The dog musing/vent thread

JacksonsMom

exactly. There's a vet clinic next to my work that I know a few people that work there. I'm going to have them fax his blood work results to my work so I can take them over there and have them look at them... I'm also going to get the SNAP test done. It's so unlike him to have a suppressed appetite too. He LOVES food. He will work for plain kibble that's how much he loves it and I usually have to float his food to slow him down. Him refusing food tells me something absolutely is not ok and I need to figure out what it is.

eta: he went from eating 3 cups a day to me being lucky if he eats 1 cup most of the time
Ugh, that sucks. I'm sorry. :(

Jackson had an eye issue last year, he had all this goop coming out of his eye, and it was really pink. I ended up taking him to vet and paying over $200. They did that black light eye test, to check for scratches, and a glucoma test. Both came back fine, so she said it was just some kind of an eye infection. Once I started those antibiotic drops, it was cleared up within a few days tho. His appetite was not affected and he was acting normal tho.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Amber, I'm so sorry for all the worry and stress about Joey. I hope you figure out what's going on soon, and he's feeling better ASAP!

crazedACD

I love my puppy. I love my puppy. I love my puppy.

:p

Do we just forget all the puppy antics our adult dogs went through as puppies? Geesh. I don't remember this with other puppies :p.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Feist and I will be so happy when she is done teething. Even so, she's the best, coolest puppy ever. And is an awesome snuggler.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I love that my crazy insane dog is also so so so sweet and affectionate. I just sat looking at her and petting her as she stood on her hind legs and draped her body over my outstretched legs. It didn't last long because she had stuff to do, but I love that about her as well. I hit the jackpot with this pound puppy. <3

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I JUST ENTERED CRUFTS!!!!!!!!!

I've only ever done like 4 shows and now I'm taking Fred to crufts to compete against the best of the best LOL

Hahahahahaha :rofl1:

Traveler's new Firefly collar came yesterday and I love it. Wish I could have put it on Kaylee but Firefly Koolies is my kennel name so all works out well.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Jealous. Brooks doesn't sit still long enough to snuggle :(
Yeah, Wesley wasn't really big on cuddles when he was a puppy, and even now it is very much on his terms. Feist, on the other hand, slept sort of perched on my head and shoulders through an entire movie yesterday. :rofl1:

Grab

Yeah, Wesley wasn't really big on cuddles when he was a puppy, and even now it is very much on his terms. Feist, on the other hand, slept sort of perched on my head and shoulders through an entire movie yesterday. :rofl1:
He likes attention and lovins, but there is so.much.to.see!:rolleyes:

Grab

Goose is going to be so happy. One of the treats in her SS box were a specific type of Natural Balance treat. She thinks they are the best thing ever invented. Ever. We ran out and her sadness was great. She'll certainly eat and enjoy other treats, but not with the same joy, lol.

So, I thought I'd just run out and buy some. I did not know how many Natural Balance treats there are:eek: Shelves of Natural Balance brand treats, but none were the ones I was looking for. I was resigned to ordering online (I'm lazy..this is a lot of work:p) but then discovered that I can order them at work. Joys!

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Lol you are better to your dogs then I am xD, I just give mine milkbones ... Unless I am training, then I use freeze dried liver or some other super smelly thing ... But if I am feeling cheap, Oscar Meyer hot dogs also are a hit when training :)

Grab

Generally I don't have treats on hand...I never think to buy them. But, Goose is so damned cute when she likes something

I am also planning to use her love of the treats to teach her to sit up like a teddy bear:p

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
My dogs are amazing and my dog friends are amazing. <3 Seriously though today was a complete blast and though I may be crazy for scheduling training classes from 9 am to 1:00 pm we had so much fun doing tricks, agility, and nosework. The next 5 weeks should be FUN.

And plus my classes include every single person from my original agility class, some of whom I haven't seen in forever (summer was stoked), my old trainer was there too. Quite a few new people and then some people I've met a few times or trialed with or taken classes in the past with. So it's great.

I'm excited. Now we are off to the park. My dogs should sleep forever after today, haha.

Today's park trip was....eventful.

I went to the off-leash hours for the first time and Astro was having a blast, except for when I recalled him to me and a Corgi came busting out of nowhere and started aggressively herding him around, keeping him away from me, etc. Astro is very tolerant, and just went wherever the little thing pushed him with a worried look on his face, but I was sort of miffed that the Corgi's owner didn't recall her dog away so mine could get to me...it was very obviously a herding-dog-being-jerky-with-the-herding-thing moment that should've been redirected; Astro wasn't having fun but he couldn't get around the little sucker, and he's a gentle soul, he never corrects anydog for anything. She finally came up and got her dog, Astro came flying over to me, all was well.

Then I met someone who had this big, red dog and I was thinking "that looks like a Tosa, but it can't be, right?" I ask what he is and yep, he's a Tosa. I'm thinking, I know there are exceptions, and I don't know a TON about Tosas, but...should a giant fighting breed really be off-leash with a bunch of other dogs running around, especially when his recall seemed to be 50/50? Well, fortunately the park is huge (it's not a thunderdome-style dog park, it's a big park that has off-leash hours in the morning), so I was able to keep Astro out of the dog's berth just in case.

Then, when I was just thinking "he seems fine with other dogs," the Tosa ran up to a leashed pitbull walking politely with his owner and attacked him! :yikes: It was a brawl between two legitimately huge, powerful dogs - something I've never witnessed before - and the Tosa's owner grabbed him and pinned him on the ground, hard-stared into his eyes, told him to NEVER do that again, etc.

On the plus side, I met a lady with a Malinois puppy that Astro ADORED. He and Astro raced around like mad puppies, and they were roughly the same size and speed and just "got" each other instantaneously in their play style, so maybe I can work out playdates with those two. I feel bad, a big group of people invited me to do a "pack walk" with them every weekend during the off-leash hours, but the Tosa is part of that group...yeah.

Toller_08

Just found out that a sister and a brother of Keira and Ripley were both recently diagnosed with DCM. I'm not really sure what to think. I'm not surprised. I had a feeling this day was going to come eventually, based on health history of other relatives. But at the same time, as much as I'm not surprised, it's still a little bit of a shock. So far oddly the older litter (the one Keira's from) isn't affected (yet), so I guess that's good. These two dogs with DCM are both Ripley's litter mates; 4 1/2 years old. But it was a repeat litter, so while I'd like to hope these are the only two dogs that will be affected, I don't think that's realistic. So yeah... kind of surreal a little bit. I guess whatever happens happens. I just wasn't expecting to hear that tonight. I feel so bad for their people.

And Dance is off to a bad start this year too. She's having some super severe food allergies, and whatever doesn't cause her skin to break open and get infected just causes major digestive upset instead. Ugh. And she keeps trying to eat fabric which is probably going to cause an obstruction, and it's impossible to keep her away from all fabric ever, as hard as I try. And I'm pretty sure she's doing it because her stomach hurts, and I don't know how to help her or what to do. I am just at a loss with her. I love her to death for her goofy, happy, adorable little self... but I am so frustrated with the health and temperament issues I've had with her since day one. I don't talk about it very much, because it's just been kind of a normal way of life with her. But it just never ends. It's been almost 7 years of this stuff. :-(

Last edited:

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Took Joey back to the vet for a SNAP test. Tested negative on all accounts.

He does seem to be a little better today. His eye looks better and he actually ate his dinner. But now he will not stop whining when I'm trying to sleep. I let him sleep in my bed the past few nights because I felt bad as wanted to snuggle him. Bad idea I'm now regretting because now he doesn't want to sleep in his crate and has been whining the past two hours.

I should add I have to be up at 3 for work.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I leaned forward just slightly to grab something from the table, Talon apparently thought I wanted a back stall and came running and tried to jump on my back. Unfortunately I wasn't expecting it and I wasn't forward enough so he went up, hit my back, and fell on his side hard on the floor! :yikes: Scared me so much. He just got up like it didn't happen, but he was lifting his front left paw. He only lifted it for a few seconds so I'm hoping it was shock from the fall. I pushed and pulled all over his leg and he didn't bat an eyelash at all, but he's so stoic I don't really know. He is walking fine on it now, and I think I might do crate rest tomorrow just in case and see how he is than.

Argh, sometimes I wish he wasn't so ridiculously self destructive and stoic.

Members online

No members online now.