Discussion in 'Dogs - General Dog Chat' started by Laurelin, Jul 28, 2012.
Just do it....
I would go for it. Life is short babe. This is from a fellow follower maker of spread sheets, amazon wish lists, budget pages and giant files full of pictures and word documents..
Life is SHORT and it doesn't follow the plan. The best laid plans usually get messed up halfway there and things have a way of working themselves out even when you do something rash.
You don't want to look back 2 years from now or a year from now wishing you had got that puppy you wanted more then ANYTHING instead of waiting forever for things to be perfect.
You have the time, the financials, the knowledge, the room.. right now. There is ALWAYS going to be something stopping your plan from being perfect.. new homes come with less time, new location, new job, new needy boyfriend, new hurdles with your current dogs, new home repairs, ANYTHING. and It will again make getting a new addition feel like "the wrong time" or it might actually BE the wrong time and you will realize looking back that the time when you had the space, financials, and time was the RIGHT TIME and you didn't do it because you were scared of it not being 100% perfect. And that you are in the right place right now for an adult dog and wishing you had done the puppy thing while it was possible.
So yea, this is me..enabling lol
We got our third dog while still renting....that third dog was Kestrel. I agree with others that if the only major thing standing in your way is the renting thing, then I'd do it, especially since you have a landlord who is supportive and a back up just in case. Plus fostering while you figure out specifics would give you the option to double check how you like the 3 dog dynamic in the house if you're really worried about how you'd swing 3 in the current set up.
Well I do like having Beau and/or Rose here. Makes things more interesting. Of course it will be different with a new dog. Beau and Rose are older and also very easy dogs.
I think I am going to ask the landlord if it would be an option in the future IF I end up having to retire one of my two. Then waiting and seeing. I would really like to wait till I can get a BC puppy. I think I would be happy with another, smaller dog though if I do need something to continue training with. But if I can wait and get my dream dog then maybe I should. I've been wanting one for so long. In that scenario, I'd end up with 4 dogs. I'd be okay with it but it's not ideal for me, I don't think.
I just keep coming down to the fact I don't want to shortchange my current two and they both love classes right now. My trainer and vets have been telling me that Mia is fine to do agility now. Summer's doing well right now. I'm getting a lot of compliments on them and training them both is keeping me busy. It's justin the back of my mind that I don't have an ideal sound, young dog to work with so training these two may not get me to where I want to go, which is competition. But working with these two will always help prepare me for foundations for a sports puppy. Two years really isn't that long, I suppose.
I don't think it helps that I'm a worrier by nature either. Worrier and overthinker= not a good combo.
Oh and when I say buy a house, I mean in the same town and with the same job hopefully.
Ugh now I'm thinking about how fun it would be to have a third though. Just even around the house. I am so wish-washy.
I will be super excited if you add one.
I hope I don't sound like a party pooper, but keep in mind that newbie won't be like Beau or Rose. I know there are lots of people here who have multiple super high energy dogs and probably think it's a piece of cake. I'm not them. Having two relatively high needs dogs right now (and a demanding career) is hard work for me. Maybe it wouldn't be for you, of course, or maybe it would be and it would be worth it. (My two are definitely worth it! But no way on god's green earth am I getting another anytime soon, lol.) Just keep in mind that your new addition is going to need a lot from you, as will at least Mia, and you'll have to do it all on your own.
Again, I don't pretend to know what's best for you. I am happy to enable too if that's what you'd like.
I would talk to your landlord, then just kind of look around a bit. If it's meant to happen the right dog will present itself. If not then it won't. I truly believe everything happens for a reason and you will end up with the right dog one way or another. Most of us will have many dogs over the course of our lives and they are all sent to us to teach us something valuable, even if it's not what we expect or when we expect it.
I agree that you should go for it. But I've always been pretty impulsive. But you've wanted another for for a long time. I say either get a 3rd small dog now, or move in Oct when the lease is up, and get a puppy. OR remind your landlord how well trained your dogs are, and ask if getting a puppy would be okay, since you'd train the new puppy to be just as well behaved.
Oh Laur you've wanted a third dog for quite some time. Just do it. Lol
^ This. That's kind of where I'm at right now. Only I'm more on the side of "you still need to wait a few more months" than "do it, do it, do it!" But if Chloe will indeed be staying with my mom and my budget is going to be where I think it is going to be...then I'm not going to turn down the perfect dog that I stumble across.
I've been looking at dog three too. Still competing with my two. Sadly not going to get what I wanted from cocker breeders.. I found the PERFECT b*tch I wanted a puppy from. Apparently I wasn't as good as the breeders friends as they are getting her eventual pups.
I've finally picked another breed. I'm looking hard at frenchies. Was at an AAC trial yesterday. Was really put down for my want. Generally by the BC people.. Having a hard time finding a breeder breeding what I want.. as it seems not all frenchies grow up to be pretty.. And I want the whole package, not just any dog. Don't want to be forced into a 6 month old speuter.. etc. Happy to play sports with it and promote the breeder like mad, but not too many frenchie folk seem to care.
im in the same boat you are, living wise i am in the perfect place right now... parents ranch.... plenty of room (100 acres) huge 1/2 acre yard the prob is that might not be perminant & we have no job right now & the dog i think i am going to get if i decide to get a puppy is a cane corso which is a HUGE dog LOL so i dont know if i can make that dream happen or not right now or in the near future
May i ask if you have experience with the cane corso breed?
I would say go for it Laur, you have wanted a third dog for so long. You are also completely capable of handling a third. I would just say, don't settle for something less than what you want just because you want a third so bad...although I really don't think you would do that.
No but I have been researching them for the past yr or so, haven't gone to see any breeders yet but like I said this is like..... Waaaaaay off into the future.
They are a pretty intense breed. Dog aggression will be a definite and they have very intense guarding instincts. They are not for everyone. If you have researched them then you must know these things...
Agree with all of this, especially the bold!
Also, I find it awesome that this thread has over 1000 views.
ETA: It wouldn't be a disaster at all if any of the following were to become chazdogs.
And holy cow! $20 adoption fee, you can't beat that.
Oh my goodness that dog is cute...sooo cute... <3
Yes I am aware they can have DA, but I also have owned & had experience with a few breeds that can have DA; GDS's ,mastiffs, dobermans, & even ACDs & JRT's who since they are small ppl don't think they can be bad but when hey do fight & it can be out of thr blue, they will kill one another or in the process Dona lot of damage to each other in a shockingly short time.
O.M.F.G the sheltie/pap mix.
HE'S IN CHICAGO.
LAUR I CAN GO GET HIM FOR YOU.
Separate names with a comma.