Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Top Dog

Default How much time?

Hello all! It's been a while since I've participated more than a brief comment here or there. Mostly because it's been insane this summer and I can barely manage to keep things going in real life, much less all my internet communities!

Random question for the day: How much time do you spend, per week, actively training your dog with a goal in mind? It doesn't have to be for a specific sport, but maybe you just want your dog to bring the ball actually back to your hand, so you are training while you throw the ball. Maybe you are training to get a new title in whatever sport, or you have a big comp coming up.

If you have multiple sports, do you practice each sport every week or only train those when you have something coming up?

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 10-14-2013, 11:26 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Not as frequently as I should.

I'll *maybe* do an actual training session (15-20 minutes, I guess) once or twice a week. Maybe.

I do reinforce a lot of behaviors throughout the day. For example, before feeding he has to hold various forms of a stay command (down stay, sit stay, stay out of sight, etc., etc.) Every time we go out to potty we typically practice recall. Whenever we play fetch we sit, down, etc. before I throw it.

But actual training sessions...not frequently.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Top Dog

At least once a day. I could do more, I just get lazy and don't.

I've been better about working on the household/environmental skills I want. She's pretty reliable about "wait" at this point (especially involving doorways), because I make a point of practicing it every day.

But I only do one "training session" a day usually. DO MORE TRAINING!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 10-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
At least once a day. I could do more, I just get lazy and don't.

I've been better about working on the household/environmental skills I want. She's pretty reliable about "wait" at this point (especially involving doorways), because I make a point of practicing it every day.

But I only do one "training session" a day usually. DO MORE TRAINING!
Pretty sure that beats most people out there!

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 10-14-2013, 11:48 AM
Top Dog

We try for 2x a day, before work and after work. With LoLa she gets a session whenever, maybe 2-3x a week.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Pretty sure that beats most people out there!
I/we also have different expectations than most people out there.

How often do I work Siri these days? Not enough... I worked her last night and that didn't go well at all. (I swear terriers never get adult teeth. I can usually not react to the spaniels sharking food from me, not those little terrier teeth apparently.)
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 10-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Now that I am down to one job...a LOT more than I was! When I was working 2 jobs I really didn't train at all. Maybe one 3 minute session a week.

Now I train at least 2-3, 3 minute sessions a day when we are hanging around the house (I've been setting a timer so that every 45 minutes of studying, I work with the dogs as a break), sometimes more. Now that I have more days off Siri and I have been hiking/going to the park to work at least 4 days a week. And those can range from a quick 20 minutes to 3 hour hikes.

When we are hiking/at the park it is more relaxed integrated training. I will ask for Siri to do little things like practicing crosses with cones, targeting, coming to my side, downs, sits, waits, etc before I throw the ball at the park. On hikes it is probably only 15% of the hike that I am actually asking her to work.

With her I practice disc much much much more after a playdate. I lose steam on disc when I am practicing by myself week after week. Playdates totally re-energize me to the sport. Most of the stuff I do right now with Siri is practicing basics and agility foundation work.

Frodo gets a 3ish minute session whenever Siri does, and we generally work on basic obedience/rally type stuff and he is learning the lower impact foundations along with Siri for agility As it gets cooler he will also start going back to the park for runs on a long line where I'm sure we will do more recall work and fun things.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I should also say that I am kind of a crappy trainer, so what takes efficient trainers one or two sessions, takes me like 4-5 sessions to muddle through

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm All Ears

Depends on the week.

Some weeks we only do our classes and then the rest of the week is just playing and hiking (though on hikes I always do some sort of training and usually nosework as well).

Most weeks I'd say 15-30 minutes 5 times a week or so. Not counting like little sessions of working on impulse control with Mia while playing ball.

I tend to focus on things I like... so our weaves get neglected in favor of things like teaching Mia to pick up objects and put them in baskets and working on getting her to stand in smaller and smaller boxes.

Nosework itself happens at least 2-3 times a week just because it's easy and the dogs love it.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:05 PM
such sights to show you

Not as much as I'd like. Squash goes to a rally/advanced obedience (alternate weekly) and to a nosework class once a week each (ideally, sometimes my schedule doesn't allow for rally) but I don't practice as much as I should at home. For awhile I was doing a lot of trick training but I've slacked off on that. Usually these days around the house training breaks out as a result of cabin fever/poor weather/ poor work schedule preventing walks and other exercise.

During the summer mushing is on a hiatus. Now that it's cool/fall training, I try to go at least 3x/week. Maybe someday we'll be picture perfect, but for now pretty much every run is a training run, lol, so I'm counting it.