Please! Need Advice! Urgent!

Discussion in 'Dog Health Care' started by yoko, Nov 29, 2006.

  1. yoko

    yoko New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2005
    Messages:
    5,347
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    2
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    yoshi ate chocolate and i was wondering if i should be worried?? is it enough to hurt her? should i call the vet?

    what she ate was about five/six chocolate candies. they're mostly peanut butter but they have a chocolate coating. the whole box is 7 oz but she ate half sooo like... 3.5 oz. what should i watch for? do you think she will be ok? i'm really worried i feel so bad! it was on the counter and she'd never gotten up there before and i didn't think she could reach or anything and there aren't chairs around there so i don't even know how she got them! please help what should i do???
     
  2. AnimalLoverCatRescuer

    AnimalLoverCatRescuer New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2006
    Messages:
    604
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    many many cats
    Location:
    OH
    I am sure she will be fine but keep a close eye. I believe it is mostly the baking kind of chocolate that is a concern, plus the fact that what she ate was partly or mostly peanut butter...I think it will be fine. But like I said, watch her carefully. She might have a little diarrhea.
     
  3. zoe08

    zoe08 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2006
    Messages:
    5,160
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Texas
    Home Page:
    I don't think 3.5 oz is enough to cause any harm. It usually takes about an oz per pound of body weight. But it is always a good idea just to call your vet to ask what they suggest you do.
     
  4. otch1

    otch1 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2006
    Messages:
    1,497
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    dogs, cats, horses, llama, goats and parrot
    Location:
    washington
    Ditto previous posts. Your dog looks to be 45 to 50lbs in picture (?) so she should be fine. Just have Pepto available as you may deal with slightly messy stools in am. You said she couldn't reach counter... you'd be amazed at what we'd all climb on tip toes for good chocolate! Lol.
     
  5. yoko

    yoko New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2005
    Messages:
    5,347
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    2
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    yeah she's about 50 lbs. i'm watching her and she seems fine as of right now *ate about three hours ago is my best bet* thanks for the advice. but another quick question. is pepto ok? wouldn't i want to let her get it all out? for lack of better words
     
  6. Dulce Pit Bull

    Dulce Pit Bull Pit Lover

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2006
    Messages:
    954
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Pepto is ok. So is PepcidAC. If you are really concerned, and want her to throw it up (which a vet MAY suggest you do) give her a little Peroxide to induce vomiting.
     
  7. hollybea

    hollybea New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2006
    Messages:
    95
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Home Page:
    i know its not right but our old dog had chocolate every day of her life for all 23yrs and was fine BUT thats not to say its ok for your dog, i think its like nuts with humans, some react and some dont as said before just ring the vet for a chat if worried.
     
  8. Dulce Pit Bull

    Dulce Pit Bull Pit Lover

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2006
    Messages:
    954
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I don't think it's an allergic reaction..
     
  9. smkie

    smkie pointer/labrador/terrier Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2004
    Messages:
    55,144
    Likes Received:
    28
    Trophy Points:
    48
    When our lab ate a one pound solid milk chocolate easter rabbit the vet said to give him two quarts of milk and put him outside. WE did and he had no ill effects from the chocolate or the milk but he was a tank of a dog, over a hundred pounds and from what i have read size and the type of chocolate makes a difference. Dark being the worst.
     
  10. carlar

    carlar Dog Lover Boutique

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2005
    Messages:
    234
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    6
    Location:
    Kansas
    Home Page:
    It's always scary when you are afraid something your dog ate will hurt them. My vet says no pepto but to give them Kaopectate. Not sure why but I do what he says.
     
  11. yoko

    yoko New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2005
    Messages:
    5,347
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    2
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    i wanted to thank everyone for their good advice! i did call the vet and he told me best was to have her out for a while until she pooped it all out because he said that would probably be the worst of it. it turned out to be the night the tempf inally dropped below freezing and it started snowing the next day so i just kept taking her out. yoshi's fine now :) and back to being spoiled rotten :D
     

Share This Page