What in the heck?!

Discussion in 'The Fire Hydrant' started by CharlieDog, Oct 13, 2012.

  1. CharlieDog

    CharlieDog Rude and Not Ginger

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2008
    Messages:
    9,420
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    2
    Location:
    Georgia
    I've been battling mold for about two months now. Only I've no clue what's causing it/where it's coming from and what to do about it.

    It's ONLY in MY office. Which is the very back of the house, and the one room that gets very little traffic.

    It's ONLY on black fabrics and leather. Nothing else. But not ALL black fabric, because there's a silk tie and a targus backpack that are both black, and in the same area as other stuff that's growing this mold. It ruined my black patrol cap, and it's creeping steadily on my really nice plush chair that I rescued from a yard sale. It cleans off easily, doesn't stain the stuff, but it's growing quickly. I just checked the room about a week ago (shows how often I'm in there) after having cleaned it around two weeks ago and everything was fine.

    It's green and fuzzy on everything it's on though. Leather book covers, a leather binder, ruined my studded leather belt, on my spur straps, ruined my hat, is ruining a messenger bag, ect.

    I just found it on the dresser that's in there though, growing on the wood. Not a lot, but little specks of it. It's not on my rifle stock though, which is also wood, and is sitting ON the dresser. It's not on any clothing in there except black clothing. Not on white, blue, ect stuff. I have no clue what to do about this.

    It's also NOT on the walls, and when we moved in the walls were beige, so if it had been on there when we moved in I would have seen it.

    If it helps, on the walls in the stairwell to the basement that's behind the closet of this room (lemme know if that doesn't make sense) there IS mildew on the walls, but it's not growing/getting worse and it's not staying damp anywhere in the house that I can tell. I'm just at a loss at this point. I just had to throw away a bunch of my stuff because this is creeping me out.

    Help?!
     
  2. stardogs

    stardogs Behavior Nerd

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2009
    Messages:
    4,925
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    2 dogs, 1 cat
    Location:
    NC
    Home Page:
    Maybe try a dehumidifier? If there's mildew there's moisture and that would def contribute to mold growth.

    It seems really odd that it's only growing on black stuff and is gray/green fuzzy mold. Usually the mold you'll see in houses is the black mildew kind ime.
     
  3. jenv101

    jenv101 Bite Club

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    1,590
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    2
    Location:
    Ontario
    Home Page:
    I would bring in an inspector and get to the bottom of it. Mold is not something you want to mess with. Surface mold is usually indicative of a bigger issue that you can't see. :/

    Hope you get to the bottom of it! Definitely sounds strange!
     
  4. Doberluv

    Doberluv Active Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2004
    Messages:
    22,034
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Occupation:
    2 dogs
    Location:
    western Wa
    I agree with this. There could be a small roof leak that's causing a small drip to go down behind or within the wall. I'd heat it up in there and find out what the humidity level is. A professional will have a way to gauge that. Good luck. Yeah, mold is not good to have in your house for sure.
     

Share This Page