at it cuz she's used to grazing during the day after her initial feeding in the morning.

I guess I will have to have my hubby build something to elevate the food and water dish on so puppy can't get at it but big dog can cuz my big dog stays thirsty all the time and I would not want to deprive her of her food and water.

Anyway... I cleaned out the kennel. I took the divider out and put her cushy pillow back in there with all her toys. I then got the treat bags out and put a treat in her kennel and she's still in there eating her chewy treat. I took the kennel door right off so she can get out if she wants to but she's just laying there eating her treat. She's been in there for about 15 minutes now and not trying to get out. I'm sure when she's done with her chew snack she will want out of there pronto.

I am optomistic this will work. She has finished her snack and came out of her kennel to sit on my lap for a minute but then has been back in and out of her kennel on her own a few more times. She mis judged the jump from the chair to my lap and fell on the floor and immediately jumped up on my chair for me to pick her up. I picked her up to love on her and she broke loose and ran into her kennel...lolol.

Now she is just looking at me and chewing on her kennel in between stares. She pokes her head out every minute or so to look at the big dog laying on the floor beneath her. And she actually looks content.... yipppeeee... this may work after all.

Well, wish me luck... lord knows I'm gonna need it. Now she's pulling all her bedding up in her kennel...lolol

nancy2394

okay, it's been 45 minutes now and my puppy (Lola) is actually by choice laying down in her kennel with the door off almost asleep. I have the kennel on a chair right next to my chair so she can see me. Ohhhh.... I just turned my head to peek at her and she's got her eyes closed.....

I've already taken her out 2 more times since the last post. She peed one time and got a treat and praised. The second time she just ran around and played and got into my rose bush.

Oh I am sooooo excited about this. I just have to try not to get too excited because I am sure she's gonna have more accidents.... but one can hope, right?? lolol

bubbatd

I hope you're on the right track !! I don't know the smaller breeds, but I know most are harder to break and toilet train. The age you got him may have been a problem. Good luck and keep us posted.

Nancy, I'm probably not saying anything everyone else hasn't already said but....
When you take Lola outside to go potty, *tell* her to go potty outside. Don't go in til she goes and when she does go, tell her "good potty outside" (or what ever words you want...just use them consistantly). When you are inside and it's time for her to go out, ask her if she has to go potty outside and then take her out. In other words, get her to learn the words with the action. Take her out every half hour or so while she is awake. Take her out after she wakes up. Take her out after she has played hard (because in the throes of playing, they just go.."oh..I gotta pee" and just drop and do it!) Your whole life now is taking that little dog outside constantly. Be one step ahead of her always. Pretty soon she will "get it", I'm sure.
My puppy also took a while and she also had some accidents in the crate (and peed on the couch a few times too!) but she is 5 months old now and hasn't had an accident in I don't know how long. During the training process, she would even pee and poo when I told her to "go potty outside" almost on command.
I would also do as the others suggested with the meals instead of free feeding but I don't agree with withholding water all night. It's a pretty sure bet that your pup is going to have to poop shortly after eating or treats. They are little poop machines after all. Also, when she barks, take her outside. She will learn then that if she needs to go out she needs to tell you.
Just continue being patient and consistant and it will all work out.

Pam

nancy2394

I know everyone is probably sick of me talking about my puppy.... but I just have to share one more thing tonight. She has been soooo good tonight. Ever since I took the door off the kennel and didn't "force" her to stay in there... she's going in there all on her own.

She did have one poop accident in my kitchen and one pee accident in my daughters room tonight. The pee accident was not her fault.... my rottie chased her in a temper flare up showing her who's boss and scared her half to death and by the time she got to my daughter's room she was trembling and pee peed on the floor. So, that wasn't her fault. The poop one on the other hand was a full blown accident...lol.

I just checked on my daughter and the puppy a few minutes ago and when i turned on the hall light to see... all i could see was the puppy's little head hanging out of her kennel and she was fast asleep. The kennel is on my daughter's bed with her...lol.

The true test will be to see how she does today when she gets up. I will pray for patience tonight...lol. I'm just hoping she starts to do better... she just has to... tonight is a definate step in the right direction.

Saje

Island dweller
Sounds like things are going well. And don't hesitate to post as much as you like. We're here to talk about dogs!

That's great news, I'm glad things are going in the right direction. 11 weeks is still so long to be completely potty trained, we got Cocoa @ 10 weeks and I bet it took us a good month before she was 95% broken. So my guess would be to give this one a few more weeks and your accidents should be less and less. Hang in there.

Members online

No members online now.