Shelties in comparison to Collies

ACooper

Kevin is in love with Collies. He had one as a childhood dog and I do believe it was his "heart dog" even though guys (at least not Kevin) do not speak in those terms.

If we considered a Sheltie instead of a Collie, how big would the difference be in personality, behavior, etc?

I have heard that Shelties are a lot more "yippy" and really don't know if that is the case or hear say.

This is just going off of personal experience, but from what I have seen, there is a huge difference between both breeds.

The Shelties are velcro dogs, they want to be with you at all times. Very high energy, but also very intelligent...Peaches is the 'little human' of the dogs. They do bark...a lot(face on the magazine, doorbell on the T.V. etc). Shelties also tend to be a bit more shy around strangers. While not a trait breeders want, many have it. The shelties, as a breed, just seem more intense then the Collies. Always ready to go, and always keeping an eye out on things. Fun little dogs, just more energy!

The Collies are much more independent. While they want to be around you and love their humans, they have no need to be right next to you all the time(they will walk in, see you are still there, and happily take off back to their couch in the other room). I do have to note though that while they are independent, they do bond very closely with you. They do bark, but not as much as the shelties. They are reserved around strangers, but still very friendly...I have found my male to be much more outgoing towards strangers then my female. One of the things I love about the Collies is how they will curl up and sleep in the house one second, but be ready for a hike the next. Really a nice balance. They can be a bit stubborn to train, and they need a good reason to do the command(but still very trainable). They don't like doing the same thing over, and over again.

While the breeds look similar, I wouldn't get a sheltie thinking it will have the temperament of a Collie. They are just very different. However, both are great dogs.:)

ttwillow

I can understand why your husband loves collies. When I was a child my neighbors had a collie, Duchess. There were 5 children in the family. Still Duchess also befriended me and my 3 sisters. She was really good about staying in her yard, but at dusk she would come to our house and check up on us.

I do not have any experience with shelties. I have always had a soft spot for collies becasue of my friend Duchess.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I could rant for a LONG time about the problems in the sheltie breed today... it is very important to find a breeder who breeds true to how they were 20-some years ago, before the popularity of the "apartment Lassie" exploded. If you're really serious about them, I'd look for a copy of the book "Sheltie Talk" - you'll have to get it used but it is a GREAT book. It's so strange to read it because you realize just how far a lot of shelties are from how they were, and especially how public perception has changed...

I think if he really loves collies, you should look at a collie. A sheltie, IMO, is closer to the temperament of a border collie than a rough collie (probably because BC was introduced into shelties 100-some years ago.)
That's not to say that they aren't great little dogs, because they are, but like a BC they are not the kind of dog for everybody out there. =3

bubbatd

I've known both and admire both . Many of my buyers either had had Shelties or went on to Shelties as they didn't feel they could replace their Golden .

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Shelties are a lot more my type of dog (energy level mainly).... both great breeds. The shelties are higher energy first and foremost most the time. Shelties imo are velcro only not. None of mine have been too overly affectionate or clingy, but rather in the same room with you just not right up next to you. They like to watch from a distance. They bond very close to their people but generally are not fond of strangers. A proper temperament is naturally wary of strangers but not shy. Many shelties are shy, however. They need to be socialized early and a lot. They tend to assume everyone is guilty until they're proven innocent as someone else explained and it explains them well. It takes time to get a sheltie to really bond with you. Shelties of course are very prone to the herding dog obsessiveness many herders get. Shelties are easy to train, but they do require a bit of motivation. They're very soft dogs usually and need a sensitive hand in training. I agree they are fun dogs, but definitely have a lot of reasons they're not for a lot of people. All of mine have been fantastic dogs.

Both breeds bark a lot, but shelties are probably one of the most notorious barkers and it's for good reason, I assure you!

Of course size is different too. :p

ETA: Btw, I find them to be pretty easy to adjust to the owner's activity level. they love exercise of course, but are really really lazy around the house the rest of the time. (At least mine have all been!) They're lower energy by far than the papillons.

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
I would suggest a collie over a sheltie anyday. I think there's quite a difference between the two breeds. Shelties are yippy and in my experience more prone to behavioral problems. Both collies and shelties are wary dogs.
I would never own a Sheltie or a Rough Collie, though.

ACooper

Wow! Thanks for all the quick replies :)

One more question if I may..............

I am used to (and normally prefer) short coat dogs. Obviously there will be more brushing/grooming involved in a Collie.

I would like to know HONESTLY how much bathing, brushing, trimming is involved. Don't sugar coat it.

Do they get a funky odor, say like a hound?

With Orson, he doesn't get a foul odor if he isn't bathed for several months (which is great) but Phoebe does get a funky dog smell if she isn't bathed at LEAST once a month. Here in N.Indiana during winter months I really don't like to bath them because the weather indoors is really dry even with the humidifier and it really has an affect on their coats. They eat good foods, and we use a nice oatmeal shampoo..........but drying in the winter still occurs and we have to be careful about it.

I know without doubt that I will be the one tending all the grooming needs........so I want to know in advance what to expect :D

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I think it's important to specify as far as the sheltie 'yippiness' goes. Your average sheltie will be a barker, it's well known and deserved. However, it's not like they bark nonstop all the time. Many will bark the entire time they're running, they like to bark at the doorbell, other dogs, other people, something small that is 'out of place' in their home, the ever infamous vacuum which to sheltie = something that should be herded away, etc..... Their vocalness isn't reserved to just barking either.... they can come up with some downright weird noises- clicking, honking, grunting, groaning, whining, howling, yodeling... Mine have all been pretty easy to control as far as stopping the barking in most instances.

There's also great qualities found in the breed. I think they are definitely a breed you HAVE to own before you can really really appreciate. The sheltie you meet as a stranger is going to be different than the dog is around his people simply because they tend to be so wary of strangers. That's not to say that they're terrible around strangers. A proper sheltie is very solid around strangers just not going to warm up to them quickly. They're great with kids provided the kids don't mind a heel nip every now and then. They're beautiful, very sweet and so unbelievably devoted. They are very loyal and there is no worry about wondering if your dog can differentiate between you and the person next to you (sometimes with the paps I wonder this because they are so happy to see everyone). They tend to be calm inside but will need a good amount of exercise/play. Very very smart dogs and very willing to please. Easily trained and athletic and are thus great sports dogs. They're pretty good with other animals too and most are great with other dogs. They're a great size too- big enough not to worry about but small enough to be very very portable. Mine have been from 18-35 lbs. One is undersized and my first was oversized! Oversized dogs happen a lot so if you want one on the larger end of the scale, it shouldn't be hard to find.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Wow! Thanks for all the quick replies :)

One more question if I may..............

I am used to (and normally prefer) short coat dogs. Obviously there will be more brushing/grooming involved in a Collie.

I would like to know HONESTLY how much bathing, brushing, trimming is involved. Don't sugar coat it.

Do they get a funky odor, say like a hound?

With Orson, he doesn't get a foul odor if he isn't bathed for several months (which is great) but Phoebe does get a funky dog smell if she isn't bathed at LEAST once a month. Here in N.Indiana during winter months I really don't like to bath them because the weather indoors is really dry even with the humidifier and it really has an affect on their coats. They eat good foods, and we use a nice oatmeal shampoo..........but drying in the winter still occurs and we have to be careful about it.

I know without doubt that I will be the one tending all the grooming needs........so I want to know in advance what to expect :D
Well, collies are bigger than shelties. What to expect with a rough collie or sheltie type coat is a good brushing several times a week ideally. I will say I'm not so good about grooming so I'm not a good example. I probably only brush once a week... During shedding season- twice a year- they blow their undercoat. This time you basically have to brush and rake daily. Trimming is minimal. All you have to trim is the hair on the feet. (The stuff that grows long between the pads) Other than that, they're very natural- no clipping needed.

Mine have never struck me as smelly that often.... But I bathe them once every 1-2 months. The other dogs have always had to be bathed more than the shelties. Warning though, they have a darn good weatherproof coat that is HARD to get completely wet. It takes a long time to get the water all the way through the coat and it takes a long time to get them dry. It's a very thick coat, a dense, downy undercoat with a coarse, longer outercoat. (At least that's the proper coat like Trey has. Nik had a very soft, dense coat all around. Trey was lower maintenance actually)

Acooper, The Collies(and Shelties) have very limited body odor...rarely will you smell them)

One of the things Collies are known for is the lack of any doggy smell.

Grooming wise, I do get them professionally groomed every few months. Depending on the groomer, it can get up there in price(Thankfully, the one that does the Collies is very reasonable, and does a great job).

I do brush daily, but many brush every other day...or even once a week. I would recommend at least checking the ears, armpits, and their behind once daily for any matts. In my experience, they try to matt the worse going from puppy coat to adult coat...however, simply running a brush through it during this time should stop it.

They do require more time and effort, but are not hard dogs to maintain. They shed dirt out of their coat very easily(very, very naturally clean dogs).

xpaeanx

I usually brush Bailey every other day. and his hair does seem to get tangled fairly easily... I also bring him to a groomer once a month. There's not a whole heck of a lot of trimming to be done, just the feet. They also shed ALOT. however, I find the hair to be very easy to clean up. It's fluffy so it stays ontop of things, and while that may make your house look messy faster, all it takes is a quick vacumming(or sweeping) to get rid of. Keeda has the short lab coat, that proves to be much more difficult for me to clean.

The other thing is, if you don't want the hair issues I would recommend a smooth coat collie. They are MUCH lower matienance then a rough in terms of grooming...

Bailey also doesn't smell at all. And Since I'm not showing him, I have the groomer keep him with a short coat, and that makes it much easier to brush....

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I usually brush Bailey every other day. and his hair does seem to get tangled fairly easily... I also bring him to a groomer once a month. There's not a whole heck of a lot of trimming to be done, just the feet. They also shed ALOT. however, I find the hair to be very easy to clean up. It's fluffy so it stays ontop of things, and while that may make your house look messy faster, all it takes is a quick vacumming(or sweeping) to get rid of. Keeda has the short lab coat, that proves to be much more difficult for me to clean.
Yes, you get tumbleweeds of hair, lol! But to me it's much easier than a short haired double coat that sheds. We've had a GSD and a lab before and those were much much worse as far as the shedding is concerned.

ACooper

GREAT! Thanks guys!

Yes, I prefer the short/single coats like Orson.........big problem with that is he needs his jacket on in bad weather to go outside even for short periods AND if the house falls below 70 degrees he shivers like a little Chi, LOL

I think if Kevin gets his Collie, it will have to be rough and not smooth. Nothing against the smooth but I do believe his childhood dog was rough and that is more the vision in his head.

The work doesn't sound as bad as all that, so I believe it could be doable :)

Thank you everyone for your help and honesty, it's much appreciated.

Grooming-wise, Mal is a TON more work than Kaylee. Mal sheds some, all the time- like a GSD or a corgi. That short double coat is a PITA. :p

Kaylee, OTOH, catches her own shedding in her hair and I can comb it all out once a week. Takes about 15-20 minutes. I *do* have to detangle her and remove burs after runs in the big field where there's lots of them. Coat texture is genetic, and proper coat texture is important. Cottony coats are a PITA.

Even if he has a rough in mind? Meet some smooths. The different look takes a bit to get used to, but it really grows on you. I may be adding another smooth to the family this fall. :)

xpaeanx

really? because everything I've read about smooth coats(I dont' own one) says that they are much easier to care for grooming wise. And that's in terms of lighter shedding and much less brushing.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well, I've had double coated short haired dogs before and they're a pain! Not too much brushing wise but you get hair everywhere. I guess it's just a personal preference.... hair interwoven in the carpet or hair in tumbleweeds all over your house?

Members online

No members online now.