Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Duuuuude.

Default Best harness/collar/etc for a BAD puller?

Rowan pulls on a leash. Like, horribly so. I don't even generally take him places he has to be on a leash because of it, other than a quick trip to the pet store here and there. He seems to pull not to get to any particular object/goal, but just to pull... it's incredibly frustrating and I've been trying to train a nice loose leash walk for years now and it's just not making much of an impact.

So, I'm curious what you guys think are the best management tools for this situation. He has a Gentle Leader that we use infrequently at best. I see all kinds of things customers use for their dogs at work, from Easy Walk harnesses to Starmark training collars to prongs. Any ideas on what might work for him?

This is basically the one area where Riff outshines Rowan... he's so good on a leash!

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 06-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Top Dog

Freedom no-pull. Hudson can get.......let's go with 'a little excited' when we go somewhere new and there are lots of people. Clip the leash to the front and he can't pull

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 06-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Blossom is a freakish puller when excited. Tried several things but she pulled through every but a well-fitted pinch collar. That is generally my preference for strong pullers, though I have had success with head halters and front clip harnesses as well.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:45 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I've always used a prong on dogs that love to pull and are two strong for me to handle if they are pulling (aka, most of the Pittie's of dog sat/fostered). Never had an issue with a prong!

Old 06-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Top Dog

My super strong husky mix pulled right through a (properly fitted) prong. Never phased her a bit after the initial time or two...plus it exacerbated her reactivity. I used a leash wrap on her and it worked wonderfully but if I had her now I would go with a no pull harness. I tried a halti on her but she wiggled out of them.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Top Dog

How does he do on the gentle leader?

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Blossom is a freakish puller when excited. Tried several things but she pulled through every but a well-fitted pinch collar. That is generally my preference for strong pullers, though I have had success with head halters and front clip harnesses as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I've always used a prong on dogs that love to pull and are two strong for me to handle if they are pulling (aka, most of the Pittie's of dog sat/fostered). Never had an issue with a prong!
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
My super strong husky mix pulled right through a (properly fitted) prong. Never phased her a bit after the initial time or two...plus it exacerbated her reactivity. I used a leash wrap on her and it worked wonderfully but if I had her now I would go with a no pull harness. I tried a halti on her but she wiggled out of them.
Something to consider with the pinch. They can hype a dog up depending on how they handle pain/correction...
Old 06-26-2013, 05:57 PM
such sights to show you

X-Back and scooter!!

(Someday someone is going to take me up on this.)

Old 06-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
X-Back and scooter!!

(Someday someone is going to take me up on this.)
Hey! True story - Blossom was so effing miserable on lead, like really, could not stop spinning, squealing, and looking for squirrels/other prey. I hooked her to my belt and a harness one day and started playing Cani-cross (including pairing the commands with various actions) and she was like a new dog. Bitch just needs a JOB. LOL

I only stopped because my belt cut into my waist and the cani-cross specific ones are like $50 waaaaaaaaaah.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Top Dog

I have had really, really good luck with the easy walk. I gave it to my inlaws whose puppy is an insane puller, and just picked up a sensation harness off amazon that I tried today for the first time. It's amazing how immediately the pulling stops.