Awesome GSD, poor old man! *pic*

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I went to the shelter today and there was a puppy on the list of dogs to bathe. Well, it was on the list as requested by the new owner and was due to be spayed tomorrow. I saw the puppy and this lab puppy, as cute and adorable and well mannered as she was, was VERY shiny and looked very clean! It looked like this dog had been given a bath recently so I decided to look around instead.

There was this old GSD, 10 yrs, that was just laying in his kennel not watching the people at all. He looked so depressed! :( And I don't blame him, no one was stopping to look at him. He was nasty! Shedding a lot, looked as if no one had ever brushed him, had nasty stuff (don't know what it could've been!) in his fur everywhere, just smelled really bad! and the scars he had didn't help :(

He had a scar around his nose, looked like someone put a rubber band around his muzzle, or a string or something, and left it there!! He also had a big sore around his neck where, at least what it looked like as I can't know for sure but I'd bet my butt on it, it looked like it was once and collar too tight and left or something else around his neck. It looked the width of a chain and at the right spot too.

Anyways, this guy was such a good boy!!! I must say, GSD's do make me a bit more wary then other types of dogs as my personal experience has shown them to be a bit more "sensative" to touch and motion and more likley to react to things they didn't like. So I was watching this guy, as he was older and I thought wouldn't take too much before telling me off lol

But he was such a good, and very tolerant, guy!! He let me brush him and then bath him with no problems at all!! he didn't even get too stressed in the bath! He wasn't tensed at all he just let it all happen as long as I pet him! In the begining he was soo depressed, he just walked around and sniffed everything and ran and crouched anytime I moved too fast!

By the end of it, he would run TO ME anytime I walked away! And then lean in for some pets!!! He was such a good dog! I felt horrible leaving him in the kennel again *sigh* that's the hardest part for me! Especially dogs like him that don't get a lot of attentions.

Here is a pic, after the bath when he's still a little damp, of the big sweety :)

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Me too. What a beautiful boy. German Shepherds always tug at my heartstrings because I used to have two beautiful big lovin' GSDs. Ahhh people. They make me SO mad - who would do that to an animal? I mean, they are high maintenance as puppies - boisterous and don't know their own strength, but what puppy isn't hard work? What kind of a monster would have banded that poor dog's mouth shut? And so often or for such a prolonged period that he got a scar from it? :mad: :mad: :mad:

I would have that boy in a flash. And a black one, too - just my fave kind.

I'd adopt that dog, but I've already got a high energy adoption and I'm kind of stuck in North Africa for a while.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
What a doll! I hope he finds a wonderful home for his last years...do you think your roomie, the one that lost Sarge, would be willing to take him?

Debi

OMG...look at that scar around his nose! I can't believe the things some evil people do. he is a beautiful boy. I feel soooooo sad for him.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
that's exactly the kind of dog i'd adopt.
Hopefully there are people here looking for a dog that think like you!

Me too. What a beautiful boy. German Shepherds always tug at my heartstrings because I used to have two beautiful big lovin' GSDs. Ahhh people. They make me SO mad - who would do that to an animal? I mean, they are high maintenance as puppies - boisterous and don't know their own strength, but what puppy isn't hard work? What kind of a monster would have banded that poor dog's mouth shut? And so often or for such a prolonged period that he got a scar from it?

I would have that boy in a flash. And a black one, too - just my fave kind.
I know! Whoever did this to him is truly evil!

Oh what a sweet boy! Look what they did to his nose, may they BURN!
I totally Agree!

I'd adopt that dog, but I've already got a high energy adoption and I'm kind of stuck in North Africa for a while.
That's ok, glad you adopted your dog!! :) That's really great of you to do!

What a doll! I hope he finds a wonderful home for his last years...do you think your roomie, the one that lost Sarge, would be willing to take him?
No, she has Pog now And Pog is having issues with Lucas right now :( My other roomate, I'm not completly sure she even SHOULD have a dog!

Poor baby... makes me so sad. You are so great to help there. I don't think my heart could stand it.
Thank you.....sometimes my heart can't stand it either. But I go anyways, I guess I'd rather be a little more depressed or sad as long as it helps some of the dogs at the shelter.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww !!!!!!
Awwwww he seems like such a sweetheart!!
He is :)

OMG...look at that scar around his nose! I can't believe the things some evil people do. he is a beautiful boy. I feel soooooo sad for him.
He also has a very large area around his neck (about the width of a choke chain, maybe a bit larger) that is now healing :( Poor guy!

DanL

poor old guy, I hope someone who understands his breed can give him a happy home.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
What a beautiful handsome boy. I feel awful for him. He's in my thoughts and I am hoping hoping hoping for him to get adopted quickly. Is it a no kill shelter?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
poor old guy, I hope someone who understands his breed can give him a happy home.
Me to, that's what I thought too, about someone who understands the GSD. Though from what I saw he was a lot quieter and less needy then most GSD's I've known.

Adoption, one of the best ways to go about it. Nothing else gives you such variety.
True true.

Any Shepherd rescues around that can help in case he doesn't get adopted before his time runs out?
I don't know, I know there are a few old dog rescues, I'm going to ask our rescue person to see if she has him on her list. She has done it before for me :)

What a beautiful handsome boy. I feel awful for him. He's in my thoughts and I am hoping hoping hoping for him to get adopted quickly. Is it a no kill shelter?
It is a kill shelter, though their hopes are to have it a no kill shelter by 2010 and it seems their plans are going just on schedule for dogs. There have been a LOT fewer space euthinasia's.

Wish it were closer. I'd take him to my parents. They would be a perfect match for him.
I wish our shelter adopted out of state, without it being a rescue I mean.

Members online

No members online now.