Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Not a Border Collie

We regularly see wolves and coyotes on our property. Late night potty breaks really do suck - especially when you can hear howling or yipping in the tree lines. We're surrounded!

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 06-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Top Dog

Last fall, when we were in NV, I was outside at about 3am with the dogs, waiting for my husband to get home. Suddenly my dogs froze, and sat up straight, staring at something. There was a mountain lion about 20 feet away from us across the road, looking right at us. It stopped, gave us a "go to hell" look, then walked off into the desert. I couldn't get inside fast enough.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 06-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
Last fall, when we were in NV, I was outside at about 3am with the dogs, waiting for my husband to get home. Suddenly my dogs froze, and sat up straight, staring at something. There was a mountain lion about 20 feet away from us across the road, looking right at us. It stopped, gave us a "go to hell" look, then walked off into the desert. I couldn't get inside fast enough.
OMG I would've crapped my pants... LOL...

We do have some coyotes around. I've never seen one on our property, but I know they've been spotted close-by. Yikes!

Going to the hardware store today to get a super super flash light for now haha.

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Little dog, big voice

I live right in the middle of town, and I still hate night-time potty trips. Cali's last trip is usually at 11, although sometimes if I stay up super late and if she isn't up sleeping with my mom, I will take her out again. I always tell her to make it quick and my eyes nervously dart around everywhere, I used to hide behind a tree until we removed the lower branches.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Ha You guys!

Since growing up on a farm I have become pretty accustomed to wild animals, they really don't bother me anymore. Late night pee breaks don't bother me anymore, probably helps that the dogs tear through the door like hell is on their heels and they scare whatever is out in the trees. ha ha

What I find scarier is hiking up the mountains and there is bears and cougars everywhere, now that is scary lol

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 06-28-2013, 05:34 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Night time potty breaks never really bothered me - until June bugs come out. Then you're out in the yard hanging out in the light and these giant beetles fly at your face. Now that I've moved and I'm by woods, it is mosquitoes attacking me. Itchy and ouchy and gross.

Hearing animals never really bothered me...but it isn't so much fun when you are stalked by a cat and they pop out and attack you, then dart away again. LOL That's scared me a few times.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 06-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Top Dog

I don't mind the potty breaks so much but sometimes I do get creeped out when I go to feed the horses at night (on the property but their corral is off in the woods), particularly when I KNOW there are bears or cougars around. We have both come through our property pretty regularly, and in the fall there frequently bears in the fruit trees...and I have to walk right under them to get to the horses!

So I like to bring all the dogs with me. Both my big boys have chased off many many bears and they can always tell if they're around, so I just trust in their senses.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

I'm the same way! I'm happy Nola sounds like she's 40lbs and not 9lbs when she barks, that's for sure! I live next to some dog aggressive dogs and a BYB-er, not to mention it's a busy road with lots of creepy people walking on it. I'm glad I have a fenced yard, but still.

The Watchmen "Pike"
Blue merle Miniature American Shepherd puppy

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 06-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Turn the lights out before you go out. Also sit in a dark room to let your eyes adjust before you go out. That's what helped me get over the night scaries.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I've seen foxes and owls around here though and they kinda spook me too!
I'm okay with foxes and owls, we have those regularly here. But when I had Tango...good god, every shadow from a bird had my panicking lol. He's small enough he could have easily been taken by even a small raptor or fox. That actually played a large role in me not keeping him.