Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

I also think you should go for this puppy.

This puppy will not be nearly as intense as your merle monsters

All the greyhounds I have ever met were sweet and low key, even as puppies and younger dogs.

As for your worries juggling time and needs with three young dogs...I think that you will just fall into it and adjust as needed. I remember how you worried about adjusting to having Didgie and Traveler before she arrived. Look how fantastic that turned out...

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I'm not saying what you should or shouldn't do, but if it were me I'd snap up a puppy from this breeder. None of the cons are insurmountable obstacles for a dog owner like you, IMO. And the winter puppy thing isn't really all that bad, or at least it's not as bad as it seems like it would be.
I should also add I do regret not taking a pup from a previous litter. People said the right pup will come along when you're ready but I'm not sure I buy it. If its an ideal breeding jump on it.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:07 PM
& the Muttly Crew

On the other hand I brought home Mira knowing it was sooner than ideal but simply unable to pass up the litter and her. And I have never for a second regretted it, even with the tradeoffs of three similarly aged active dogs, even with all our moves, even knowing the future is going to have its rough patches. I knew then and I know now that she is perfect for me and exactly what I was and am looking for, and which I may never have again. And that absolute certainty can carry you through just about anything.

If you know...if you're prepared (or prepared enough )...then really the decision's made and you just need to figure out a name

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 08-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Show Dog

The gap between Pig and Badger is only 2 years. Sometimes that worries me, sometimes it doesnít. I have never had multiple dogs close together in age, so Iíve never had to deal with losing them one right after the other. Maybe my thought process will change if/when I ever experience that, but right now Iím not going to put off getting the right young dog/puppy because I currently have young dogs (hypothetically, I have no intentions of adding another dog right now). I also loving having a dog who is still very much in a puppy mindset as far as playing goes. Watching Pig and Badger play is pretty much the best thing ever.

Iím of the mind set that thinks a low key, mellower dog compliments speed freak crack monkeys very well. So I would say go for it. Especially since it sounds like you would be having some level of help from your sister. Also, going from training Pig to training Badger has been such an unbelievably fun/challenging learning experience, so I think the training pro could carry a lot of weight.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Top Dog

If you like the breeder and it's the last litter,from the bitch,you like,then,go for it cos if you dont,you might regret it.
2 yr is,for me,the perfect space in bet. dogs!.
The older dog is trained enough,to help you,with the new pup but young enough,to enjoy each-other.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm All Ears

I do think spacing depends on what you are going to do with that dog. Adding a pet dog is IMO easy. Looking at trialling 3 dogs is a lot more financial and time drain. And again how many dogs you want long term? If three is your max then it may be a long long time before you are able to add another.

We have lost three dogs in one year's time and it is rough. That probably colors my opinion some. We did not really think about that much when getting our dogs so close in age. I do think its something to keep in mind and prepare for though.

There have been a lot of dogs I really like that I could make work if I wanted to but now that I'm actually getting closer to getting a dog there are still great options. Maybe even better.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I have a grown up question...

Do you live at home, and do you intend to move any time in the foreseeable future?

Because 3 not small dogs plus the wish to add a 4th is a lot to consider as a first time home owner or renter.

Just thinking down the line.

If you already have your own place, then disregard!! But it's all too easy to be comfy somewhere then realise you have to move on in a few months or years even.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-19-2013, 02:46 PM
Top Dog

I think that if you feel that this is kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity, and you can afford to take on another puppy not only financially but time wise as well, you should go for it. Especially because your family is on board, and when Kaylee passes, having a puppy around might help all of you.

With that said, raising three young dogs can certainly be trying. There is only an 8 month difference between Dance and Keira (luckily Dance was born acting older and wiser than she is), and only 18 months between Keira and Ripley. There were times that I felt overwhelmed and wondered what we got ourselves into, especially in regard to the Dobermans who were (and still can be) very needy in all aspects. I am much prefering the 4 year age gap between my youngest adult (Ripley) and Journey now. All of my adults are still active enough to play with her and put up with her antics, but they're all also much more level headed and don't require as much from me and are just much more relaxed in general. Raising three very young dogs at once was certainly doable, but I don't think I'd jump to do it again unless there was a certain situation where I felt I just had to have a certain puppy even if it was sooner than I really plan to (not for another 4-5 years at least). Like if a breeder whose dogs I really like might be retiring soon.

Also, I am sure you have already put thought into this. But as somebody else pointed out, seriously think about what your future living situation might be like. It's hard to find a place to live with dogs, but especially large dogs, and especially more than two. And honestly, even two is difficult unless they are two tiny dogs. I've been having trouble just casually looking for somewhere that would allow my two (and possibly Keira), who are quiet, clean and not very big in the grand scheme of things, and I've yet to have had any luck.

And also, are you absolutely sure you want four medium to large dogs in a few years if you plan to add another Koolie? And two to three high energy ones at that? I know some people love it, but it can be a lot of work, depending on the dogs involved/work hours/life situations. Just one more thing to think about. I am currently in an unforeseen living situation that is making me not really enjoy having four dogs, and I likely would not have added a fourth had I known this was where I'd be living. But I didn't know, and I'm making it work and most of the time it's just fine, but sometimes certain situations can make four dogs seem like so much more than three. Although you are right in that an adult Greyhound really shouldn't be nearly as energy consuming as Koolies, so breed certainly can make a difference here.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 08-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Twin 2

Everyone's opinions so far have been great, I really like hearing the different insights and experiences you all have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
-- Having three young dogs is fun. Having three middle-ish dogs is fun but worrisome. Having three old dogs...well I'm not there yet but you've witnessed my puppy dilemmas over the last year, mostly due to that very issue. And with the grey hound as the youngest of your three with the lowest life expectancy, you've looking at a really rough couple of years down the line.
This I think is my biggest worry when I think 10 years down the line.

But, that being said, I don't want to wait five years to fill my cuddle dog hole. I don't want to wait five years to add the dog that's going to be my lower key dog. I like the spacing better but that's a long time with an absence of something I very much love.

I didn't expect to have such an issue not having a less intense, larger cuddle bug of a dog that's willing to do stuff still but Kaylee being where she's at has really given me a taste of how much I don't like being without it.

Most of you guys are pretty much saying most of what I've been thinking. I just feel like I'm going to regret not jumping on this if I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I have a grown up question...

Do you live at home, and do you intend to move any time in the foreseeable future?

Because 3 not small dogs plus the wish to add a 4th is a lot to consider as a first time home owner or renter.

Just thinking down the line.

If you already have your own place, then disregard!! But it's all too easy to be comfy somewhere then realise you have to move on in a few months or years even.
Yes I do, which is valid. But, that being said I live in a very supportive home. I'm moving into the basement (as cliche as that is) that is pretty much a house to itself with outdoor access.

If I get this job it's going to be a stepping stone, but it's a drop in pay from what I was making as a pharmacy technician. My family being awesome want me to be able to try to work towards that, understand that this is needed to start making connections and are more than willing to let me continue living here until something is figured out and I'm making enough. Probably helps I do all the up keep, yard work and house cleaning

It's something I've considered but to be honest, with the Koolies I've already made it hard to rent anywhere. I'm going to be stuck looking for a place that's dog friendly and I don't think a greyhound is going to make or break that.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm All Ears

In my experience renting with two dogs under 60ish or so lbs is fairly easy to find. Not as easy as with a 30 lb or less dog but very doable. 3 dogs makes things a lot harder in my experience. I've only seen one place around here that allows 3 animals. And most the private landlords don't allow pets period. There is a huge renters market now and landlords can be picky. I was very lucky to find a pet friendly house with a yard. And the only reason I did was because the landlord was a family friend.

What is it about this greyhound breeder and line that you don't think you could find in another breeder down the road?

I've gone four years without a herder and I miss it like you wouldn't believe. But... I survived and will hopefully have the dog of my dreams in a year and a half or so. 5 years really isnt too long in the grand scheme of things. Renting has been the big issue and saving for a house. Growing up sucks sometimes. Lol.

Not saying don't do it but the other side of the coin.