I adopted a rescue dachshund about 4 months ago. He is GREAT, very loving, calm and perfect fit energy wise for my house hold. With a couple exceptions. He is so attached to me he goes crazy when I leave, paces and paces from door to door until I get home. He is very skittish around people he doesnâ€™t know but he knows my parents and wonâ€™t calm when Iâ€™m not there. Any way to get him to calm down? Second, no matter what I try I cannot get him potty trained. He is 4-5 years old and was rescued from a puppy mill in Missouri so he has spent his life without a loving home and used to going potty in a cage or crate. I have tried positive reinforcement with little to no success. I know that with his age this can be difficult but I cannot believe that it is impossible. I have also tried changing his feeding schedule, this week I am getting up at 3am so I can feed him and be able to take him out before I leave for work at 6am. I leave him in a crate during the day; the crate is just big enough for him, but he still pees and poops in it, and more than that he walks through it and lays in it. Same thing if I just leave him in the bathroom with the door shut, he pees and poops and walks and lays in it. During the night, I am guilty I let him sleep in bed with me and itâ€™s a habit I am not willing to give up, 60% of the time he will wake me up if he needs to potty, the other 40% of the time he just potties on the floor. Can you still punish for that? I have heard no, but I donâ€™t know how to let him know itâ€™s not ok. PLEASE I am willing to try anything, my parents are both of bad health and my mother is to her end with him and I really donâ€™t want to have to get rid of him!