Mammary Tumor, help?

Discussion in 'Dog Health Care' started by bandaide, Sep 25, 2009.

  1. bandaide

    bandaide Not So Proper

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2009
    Messages:
    104
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    I flipped Toast over yesterday and discovered this:
    [​IMG]

    My mom took her to the vet later that day. The vet did a screening panel and said everything looked normal except some protein levels. (Sorry I can't be more specific, but my mom doesn't remember the details.) She also got 2 radiographs and said that the mass was the only one she saw. She prescribed Metacam (anti-inflammatory? An infection doesn't seem very likely though right? No increased WBC count.) and Clavamox (antibiotic?). The bump is very firm, and from the little I've read about mammary tumors (because I'm assuming that's what it is), if they crop up quickly like this it's usually malignant. That was last night. My mom called the vet today to see about getting it removed. We are now waiting on a radiologist (or something) to see what options we have with surgery, and we should hear back from her tomorrow.

    I'm a little overwhelmed. I don't know what I should do for this, and I'm hoping you guys have some suggestions. I figured removing it as quickly as possible would be the smart thing so it doesn't metastasize. Surgery is dangerous because Toast is only 5.9lbs and has an enlarged heart (I don't know why her heart would be enlarged...). What questions should we be asking the vet? She is also not spayed, which I have now learned put her more at risk for these tumors. :(

    Thanks for anything, even those special Chaz vibes.
     
  2. Island dog

    Island dog New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2007
    Messages:
    990
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    How awful. Sorry, I don't have any suggestions. Sending positive vibes for a good outcome.
     
  3. bandaide

    bandaide Not So Proper

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2009
    Messages:
    104
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the vibes!
     
  4. elegy

    elegy overdogged

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2006
    Messages:
    7,720
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Home Page:
    the heart thing would be my biggest concern, but i'd be wanting to get her spayed, have that lump removed and biopsied to find out what it is.
     
  5. CaliTerp07

    CaliTerp07 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    Messages:
    7,652
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    Just Miss Lucy-fur, my wondermutt!
    Location:
    Alexandria, VA
    Poor girl :( I hope the vet gets back to you quickly so you can get things moving.
     
  6. bubbatd

    bubbatd Moderator

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2004
    Messages:
    64,812
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Keep us posted ....that looks sore !
     
  7. bandaide

    bandaide Not So Proper

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2009
    Messages:
    104
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    I really want to have it removed, the vet still hasn't called yet. I'm worried about the enlarge heart too, but I don't really know much about it. What kind of things cause enlarged hearts?

    I'm also worried about a surgery. We didn't get her spayed because she is so small, and we were worried about the anesthesia. I've heard a few stories of small dogs getting too much and dying on the table.

    Still waiting. :-/
     
  8. JessLough

    JessLough Love My Mutt

    Joined:
    May 16, 2009
    Messages:
    13,402
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Gender:
    Female
    Occupation:
    Kennel Manager
    Location:
    Guelph, Ontario
    Most of the time, an enlarged heart is something they are born with. It really is just a birth defect.

    Also, just wanted to add that I hope you hear something soon and that it all gets figured out! <<VIBES>>
     
  9. PoodleMommy

    PoodleMommy Yorkie Love

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2006
    Messages:
    6,443
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I hope everything works out... just to ease your mind though small dogs can do fine under anesthesia... Armani is only 4.12 pounds and was under twice (once to be neutered, once to have a tooth removed).

    If the vet is experienced and knows what they are doing they shouldnt have a problem..

    Keep us updated, hope all is well.
     
  10. Lolas Dad

    Lolas Dad New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Messages:
    1,017
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Lola is 10 pounds and I had her spayed. Spaying before a first heat cycle reduces the risk of mammary cancer to 0% and if there is one heat cycle before spaying then it reduces the chances of mammary cancer to about 6-7% from what I read somewhere.

    I could have taken her to a Low cost spay clinic but did not want to take any chances so I took her to a vet that was recommended to me from my sister who uses the same vet.
     
  11. elegy

    elegy overdogged

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2006
    Messages:
    7,720
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Home Page:
    well, any size dog can have anesthetic complications. at 6 pounds, she's really not *that* small. there'd be more risk if she develops a pyometra and is sick when she goes to surgery, instead of going now when she's relatively healthy.
     
  12. Boemy

    Boemy New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Poor dog! :( I'm sending good vibes for you and her.
     
  13. bandaide

    bandaide Not So Proper

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2009
    Messages:
    104
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    Good news! The bump has really reduced in size and the vet said that an infection is the most likely cause, because if it was a tumor it would have increased in size. (Now I feel a little ridiculous for freaking out.) We are finishing her meds and we are going to go back to the vet to get it checked on again.

    My question now is should I go ahead and get her spayed? She is 6 years old, and if what I read is right, spaying her now won't reduce her risk for mammary tumors but it will obviously reduce her risk for pyometra. Is spaying her now "worth it"? Will she benefit?
     
  14. CaliTerp07

    CaliTerp07 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    Messages:
    7,652
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    Just Miss Lucy-fur, my wondermutt!
    Location:
    Alexandria, VA
    Yay! Glad she is okay :) (No help on the medical questions though...)
     
  15. bubbatd

    bubbatd Moderator

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2004
    Messages:
    64,812
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Good news !! I'd spay ....why go through heats .
     
  16. Grab

    Grab Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2005
    Messages:
    3,374
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Personally I'd spay. Older females are generally more likely to get pyometra (though it can happen in younger dogs as well) and having a spay done then just ups the risks. I'd also continue to monitor the lump. Sometimes there is inflamation around a tumor that shrinks a bit. Hoping, obviously, that it's just an infection though.

    5 lbs is not that tiny. And, regarding anesthesia, vets and techs don't just blast the anesthesia full force on little unsuspecting dogs;) It's monitored quite closely. And while risk of complications during anesthesia is present in ALL dogs, large or small, there are incredibly safe anesthetics used these days. You might look into having just gas anesthetic used, and talk to your vet about it at the next appointment. They usually have some sort of handout so that clients can read up and feel comfortable with whatever decision they make.
     
  17. OutlineACDs

    OutlineACDs Crazy Dog!

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2006
    Messages:
    1,341
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Texas
    Agree with Grab. Keep an eye on the tumor for another week or two. If it isn't completely gone, or flares up again after the antibiotics then get it removed and go ahead with the spay while she is under. When my bitch had a mammary lump my vet wasted NO time in getting her under to have it biopsied. It was mammary cancer, so I was glad he was hasty about it.
     
  18. Island dog

    Island dog New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2007
    Messages:
    990
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    You must be so relieved. Glad all is well.
     
  19. bandaide

    bandaide Not So Proper

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2009
    Messages:
    104
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

    My mom is the one who is ultimately making the decision because she will be paying for it, but I'm trying to gather enough information for her. She didn't even want to go back to the vet because the bump is almost gone, but I would really like to go back and get it checked again. Not sure if she will go for a spay because the vet said spaying her now wouldn't reduce the risk of a mammary tumor, but I'll try to make it to the next vet appointment and see what the vet thinks about a spay.

    Thanks again guys!
     

Share This Page