Why people may not want to live with a JRT

Dekka

Just try me..
I got thinking after talking to people. I take these things as 'normal' but I guess they are not. (not all JRTs do these things, but they can)

Dekka was in an ex pen at regionals. With a metal lid, 3 metal clasps to each side. The door was clasped shut with 3 metal clasps. That should hold an 11 inch JRT? Noooo

I came back to be told by Lynn (AdoJRTs) that Dekka got loose and ran like a mad dog trying to find me. (I have witnessed this, she runs full tilt till she finds me, avoiding capture by dodging people and ignoring all food, and ignoring all dogs etc) When she made a loop back near the trailers Lynn called her, and as Dekka had not found me she ran to Lynn, who booked it to the trailer. They then put her in a wire crate and clipped it and cable tied it close. She was still in there when I got back. She had broken one of the metal clasps holding the door closed on the expen (she knows how to open the latches, which is why it was clipped)

Also the other day I went to leave for work. Dekka met me as I was pulling out. She had opened her wire crate, opened the wooden door, opened the screen door and scaled the 4 foot fence, all in less than a min.

Kaiden goes through screens. Dekka might too, but as all screens are closed when we are not in the house (that means if I want to go to the barn for 5 min, either Kaiden is crated, with me, or I have to close all the windows). I forgot that the upstairs windows were open, left Kaiden and Dekka loose and went to go teach agility. Then I see Kaiden and Dekka running around on the roof. (Very scary I was worried Dekka would jump!)

Kaiden has learned that plastic wrapped item often contain food. I wish I could have seen the look on his face when he ripped open a box of individually wrapped panty liners looking for food. He does not do this EVER if a human is present, only when left alone.

Kaiden can counter surf, he may only be 13 inches tall but he is built on springs. He can also open any garbage can, the lack of thumbs is no obstacle.

Snip kills cats, and any other small animal that is unfortunate enough to be near him and not flee fast enough. Agility is what you do while you wait for squirrells to appear. He broke his leather collar lunging while waiting for his turn at racing at the last JRT funday.

I look on with envy all the people with large athletic dogs who stay in expens or any dog in a soft sided crate, I admire houses with dogs in them but with windows open. ......so I totally get it when people say they don't want JRTs, but man my life would be so boring without them.

Last edited:
hahahaha i can so relate!!! Not the exact type of stories but the same type of "what? you mean my dog figuring out impossible feats ISN'T normal???" stories with the Huskies LOL

bcmoffatt

totally normal
:yikes::yikes::yikes:

They break metal clips, and leather collars??!

Running around on the roof??!?!?

Wow, my pooches are EASY!!!

LMAO! Sounds about right . . . . Tallulah would be a lot worse if it weren't for Kharma and Bimmer riding herd on her :D

As it is, when I leave and tell Kharma and Bimmer to keep her out of trouble they both give me the most woebegone looks, although I think that secretly, Kharma likes being in charge rather than me telling Bimmer to keep HER out of trouble.

Maybe you need a Fila to ride herd on your JRTs ;)

Or an Aussie. I had a blind Aussie who made it nigh-unto-impossible for my sister's JRT to step out of line . . . talk about a frustrated Terrier, lol. Everytime Braec started to get into something, O'Reilly would hear him and herd him into a corner.

maple

Queen of the Jungle
LOL!! . . . and people's jaws drop when they hear I have *two* Big Dogs.
Size isn't a very good predictor of energy level, thats for sure. :D

milos_mommy

lmao...the roof is one Milo hasn't managed (yet). But if these guys want out, not much is going to hold them in.

Milo pulled the screws out of the vent cover in my parents room (with his teeth, of course) to try and get through the wall. Fortunately he wasn't dumb enough to jump down into the vent.

A

Angel Chicken

Reminds me of the time Kona broke out of her crate.

She broke out, went out to the car (that had a window open), now lemme remind ya, she is only 12" tall... she jumped right into that car, and didn't even scratch the paint.

Boemy

Dogs on the ROOF! :yikes:

I couldn't handle owning a JRT . . . but I love hearing about them. :D

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
LOL! They sound like a hoot. But I dunno. I'm still not sure if a JRT is any worse than a catahoula.

milos_mommy

Milo kept pulling all the garbage out of my bedroom garbage can. It was one of those open plastic short things...i really just threw papers and plastic from cds and movies and whatever in there, so it wasn't a huge deal, but it was annoying.

So i go and buy a can with a sturdy lid.
takes about three seconds for him to open that.

So i go and buy a child latch at wal-mart and put it on there. I thought that would keep him out of it. bahahahahaha.

The moral of the story is: My JRT is smarter than your toddler.

adojrts

:D Petie will stay in a soft sided crate and a uncovered x-pen as well, but I put the cover on it 'just in case' (he jumped out once to chase a squirrel) and to provide extra shade.
Petie can and does squeeze through 3 1/2 inch gap in a fence.
Bobbi can bounce a 6 ft fence like it's 2 ft. I was foolish enough once to install under ground fencing......yeah like that worked. Petie quickly learned that if he layed down in the warning zone that he could wear down the batteries on his collar then happily cross the line.........the others learned that one too by example.
Although I have never had a dog on the roof, I have had a dog 15 ft up a cedar tree after a bird (he couldn't get higher because the branches were too close together).
My first litter of jrt pups (Petie and Bobbi's), dug a hole in their puppy pen, 2 ft down, 2 ft across and 2 ft up again to escape...........all 5 of them worked as a team (I watched, I was amazed).....they were 5 wks old!!!!
I watched that same litter, dig another hole almost straight down for over 2 ft and they started bring up decayed FLESH, turns out a coon had been buried a couple of years before. Again they were right around 5-6 wks old.

Jrts are not for the faint of heart and one has to have a huge sense of humor.........either that or they would drive you nuts.

Sounds like one of your dogs can get into more trouble then my pack of 12! lol (And one of them is a JRT mix!)

I did have a dachshund/Poodle mix (Emily) who could climb a fence any height, she could climb trees even! It was hard to contain her in a yard!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Ok, Virgo could go for a couple round with the JRT's, but after that she would have to bow out. She's yet to make it on to a roof.

Members online

No members online now.