Swallowed a piece of a bully stick...

Discussion in 'Puppy Forum' started by animalvr32, Jan 18, 2007.

  1. animalvr32

    animalvr32 Puppy Love

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2006
    Messages:
    78
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Well I was sitting there with her while she was chewing because I always take it when they get small. She NEVER chews unsupervised. Anyway, I went to get it from her and she swallowed it. She seems ok but I am VERY worried.
    Any suggestions? I know I could give her peroxide to make her vomit but I dont really want to do that if I dont have to.
    I worked in the emergency service for animals but it has been awhile since then. I would take any advice.
    Thanks
     
  2. Herschel

    Herschel New Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Messages:
    3,303
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    East Central Illinois
    I don't think she should vomit it back up. If I were you, I would just monitor stools and her health.

    If she has diarrhea (bloody is especially bad) and starts to vomit, you should go see your vet. I'm under the impression that bully stick are completely digestible.

    We only give Herschel the Red Barn variety, and this is the description:

    "These natural steer muscles are lightly smoked, braided and roasted in their natural juices. Highly palatable, they become chewy when wet and provide natural teeth cleaning. 100% digestible."
     
  3. animalvr32

    animalvr32 Puppy Love

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2006
    Messages:
    78
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    That is what I am hoping. I will DEFINATELY watch for any signs of anything out of the ordinary. Thanks so much.
     
  4. Zoom

    Zoom Twin 2.0

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2005
    Messages:
    40,739
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Denver, CO
    It should pass through without an issue; it's basically beef jerky. However, if you are worried, by all means keep an eye on her and make sure she is still eliminating like usual and doesn't suddenly become lethargic.
     
  5. bubbatd

    bubbatd Moderator

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2004
    Messages:
    64,812
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    ^^^^ ditto !
     
  6. SiNNiK

    SiNNiK New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2006
    Messages:
    257
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    do people really give dogs peroxide to induce vomiting? i've ingested a small amount accidentally and it was one of the worst experiences i've ever had.
     
  7. Zoom

    Zoom Twin 2.0

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2005
    Messages:
    40,739
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Denver, CO
    It's a common method. I've used it when the wrong dog got his brother's medication.

    However, it's not for every situation. Giving peroxide if the dog has ingested something like rat poison will speed the reactions of the poison and kill your dog faster.

    It's something to never be used without vet direction.
     
  8. sam

    sam New Member

    Joined:
    May 10, 2006
    Messages:
    894
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    2 dogs, 1 cat
    Location:
    Western Canada
    Bully sticks certainly aren't the most digestible things in the world. I've had Rosie swallow a big chunk and upchuck it. She doesn't get bullies anymore because she WILL swallow too big of peices. Sammy I would let eat them unattended he's never been a gulper.
    I wouldn't induce vomitting- just watch your dog, call the vet if you're at all concerned.
     
  9. Love That Collie

    Love That Collie Owned by 2 Rough Collies

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Messages:
    262
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    2 dogs
    Location:
    United States
    Bailey just did this a couple of weeks ago.
    Only he swallowed a 5 inch piece of bullystick.:yikes:
    Before I knew it, the bullystick was gone.

    I watched him and his poop for a week closely.
    Although I don't know how big your dog is, Bailey is around 80 lbs
    and seems no worse for the wear.
     
  10. gallop-dq

    gallop-dq New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2006
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    5
    Location:
    Virginia
    My puppy (at about 40#) swallowed a big chunk, about 4-5 inches a couple of months ago. I was pretty freaked out about it but hes fine. The bully doesn't really fully digest but it seems to soften and pass ok.
     

Share This Page