Persimmon dangerous/toxic to dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Health Care' started by Michiyo-Fir, Dec 9, 2010.

  1. Michiyo-Fir

    Michiyo-Fir New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2010
    Messages:
    2,494
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I left the skin of a persimmon plus one seed in a paper towel on the chair of my piano because I was going to take it downstairs to throw away. However, I forgot and went out. When I got back the seed and skin was gone but the bottom of the persimmon is still here.

    I quickly googled it and it says persimmon is probably not dangerous but the seed can cause blockages and is toxic?

    Should I be worried? I'm not sure if she ate the seed whole or chewed it up. Is it going to make her sick or cause a blockage?

    I suspect most likely it will be ok but what do you guys think?
     
  2. Saeleofu

    Saeleofu Active Member

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2009
    Messages:
    9,036
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    I'd probably make her vomit just in case...it may be too late for vomiting to to any good, but it's worth a try :/ I don't know if the seeds are toxic or not. You might also try calling the animal poison control (sorry don't know the number off hand)
     
  3. Michiyo-Fir

    Michiyo-Fir New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2010
    Messages:
    2,494
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I don't think I want to try to make her vomit since it was just the skin plus one seed. It's not like she ate a lot of it. Most sources I see just says it's toxic to horses.

    I just searched its effect on dogs and all websites say
    "Seeds can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis."

    I somehow don't think she swallowed the seed whole because she's a very thorough chewer but I think she'll be ok. Hopefully she won't have diarrhea or any blockage problems.
     

Share This Page