Discussion in 'Dog Health Care' started by *Amy*, Jan 11, 2008.
Amy- can you PM me your email addy? I want to share something with you.
This may be the case for dogs who are pets. My youngest dog had demodex when she was young. I took her in to the vet and he advised me (which is what I have heard elsewhere too) that if I was interested in breeding her in the future I would NOT treat the demodex. The reason being, if it would not clear up on its own or turned from localized to generalized then she should not be bred. If I would have treated the demodectic mange without giving her immune system a chance to fight it off, I would risk passing on a compromised immune system to the puppies. When you treat it with medication you don't know if the dogs immune system can fight it on its own.
That is true and what my vet advises as well. My vet actually won't treat it if it's 3 spots or less. If it is an animal to be used for breeding then as you said, it is important to see if the dog can eventually control and cure it on their own without meds. If not, they should not be bred do to their assumed genetically insufficient immune system.
Well, I was only going to do the dips if it was extremely necessary. If it comes to that, I will ask my vet about Ivomec.
What do you recommend bathing her with and how do I boost her immune system? I'm going to give the Goodwinol a chance. It might work for Carlie. I'll use the Goodwinol and work on boosting her immune system (if I find out how).
My dog is my pet... I would never breed her because she is a mixed breed. I understand waiting to see if a dog's immune system will fight it off in a case of wanting to possibly breed the dog in the future, but in this case it's already obvious that her immune system can't fight off the mites. If her immune system could, it wouldn't have become mange.
And this instance is for pets- I'd hate for lurkers to read that it will get better on it's own when it can possibly turn into something unmanageable. I understand why a responsible breeder would wait, but this is not the case.
The name of the shampoo escapes me at the moment, but I'll do some digging to find it. I think you should use the Goodwinol on top of other things. In the email I sent you, there are some probiotics listed, but since she is on antibiotics, it's going to be kind of tough for a little bit. Do you have her on any supplements?
No, I currently don't have her on any supplements. Do you think I should put her on Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Zinc and MSM (her food already has Vitamin E in it)? That seems like so much to start giving her. I'm not sure if I want to do that.
I am planning on using the Goodwinol on top of some supplements and the antibiotics she is on (in case she has any infection within the spots). The Goodwinol may not have worked for Buddy because his mange was worse than Carlie's is, so that's why I'm still giving it a chance to work.
No, I think you need to consult a professional that can tell you what would be appropriate to give her. Buddy's case was extreme and he already had a compromised immune system to begin with, so the measures to help him were above and beyond. He was on colostrum, zinc, msm, vit a, vit c,vit e, astragulus root, milk thistle.. i could go on and on. Many of those may not be necessary for Carlie. I really recommend talking to Mordy.
Yes, I realize that, which is why I think you should continue to use it.
Okay, thanks. I think I'll try emailing Mordy.
That's great, she's really awesome! She's helped us a lot with all three of our dogs.