I have owned cats before but they were housecats and just picked up from neighbors. So I have no clue about cat breeding- pros or cons or legalities of it. But have a question for a friend of mine....here is her story as she explained it to me and would like to have your opinion. We have established that our new Ragamuffin kitty (I have eliminated her name- Jan note), is a great pet. And as you have read, she has a congenital eye condition. First, if any of you are animal breeders or have much experience in this world, I welcome your insight. And second, this is a â€œbuyer beware.â€ Before I begin, let me say that in my mind I am separating my cat's non-monetary value as a beloved pet from the business side of the transaction. Is it fair to do so? In my mind, yes. I welcome opinions on this as well! So, letâ€™s go back to my visit with my cat's ophthalmologist, shall we? At that appointment, within the first few minutes, the doctor stated that my kitty had multiple congenital defects and very limited vision. She asked if we had a health guarantee, and I stated that we did and it said that if there was a health problem, we could return her for a replacement kitty. I said that I hesitated to do that because we were already attached to our kitty. The vet thought it would be reasonable to either receive a refund, because this kitty could never have been sold at the â€œgoing priceâ€ for Ragamuffins with this condition, or to receive a replacement kitty without sending our kitty back. In the words of the vet, â€œWhat are they going to do with her? They canâ€™t resell her!â€ Good point. The vet also recommended that we have an attorney draft a letter to the Ragamuffin breeder stating those options. So, being the nice people that we are, we decided getting an attorney involved was a bit much, and we drafted our own email letter, emphasizing that we love our kitty, but that come on!, sheâ€™s not quite the kitty we paid for. We received an email back stating that the ONLY offer we would get was that we could either ship the kitty back at our expense and have them ship us another kitty at our expense (And folks, have any of you ever shipped an animal? It ainâ€™t cheap, my friends.) or we could purchase a second kitty from them at a discount. And even with that discount, I might add, it would be cheaper to go elsewhere to get another Ragamuffin. So we have a beautiful Raga Muffin cat. We paid full price. Well, not really, because they had a previous buyer back out, so this one was a bit older than normal, so she was â€œdiscountedâ€ a bitâ€“probably the cost of the deposit. But we paid a hefty fee, and the discount was not related to the eye condition. So, we were told that our two options were basically to spend more money (shipping our kitty back and having a replacement shipped to us) or to spend more money (purchasing a second Ragamuffin at a discount). Not quite what we were looking for. I replied AGAIN and stated that we seemed to be at an impasse, and that we would keep our kitty. However, I informed the breeder that I will forward the vet report to the RAG (Ragamuffin Associated Group) and that I assume they will as well since they are required to submit information about any congenital anomalies. So folks, give me your opinion. All of our pets except for Max, the burping Golden Retriever, are mutt-cats either from the pound or about to be sent to the pound, so my experience with breeders is very limited. So I ask youâ€“is the way this breeder handled this situation typical? Is this a fair offer, or should there be some way for us to keep our kitty, and yet receive at least a partial refund? Thanks all!