Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Top Dog

Default Portable Crate

If Smiley stays, I really want to get a more portable crate because one I have now is a huge wire one that is a pain to move anywhere, takes up SO much space and does not fit in the car. I don't have my own car, so I borrow my parent's car when I do need to drive somewhere, so having one house crate and another in the car is not an option...plus, crates are expensive!

So, I am looking for a portable crate that will fit in the backseat of a sedan.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

I'm finding it difficult to find soft sided crates that are big enough for him.
He's about 20 tall and 22 long.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Top Dog

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I have. It's decent. It's held up okay and I like the side zip door as well as the front zip door. Love the color too
Old 08-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Top Dog

I have one from BigLots that tends to collapse when the dogs move. It sort of sucks.

I had one from Target that was basically like a tent, you had to put poles together. No folding, just disassembling.

My favorite portable crate right now is Logan's gym crate. It's a pop-up one from Target, and it fold up to fit in my gym bag. I LOVE it. Of course it's not sturdy, it's really just a formality, so it depends on how your dog is in the crate. I had the same type of crate for Tango for a while, but he quickly learned how to make it move - both at home and in the car!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Top Dog

I have a Noz2Noz for Meg, which isn't cheap but is incredibly well made for a soft crate. Having said that - it pretty much doesn't get used anymore. I noticed that when it was set up next to Gusto's wire crate (he is NOT to be trusted in a soft crate), she was always running to get in his crate. I think the ventilation is so much better maybe? I'm not sure. But I wound up getting her another wire crate (iCrates, I think?) and she seems so happy with it.

If you were looking for soft though, I recommend the Noz2Noz very highly. Meg's got dragged all over the place for agility trials, indoors and out, and had stuff piled all over it, and still is solid probably five years later.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Sport Model Pug

Lots of people in the agility club here get the soft crates from Costco, you should be able to find them online and they'll ship them to your nearest store for free. They're very well made.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 08-14-2013, 08:49 PM
such sights to show you

I like my Noz2Noz.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Top Dog

Soft crates aren't meant to be used in vehicles. How about a Vari Kennel or something similar?
http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cfm...e/Vari_Kennels
Old 08-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'll check to see if they have any at Costco to see what they feel like. I never thought to look there!

The Noz2Noz sounds great, more than I wanted to spend, but if it's held up 5 years, it sounds worth it.

I might end up getting a Vari kennel, but the size we tried at the store was just a bit on the small side, and the next size up was quite a bit larger. I'll keep looking though.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:58 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
...The Noz2Noz sounds great, more than I wanted to spend, but if it's held up 5 years, it sounds worth it...
I love our N2N. They can be a little stiff setting up the first couple of times. Mine "broke in" kind of quickly, tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
...I might end up getting a Vari kennel, but the size we tried at the store was just a bit on the small side, and the next size up was quite a bit larger. I'll keep looking though.
I had the same problem with our VK with Mick. The 400 was a smidge too small for him, but the 500 was way too big. I opted for the 400 because there was less room for him to bounce around if we had an accident.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Top Dog

well, I ended up buying a Kong brand plastic crate. The dimensions were just what I was looking for, and it fits in the car, and I think it will be better for Smiley in the long run. He would probably scratch and chew through a soft crate.

Thanks for all the suggestions!