Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
Apparently you don't watch much pro football? Ever seen a lineman's gut?

Or baseball. I'm always shocked at the condition some of those guys are in.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
Apparently you don't watch much pro football? Ever seen a lineman's gut?
What about shot put (sp?) and javelin toss? Those guys aren't exactly trim..
Yeah, overweight is semi-common in football, and not just defensive guys either. There was some high school kid not that long ago who is a big, heavy kid, and he had MAD sprints on him - somewhere out there is a highlights reel of all his touchdowns. Not just once... sprinting for touchdown after touchdown after touchdown. Nobody expects a fat kid to be that fast. All those skinny kids trying to chase him down and he was just gone.
I'm thinking of a couple overweight quarterbacks too.

And if we want to debate about how leaner is automatically better for sports performance, heavy weight lifters often maintain a higher level of body fat percentage - they lift more when they are LESS lean. I can think of at least a few basketball players at the college and professional level who are "big guys inside" and the fact that they aren't super lean makes them a serious threat.

But on a broader sense of a professional athlete versus a police officer, it's the athlete's JOB to play their sport and be in the physical condition required to do said sport well. They don't have to do anything else.
I can think of just a few tiny, minor things a police officer might have to do besides work out.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
My Malinois are trained for sport and encouraged to have PP behaviors for the chance cops are not around for me. Not to run a vigilante team around the city chasing criminals and doing the job I not only pay police to do but trust police to do. There is a far cry from walking in the woods, running into someone, expecting my dogs to run interference, and getting away or using my dogs as a deterrent in the home or car than to actively seeking out a criminal already being pursued by not only officers but a trained police k9. When I drove a fast car I didn't jump into car chases for concern the cops couldn't keep up with the criminal, I pulled over and let them pass because its the law and a very reasonable law at that.

As a dog trainer when I have some well meaning kid or nonhandlers hovering cookies and repeating commands and trying to "help" it only hurts my job helping their parents train their puppy, that's a worlds away minuscule task comparatively but I still expect busy helpers to get out of my way for their safety and the one being trained.

I don't know if I am better at chasing criminals, I haven't tried it because its not my job and likely never will be. I will stick to paying my taxes and keeping my eyes open. I additionally will stick to thinking people who tear down cops as a whole (such as those who make websites devoted to hateful photos and begin editing photos when they can't find enough real proof) or k9s as a whole and give this as a reasonable excuse to get in the way are foolish and potentially at fault if they get hurt interfering.
Again, WHERE THE HELL DID I OR ANYONE OR THAT MATTER "TEAR DOWN COPS AS A WHOLE?" READ WHAT WAS WRITTEN NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO READ INTO IT.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
Or baseball. I'm always shocked at the condition some of those guys are in.
And how many of any of those guys run full sprint for a couple of city blocks at a time?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Top Dog

And again if being overweight or obese isn't an impairment to the job, WHY DO MOST DEPARTMENTS HAVE WEIGHT STANDARDS?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
But on a broader sense of a professional athlete versus a police officer, it's the athlete's JOB to play their sport and be in the physical condition required to do said sport well. They don't have to do anything else.
I can think of just a few tiny, minor things a police officer might have to do besides work out.
It is part of an officer's JOB to perform at a specific physical level. My point is, when someone is no longer able to physically perform their job they either do something about it, or get a new job. I can't think of anything more important than making sure you continue to be able to do your job.

Being an officer is VERY physically, mentally, and emotionally demanding. No doubt. That's why very few applicants actually pass all the physical, academic, and psychiatric testing required to become one in the first place. Not everybody SHOULD be an officer, and not everybody who becomes one remains fit to be one long term (mentally, physically, and emotionally). That includes people who physically cannot perform up to department standards because unlike pro athletes, IT PUTS PEOPLE'S LIVES IN DANGER, ESPECIALLY THEIR OWN.

Also, lean and fit =/= tiny slender twig. Some of these huge thick guys are ripped and have a low BMI.

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/employment/fitness_test.htm

Copy/paste messed up the chart format but if you're curious there's the link.
Quote:
Physical Fitness Test

The following are the Cooper Institute Physical Fitness Test and Norms for Law Enforcement Standards which applicant’s tests will be based on:

Perform the one minute push up test, followed by a rest period.
Perform the one minute sit up test, followed by a rest period.
Do a cardio warm up for 2 to 3 minutes, and then perform a 1.5 mile run.

Refer to the fitness video for demonstrations of the following tests:
The Cooper Institute Fitness Standards (Male 40%)

Age Push ups Sit ups 1.5 mile run

20-29 29 38 12:29
30-39 24 35 12:53
40-49 18 29 13:50
50-59 13 24 15:14
60 + 10 19 17:19

Note: The Cooper Institute does not have established standards for males 19 ˝ years of age in all categories; therefore, these applicants will be held to the 20-29 male standards.

The Cooper Institute Fitness Standards (Female 40%)

Age Push ups Sit ups 1.5 mile run

20-29 15 32 15:05
30-39 11 25 15:56
40-49 9 20 17:11
50-59 12 (m) 14 19:10
60 + 5 (m) 6 20:55

Note: The Cooper Institute does not have established standards for females 19 ˝ years of age in all categories; therefore, they will be held to the 20-29 female standards.

(m) = notes the standard for modified push-ups.

Body Fat Standards

Applicants applying for the position of trooper cadet are required to meet departmental body fat standards, as outlined in the application. Failure to meet these standards will require the applicant to submit a waiver within 10 days of their scheduled test date. Proof can be obtained through having their body fat percentage evaluated under the following guidelines:

Waivers must be printed on official letterhead or other professionally recognized correspondence, and the applicants full name must be clearly annotated somewhere on the waiver.

Waivers will be obtained from a physical fitness facility, gym, health care provider, military, or other credible organization experienced in conducting body fat evaluations.

The evaluation must indicate that the applicant’s body fat is fewer than 20% for males and 26% for females, with a numerical result clearly indicated (ex. 18.5%).
Waivers must not be handwritten and shall contain information related to who conducted the evaluation, the type of measurement used, in which facility it was conducted, and the date and time the evaluation was completed.
There is no portion of that test where being overweight will enhance your performance or give you an edge in any way. And it explicitly states what the body fat standards are.

Officers aren't shot put throwers, they're expected to run, sprint, and wrestle bad guys hyped up on meth if needed. Being overweight is not a help to performing well in those aspects.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
Again, WHERE THE HELL DID I OR ANYONE OR THAT MATTER "TEAR DOWN COPS AS A WHOLE?" READ WHAT WAS WRITTEN NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO READ INTO IT.
You might want to take your own needlessly capped advice. I said those who do are foolish, should you not fit in that description you have no reason to be up in arms.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Resident fainting goat

This has very little to do with this thread but just saying adrenaline goes a long way.

I have been a stupid teen drinking before 21, and I have seen how far and how fast "THE COPS ARE HERE!" could take my out of shape little legs

Even if cops are in shape, even if they CAN run just as fast.. criminals I feel have a lot of adrenaline on their side LOL which is why I feel training and general policemen know-how matter more than physical stature in a lot of these kinds of things. A good police officer has that extra edge (the drive to want to catch the person and the know-how), a bad one even if in good shape doesn't have that extra UMPF

and yes, there was a cop calmly waiting around back (where he knew we all would flee) to give us all a lecture on underage drinking and call our parents

We thought we were sooo clever.
"They'll never catch us if we run out the backyard and go around back! genius! Especially since we are being really loud and drunk and clumsy like a herd of idiots!"
Ooh to be young.