Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-26-2013, 03:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
ALeron- I could tell a horror story about taking a coyote for a blood draw that would probably make you feel way better about Roust.
LOL do tell!

Our "simple" rabies shot ended up with urine and anal gland all over the exam room (I got peed on too and I think the vet and tech did as well). Also a muzzled 50lb dog thrashing, spinning and sliding around, knocking things off the table and likely bruising the vet's leg attempts to get free. While the tech was watching like
Old 06-26-2013, 04:21 PM
Top Dog

Thank God that Gambits various oriffices lock shut when he's stressed. Well, except for the one in front, as you shall see.

This story starts with a packed waiting room, as all humiliating stories do. Ever notice that the dog is never as bad when its just you and the vet? A tech appears to take Gambit to theback. I warn her that he will not walk for her and will need to be carried. She scoops him up, and he immediatly stiffens and jerks his front legs at angles. It looked like he was about to dance the 'walk like an egyption'. He also starts to whine. At this point a few people are shooting me sideways looks, but no one says anything. About 20 seconds of silence.

Then it begins. Oh, god, does it begin. The screams coming out of the back room could not have been loder if his leg had been caught in a bear trap. Now people are definitly staring, and I know that they were wondering just what I did to Gambit to #$%$ him up so badly.

The tech returns to see if I can come back and soothe him. I get to the back and he's sitting there on the table screaming at full volume. No one is touching him. No one ks even close to him. But he's not shutting up. I try, but he's not calming down, so we just stick him as quickly as possible and I pick him back up. By the way, he didn't seem to notice the actual stick at all.

Gambit is latched on to me, paws hooked over my shoulders and hind legs clinging to my waist. This, naturally, puts his mouth right at my ear so he can scream right into it. Those who have heard a coyote shriek know exactly what I'm talking about.

So we do the walk/carry of shame back through the lobby, where no one is even pretending to be reading the magazines anymore, and are probablyx rethinking using this vet. I call to thereceptionist that I'm putting him in the car and will be back to pay. For some strange reason, she looks relieved to hear this.

I toss him in the car and go back inside, tring to avoid eye contact with other customers. Then I look out the window. Gambit has crammed himself onto the dashboard and ks still screaming. Of course, I can't hear him now, so all I see is his mouth gaping open and closed.

The wailing continues right until I start the engine, at which point he shuts up, starts wagging his tail, and lays his head on my thigh as if to say 'ok Mom, you're back and the world makes sense again. Are we till going to McDonalds for out post vet treat?'

Yes, I took him for a treat. In his defense, he did much better the next year.

But at ,east I wasn't sprayed with pee, so there are small things to be grateful for

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.

Last edited by StillandSilent; 06-26-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: hit post too soon
Old 06-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

She's pretty good in all honesty. She'll walk right into the office (but I usually carry here, as I want to make sure we don't run into any dogs), sit quietly at my feet or on my lap while we wait, is fine with most of the exam (except getting her temp taken), and will hold a sit/stay at my side while I pay and get any necessary meds.

The Watchmen "Pike"
Blue merle Miniature American Shepherd puppy

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 06-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Top Dog

She's bad. Terrified might be the better word.

They wrote a giant "WATCH" on her page.

Either my brother has to carry all 55 pounds of her fuzzy butt into the vet or I have to use both a leash on a collar and a leash on a harness to drag her in the door. She usually tries to jump onto the waiting bench with us and tries to crawl under the bench or into my lap during exams. She's never growled or bitten (in the exam room) that I know of though. I think she's better in the back when I'm not there, but they still muzzle her for shots and such. We usually give her her happy pills before we go. This makes it easier to get her in the door, but she's still not a happy camper.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 06-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Top Dog

Hudson has been to the vet a grand total of twice (and then once more for a weigh in). He thinks the vet is pretty fun. They pet him, give him yummy things to lick and then pet him some more!

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 06-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

Kastle, Eden, Poppy, Limit, Snitch, Steele, Aikon, and Pan are all wonderful at the vet. Eden and Poppy are so patient since blood draws are usually a multiple-stab affair (cankles, they're problematic). Pan and Steele are ridiculously affectionate and beg to be pet. Snitch acts the same there as everywhere else (crazy). Limit is a little shy but warms up quickly and really enjoys being pet.

Aikon used to squeal and squirm and act like he was dying when he got his boosters but he's seemed to outgrow that (drama-king shepherds).

Robin is a holy terror. They take him to the back, muzzle him, and then 4 techs hold him down while they give boosters and draw blood. He nips, flails, and in general tries to escape.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Top Dog

Do you think starting early on with making the vet a 'yay' thing would help a dog or is just mostly personality?

Because I always say with my next dog, I will start taking them as a pup and the first visit maybe just do nothing but get a treat etc. Or at least start out that way. And then maybe do a few pop in's here and there to get pup used to vet and making it a positive experience.

I always think Jackson's fear started because the very first vet I took him to I did not much like. He was 12 weeks old and had no idea where we going or what we were doing so was fine initially, but the vet was somewhat rough and quickly gave him a vaccine and I remember him screaming when he got the shot and just thought he was being a baby (but he's never yelped at any other vaccine after that), and then he ended up having a horrible reaction to lepto shot (like I thought he was gonna die), so I had to rush him back and they just quickly took him from my arms and brought him in the back, etc... so the first experience was definitely not a positive one, I guess ever since then he's been this way...

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
Do you think starting early on with making the vet a 'yay' thing would help a dog or is just mostly personality?
I think it's personality...some can be modified with training. But the gut fear I see on Robin's face is so deep, I KNOW training wasn't going to solve it...and we did the "treats, this is a FUN place" thing when he was younger. In fact, he runs in, is great at the desk, is lovely to everyone, until they try to restrain or poke him...no treating that away.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:22 PM
such sights to show you

I think it's kind of a combination. Some dogs are just going to be shy or scared at the vet no matter what, but certainly a bad experience or experiences can affect them. Although honestly I find a LOT of dogs who have a history of being scared/"bad" at the vet are completely fine if you just approach them the right way with good "dog manners" and other simple accommodations.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:27 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Everyone but Kimma thinks it's great. Food, pets, more food... We usually try to get appointments at the end of the night and they let my guys have free roam of the office - it has been SUPER awesome with Jari and Teemu when he was here, as they both love that place now

Kimma is polite, just not happy. She is also SUPER squirmy and it takes a lot to get things like a blood draw out of her. She's getting better with age, but she's never growled or attempted to bite anyone, so I'm not terribly concerned. She DOES love showing off her tricks and getting lots of food, though

Honestly whenever another dog has to go in, I take Kimma along with me. The vet/vet techs know us and will give her lots of treats and such just for being there, and she's pretty well-behaved in general so I don't have to worry about that. I do believe that has helped her to become a bit more comfortable there.

Loistava's Jari - 17 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)