toxic plants

Discussion in 'Dog Health Care' started by josephine, Jan 10, 2005.

  1. WestyWife

    WestyWife New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2008
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Most dogs are pretty smart about what they can eat and what they can't. Maybe it's instinct. It probably isn't necessary remove these plants unless the dog takes an interest in them. A watchful eye is probably enough.
     
  2. mrandrei

    mrandrei New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2008
    Messages:
    109
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Florida
    I just read the article. Now I know that the berriers of american mistletoe can cause gastroenterisis.
     
  3. gracegrecia

    gracegrecia New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    This is a helpful post. Dogs can have kidney failure if digest large amount of grapes or raisins. Toxic plants should be keep away from dogs to avoid them being poisoned.
     
  4. germanshepardguy

    germanshepardguy New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2009
    Messages:
    88
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    thanks for posting this
     
  5. mwelling757

    mwelling757 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2009
    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    1
    Location:
    Philippines
    Hi josephine,

    If we really do love our dogs we should be cautious in everything, especially of what they eat. With this information about toxic plants a big help for us dog owners so that we can prevent our dogs to eat those plants.

    Thanks a lot Josephine.
     
  6. Amanda885

    Amanda885 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2009
    Messages:
    684
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    2
    definitely good and useful info on here...can't always stop your mischievous pets from eating something that may not be good....but it' good to know what toxic around the house

    good info! thanks for posting it!
     
  7. ricky

    ricky New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2009
    Messages:
    145
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Home Page:
    thanks for sharing this information. i'll forward to all dog lovers.
     
  8. weivenus2012

    weivenus2012 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2010
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Home Page:
    I think it’s a great tip and I really like this stuff its time saver.It’s a great tip. I am experiencing it in my daily work. Thanks for such valuable post.

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2010
  9. mypaperplates

    mypaperplates New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Home Page:
    Yes, there is a plant called "Congress" which is toxic and can cause skin irritation.
     
  10. battu1se

    battu1se New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    helpful post

    thanks for this post its a very workful and helpful post

    I'm guessing "sticky" is the place where you catch spammers like me. Kinda like flypaper, only 99% of savvy internet users prefer flies to spam.

    Or is that they compare flies to spam?

    Oh . . . OH . . . [​IMG]
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2010
  11. I have always heard chocolate is toxic to dogs and should never be fed or the left, where they can get. Also ethylene Antifreeze is extremely toxic to dogs. It has a sweet taste love will find if left laying around or lick up off soil if spilled from a car. I lost a dog once because a neighbor left some antifreeze sitting in an old pump.
     
  12. robertspears

    robertspears Guest

    Thanks for this information. I love gardening and I am surprised by the amount of poisonous plants that I have - I have to keep an eye on the little Bella. All you seem interested in chewing the grass is - I hope it stays that way or the garden will have to be changed!
     
  13. petsnnature

    petsnnature Animal Nutritionist

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2012
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    5
    Home Page:
    You shouldn't worry too much about toxic plants, because plants are natural thing, and dogs have a very highly developed sense of smell. Toxic plants usually have unpleasant smell to dogs and they won't eat then (at least not enough to get poisoned). Yes, there are exceptions to this rule, but in most cases dogs don't get poisoned so easy by toxic plants.
    Man made toxins are however far more dangerous because they don't exist in the nature, and evolution didn't have time to develop mechanisms to detect them.
    There are hoaxes all over the Internet about toxicity of some plants as well. Garlic is just one of examples. The hoax about garlic toxicity is based on a Japanese study done on 8 dogs. 4 dogs were treated with garlic extract, while 4 other dogs were treated with water. Dogs treated with garlic extract were given equivalent of 5 grams of garlic per 1 kilogram of body weight every day, directly into stomach, with a tube. To translate this to more acceptable measuring system, we could say that 20 lb dogs were ingesting 30 average garlic cloves every day.
    After 10 days of the study, blood test of dogs treated with garlic showed light decrease in the number of red blood cells, but there were no visible symptoms of anemia.
    Now, who in the world would feed their 20 lb dog with 30 garlic cloves every day? I doubt any dog would even want to eat that. That's why scientist had to use a tube to give garlic extract to dogs directly in the stomach, avoiding sensory organs in their mouth. Imagine yourself eating the same amount of garlic every day. For a 150 lb person that would be 225 garlic cloves every day.
    This amount of garlic is, of course, toxic for humans. But when we say garlic, everyone will tell you it's healthy. That's because the amount of garlic we eat is small comparing to our body weight. The same thing applies to dogs. If given in small amount, garlic promotes healthy immune system.

    There are many things that are toxic depending on the amount taken. For example, we all know that Vitamin A is necessary! There is no life without it. But if taken in higher dose it becomes very toxic. The same thing with Vitamin D, Selenium, and many more other nutrients.
     
  14. porchpotty

    porchpotty New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    259
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Oh, thank you for this!
     
  15. el_pic

    el_pic Technocat

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2010
    Messages:
    48
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Austin Texas
    Toxic Mushrooms

    Does anyone know what causes toxic mushrooms to grow in your backyard ?

    Other than search and removal any other ideas ?
     
  16. BloodhoundBlake

    BloodhoundBlake New Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2012
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Some say that bananas especially the peel and the seeds are not good for dogs. Is this true?
     
  17. Sarah Hadley

    Sarah Hadley New Member

    Joined:
    May 7, 2014
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    A big thanks for this useful information. Keep posting such stuff.
     
  18. mcrv11

    mcrv11 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2014
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    1
    Location:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Thanks for the information, I'll keep an eye out so my dog doesn't get into anything toxic
     

Share This Page