Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Top Dog

I'm cheating because I have a Schutzhund field in my backyard But we probably go out for obedience multiple times per day and tracking/protection 4-5 times a week. It's not really something that we typically crunch for when a trial is coming up, but we train for trial prep with every session basically.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Puppy Dog

Every day twice a day (few minutes each time) if possible. Create a simple plan and try to stick to it.

By doing it so, things don't drag things out and overall you will likely use less effort and time versus having spotty training here and there.

Cheers!
Old 10-14-2013, 12:09 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

With Payton, about a half-hour to an hour every day average. Right now we're working on specific things as it relates to agility. After the trial we'll switch back to more general stuff and probably get to more tricks again.

Auggie and Pepper get probably about a half-hour every day, but it's life stuff, not "this is a training session!" Payton gets that stuff too, so I suppose P actually gets an hour to an hour and a half every day.

Georgie I leave most of the training to my mom. I work with her maybe two or three hours every week (not counting the time I stand back and teach my mom how to train her.) I mostly work with her just on agility skills, though I also like to do a lot of play so she gets some of those life skills whenever I'm playing with her, or when I'm telling her to sit while I'm trying to pee and she wants to jump on my lap...

All of this, except working with Georgie, is broken up in short sessions throughout the day. Georgie usually gets a more class-like working schedule. I like to take her and Payton out together and then alternate between them so they only get worked for a few minutes at a time, then get a break for a few minutes, then switch again.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-14-2013, 12:11 PM
& the Muttly Crew

A lot of our training is hard to separate from daily life. Self control, releasing by name, directed go outs to the correct foodbowl, fitpaws/body awareness/stretching, just playing slily games and choosing to be around one another, etc. Stuff that I don't even really consider training, but which does translate directly or indirectly to competition or basic life behaviors.

In terms of actually setting up some sort of scenario with a learning goal in mind? Varies. A lot. And it's not uniform between dogs, either. Sometimes they each get as many as three, four, even five sessions in a day if I'm working something specific. Other days all we'll do is silly play and running. Sometimes several days in a row. About a month ago we spent a whole week just swimming every day and doing almost nothing useful at all, haha.

Usually it's somewhere between those two extremes.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 10-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Top Dog

It varies a lot based on my schedule. Some weeks we just do our one class, which is two hours.

This week, we're going to rally/obedience class tonight (which is two hours), Tuesday we're going for a hike and we'll train after for probably 15 minutes (heeling patterns, most likely). Wednesday we might do 5 minutes of nosework practice. Thursday we're doing nothing. Friday we will probably go to the park and do 15-30 minutes of rally/obedience practice. Saturday we're going to a nosework class; that's 3 hours (although Elsie only works for maybe a half an hour total). Sunday we'll probably do nothing.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm All Ears

Saturday Mia and I did an hour before I realized how long we had been training. We were playing ball for part of it though.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Top Dog

It depends. I tend to be lazy and taper off training in favor of just having fun, but then I get into it again. We do two hour long classes a week typically - nosework, plus a fun obedience/rally type class. This winter we'll drop the obedience and try agility for a bit. I'm typically training for the full obedience class, working on focus and remaining calm, because that's our huge issue.

If I'm working on a specific trick or new behavior, I'll throw in a few 5-10 min sessions a week. I like to get in some nosework practice once a week, but don't always find time for it. Walks involve the most training and we'll work on focus, some heeling, ignoring other dogs, and other life-skills. Sometimes I'll do recalls and choose-to-heel stuff in our field on the way to or from the walk.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Mainstreme Elitist

We do a bunch of small sessions throughout the day. I have no idea how much it all adds up to though.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 10-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Twin 2

Not including the lulls I sometimes get into where pretty much I just don't train for awhile. I typically get in a training session for about 5 minutes two to three times a day but at least once.

I've been pretty much just focusing on disc lately because we have one last comp coming up I feel very unprepared for but when I don't have that looming I tend to do once or twice a day working on known behaviors for 5 or so minutes each and at least once a day working on new behaviors.

I feel like my training is very much dictated by my whims and the weather. Sometimes I get into a mood where everything in the world is going to be shaped. All tricks will be trained and then we're doing so many short sessions throughout the day.

Other times it's self control work I've decided I need to work on and nothing other than that gets worked on.

Then during the winter I do a lot of smaller trick training inside because outside is gross and in the summer I get less into training training and more just biking, hiking and swimming.

So I guess I fluctuate a lot.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
How much time do you spend, per week, actively training your dog with a goal in mind?

If you have multiple sports, do you practice each sport every week or only train those when you have something coming up?
Robin: flyball 2-3 sessions per week, agility 2-3 sessions per week, we're also taking an obedience class.

Limit: depends on what we're working on, how stressed he is. Usually 1-3x a week on whatever he is currently finding fun (tricks/obedience/flyball stuff/agility etc).

Eden: learns the weaves when I rent the field ETA: she already has all the other equipment and such that she needs to know and she despises drills so I usually just play with Eden with no structure and work on weaves when it's convenient.

Kastle: he trains every single day, at least once, usually twice. We're getting ready for IPO I (which is a three phase sport and therefore takes a lot of time) and in the morning we either track or do ob. In the afternoon we either do obedience outside for ball or in the basement for food (working on moving stand right now with food). On the weekend we train all three phases Sat and Sun.