Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Top Dog

It sounds like your living arrangements are secure. No reason you would ever have to rent....personally I never have and never plan to. If I were you, I would do it.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Everyone's opinions so far have been great, I really like hearing the different insights and experiences you all have.

This I think is my biggest worry when I think 10 years down the line.

But, that being said, I don't want to wait five years to fill my cuddle dog hole. I don't want to wait five years to add the dog that's going to be my lower key dog. I like the spacing better but that's a long time with an absence of something I very much love.

I didn't expect to have such an issue not having a less intense, larger cuddle bug of a dog that's willing to do stuff still but Kaylee being where she's at has really given me a taste of how much I don't like being without it.

Most of you guys are pretty much saying most of what I've been thinking. I just feel like I'm going to regret not jumping on this if I don't.
I think that answers your question

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
In my experience renting with two dogs under 60ish or so lbs is fairly easy to find. Not as easy as with a 30 lb or less dog but very doable. 3 dogs makes things a lot harder in my experience. I've only seen one place around here that allows 3 animals. And most the private landlords don't allow pets period. There is a huge renters market now and landlords can be picky. I was very lucky to find a pet friendly house with a yard. And the only reason I did was because the landlord was a family friend.
I don't mean to be...dismissive? and I was serious when I said real reasons and different points of views, but it's really not something I'm worrying about much. I've been looking on and off for years at places to keep an idea about price/dog friendliness etc. and while finding a place won't be the easiest thing, from what I can tell it'll be doable. I'm not on a time constraint and if ever I was again, supportive family who could watch a lower key greyhound for awhile (especially since it's a breed my mom is hoping to get for herself one day).

And the breeder, well I like her a lot, I really like the dog she's breeding, the dog is a great mix of blood and has everything I was looking for, the fact that the breeder is a big proponent of late and alternative altering is huge, I had a hard time finding a breeder I liked, a real hard time. It feels right?

ETA: And yes, I'm realizing how slanted my posts are right now I think that's telling me what direction I'm leaning.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:50 PM
I'm All Ears

When I was looking both at getting Summer and Mia I posted on here and had quite a few tell me why I shouldn't. Ultimately I knew it was something I'd be fine with overcoming so got the dogs anyways. Only you will know if its rigt and if you are ok with the possible downsides. By all intents and purposes Mia was an impulse buy and probably not the smartest move but I wouldn't trade it at all.

Last edited by Laurelin; 08-19-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Top Dog

I always forget how supportive your family is with this sort of thing. I know we talked before about my issues with adding a third dog in my own household and how difficult it would've been without Tim for support. I always forget that you have that support in your household too, which is awesome. I never would've had that living with my parents.

I want to snuggle this beast when you get him. And pictures, lots of pictures.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Big Dog

By your pros and cons, I would say you all ready decided...but I say go for it, though I am known to be a bad influence.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Active Pup

As a Greyhound person I would love to know which breeder you are wanting a pup from. I had given some suggestions to a Chaz member several months back and she said she would pass them on to you so I was curious if it was one of my suggestions.

I think that you have already made up your mind.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I just wanted to comment on the age difference thing.

All four of my dogs are 2 years apart. Ozzy is 7, Enzo is 5, Indy is 3 and Jones is about to be one.

You really have to factor in breed life expectancy, and I was fairly certain grey's live a long time, so it's a possibility that they'll all end up old together, which can definitely be hard.

With my guys, it's hard to tell. Going by Ozzy's breeds and general hardiness, I would be comfortable saying he could make it to his late teens barring any unforeseen accidents or things like cancer. Going strictly by Enzo's breed, she may make it to mid teens. She may make it later simply because of keeping her fit and active. Indy, I'm fairly certain barring cancer will make it to mid teens, and Jones as well. But that gives me a two year gap in between each dog being "really really old"

Of course, they could all "senior" near the same time, but I feel comfortable with a two year gap enough that it doesn't bother me too much.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Twin 2

So after all my leaning and being pretty sure I decided I'm going to pass on a puppy right now.

I don't like the rush to a decision feeling I'm getting. I don't like the idea of regretting it.

My plan is to let the year settle, get the job squared away, deal with Kaylee being gone and start looking for a different breeder and looking for a puppy in a year or a little less, spring/summer/fall maybe. I would rather it be a planned hunt than a "Decide and quickly"

This is the point where all you sighthound/greyhound people reading this need to pm me breeder ideas pretty please!

So thanks all you guys for your thoughts!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:00 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
So after all my leaning and being pretty sure I decided I'm going to pass on a puppy right now.

I don't like the rush to a decision feeling I'm getting. I don't like the idea of regretting it.

My plan is to let the year settle, get the job squared away, deal with Kaylee being gone and start looking for a different breeder and looking for a puppy in a year or a little less, spring/summer/fall maybe. I would rather it be a planned hunt than a "Decide and quickly"

This is the point where all you sighthound/greyhound people reading this need to pm me breeder ideas pretty please!

So thanks all you guys for your thoughts!
You know Linds, I was late to the party and didn't get to add my .02 cents but based on your posts I think you are making the best decision. Another opportunity for a great puppy from a good breeder will come along, and it's definitely best to take your time and not be rushed into such a big decision.

These past two years my family had a HANDFUL of pets die (a dog, a cat, and two parrots) all from age related problems except the cat, and it was a tough year. Hard on the heart, but also terrible on the wallet. Aging pets cost so much in diagnostics and treatment and palliative care... Now that we are left with just a couple young animals, it really opened my eyes to how difficult it can be having pets that enter their senior years at the same time. After the last few years I will be much, much more careful about spacing out ages in the animals I acquire. Our one parrot cost us about $1200 at the end of the day in diagnostics and palliative, and Tucker ended up costing around $5000 in diagnostics, treatment and palliative care. There was nothing more we could do for them, but after that experience the idea of not being able to help one aging animal because of lack of funds after paying for the other animals terrifies me. I can't imagine how heartbreaking that would be, and it's a position I never want to put myself in.

Anyway, I think you are making a smart decision to wait and I know that at the end of the day, you will be that much more excited about bringing home a greyhound puppy when you know it is the right time

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.