Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Not enough. With Panzer I mainly was focusing on manners and not trick training or the like. Right now he just knows sit, down and targets with his nose, and other small things that go with living in my household, and he walks beautifully on a leash. and is just such a darn great puppy. I don't plan on doing anything crazy with him like trailing, mainly because there is really no trainers or training centers here, unless I wanted to do agility, and well Panzer is really not built for agility haha, I might do it for fun one day though.

I do plan on getting him temperament tested and maybe CGC since he is a breeding prospect. The Boerboel world is kinnda weird dogs are not really titled per-say and I believe the breeding dogs need to be temperament tested before they are bred.

I think I would group socializing with training. We do tons and tons of socializing. So much lol.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 10-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Wow, you're either all super dedicated or have super tons of time!!!! Several times a day...?! I'm in work!

We do informal training daily (in other words, there's always an opportunity to play games/ask for sits/ask for polite indoor behaviours).

I train in fits and spurts... I get a few sessions in over a few days, then we don't do anything for ages. Then I pick up where I left off. I physically don't have time to do a steady and regular session, as I prefer to spend my free time out walking with them. Now the nights are getting dark, I imagine I will do some more indoor training bits, usually silly tricks.

We stopped going to classes recently, but are starting again in 2 weeks OMG! Hurry up!!! That will be weekly

And I might add, I only really train Fred. Bodhi is a great house dog, and great outside. We do trick sessions, but she goes at 100mph and can't focus on what I ask her so I keep them really short and I don't find it as fun (poor bodhi lol). Fred is slower (sometimes to the point of OMG hurry up) but he seems to think things through more instead of having a brain melt.

Sometimes I go WEEEEEKS without doing anything at all!

Also I have the attention span of a gnat, and never finish anything.... That and I often feel uninspired as to what to work towards. I think I need the training.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 10-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Bored Now.

I'm going to be the odd one out who doesn't do any training with their dog and posts about it. Because I know I'm not the only one.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Top Dog

Suppose I should answer my own question.

I work the girls 2-3 times per day, generally a different sport/item each time. Whichever dog comes to work with me gets to train disc (toss & fetch) before work and then a disc/trick/obedience session during lunch. Both girls get worked that night, mostly agility or trick training now that it's getting darker earlier. If I teach, both get obedience before class and agility afterwards.

So really, each sport gets touched on around 5 times a week with each dog. Disc will dwindle off after our last comp in 2 weeks, agility will pick up more and because I'm super crazy, I've started mondio training with Zinga too.

I'm pretty lucky with my girls, neither gets burnt out with too much training. Zinga loses her mind a little bit with too much crate time between sessions, but she's fine if we just do crate games (ie impulse control, she stays in the crate with the door open while I work Zuma) instead of me actually shutting the crate.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
I'm going to be the odd one out who doesn't do any training with their dog and posts about it. Because I know I'm not the only one.
Lol yep. Some days I'll make Gwen sit on furniture and jump over my homemade living room obstacle course. That's maybe twice a month. We're not in any classes. Other than playing fetch we don't do much.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 10-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Vizsla mom

With Penny, it's touch and go. I aim for at least once a day. Sometimes twice but she gets overwhelmed and runs away a lot ..today, we did about 10 30 second mini sessions while running Briar in between. Briar would train all day, every day. It's insane how much work ethic that dog has.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Mainstreme Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Wow, you're either all super dedicated or have super tons of time!!!! Several times a day...?! I'm in work!
Haha I work pretty much ten hours today. I did a short session with the each of the girls before I left this morning, we'll do another when I get home and then at least one more before bed.

Cara in particular has been working for all of her meals, she hasn't eaten out of a bowl in around two and a half three weeks. Lol Adele gets shorter/less sessions a day because she will reach a point where enough is enough and I try not to get her there. Cara would happily train most of the day.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 10-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
A few times a day for short intervals, it adds up. Mornings before I go to work, as soon as I get home at dinnertime, mid-evening, then right before bed we usually play some more. Even if it's just five minutes at a time (evening sessions are usually more like 10 minutes), that's 20 minutes.

Used to get a lunchtime session in too but my lunches are shorter now so I usually don't get anything squeezed in at lunch.

It's easier for me to do it in five or ten minute chunks throughout the day than try to find a solid hour at a time and do nothing but dog training!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-14-2013, 03:31 PM
Top Dog

Logan gets worked probably 5-6 times a week, sometimes he gets worked every day. Sometimes it's just class or a trip to the store, other days he's out for several hours or most of the day. But it's enough to keep him in good form. Lately his guide work has been getting a bit sloppy, so I'm working on tuning that up whenever we're out. I'm trying to add a couple new tasks, but I don't train them nearly as consistently as I'd like. I worked on picking up items with him for 3 or 4 days in a row, and then all he really needed was some fine tuning. So, when we go to Walmart and there's stuff all over the floor, I just make him pick it all up for practice lol. My ultimate goal with this is for him to stop and pick up things I drop without me telling him to, since I tend to drop items and not notice until it's too late. Last week I dropped my keys on the way in to Target, and only realized it when I tried to dig them out as we walked out. I found them lying 3 feet from my car Amazingly, after an hour in the store, both my car and my keys were still there

With Gavroche, it's mostly maintaining where he's at. He's at a place that's just really comfortable. He knows how to behave at home and in controlled environments away from home (though not TOO much or he gets overstimulated). He's retired from everything except lure coursing, and coursing doesn't require any training. So mostly it's cute tricks when I'm bored, and a trip to Petsmart maybe once a month, and coursing once a year. When I teach Logan something, I do teach Gavroche as well. Gavroche LOVES closing doors, so I work on that all the time because it's fun. But overall, maybe 5 minutes her and there a few times a week.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Top Dog

Every day we do at least one little training session-- even if it's just working for dinner. It just ranges between 3 minutes to an hour. It's really weather, work and baseball dependent :P

Now that I have my very own agility yard, we do that when I get home from work, if it's not dark already, until it gets dark. Unless I need a nap or dinner first. Then Crossbone stands and whines at me while I nap or we walk to dinner with bonehead where he learns how to be dinner date dog.

Then come inside & if there's a baseball game on we'll learn a new trick. No baseball we just quickly practice old tricks.

If the weather sucks & there's no baseball on, we might not do any formal training stuff.