One of my cats, Charlie, is in surgery today. He occasionally gets a swollen gum/lip that the vet says appears to be some kind of allergic reaction, but he has told me to always bring him in for it because they can get sores in and around the mouth that are malignant. He went 2 weeks ago with his swollen lip and got a shot of steroids and antibiotics. The vet mentioned that he had a small lesion inside his mouth, too, and to bring him in for a recheck after the antibiotic treatment. We went in Saturday. The lip was back to normal, but the place inside his mouth was still there. The vet said it needed to come out. We're going out of town for some of the holidays and having company when we're home. We asked to wait until after the New Year, but he didn't advise it. We also asked to wait until the end of the week, and then leave Charlie in the hospital to recuperate while we're out of town. Again, he said even the wait to Friday was too long for his comfort, so he's in today getting the tumor removed.