Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-26-2013, 09:57 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Auggie has been left for 3 days. That was many years ago. Since he is retired now he might get left behind when I go somewhere that is strict on the "no unentered dogs" rule. He will get to go stay at Gramma's for the weekend.

Payton, never for a full day. I was in Chicago shopping one day and was gone for about 16 hours, but I fed him in the morning and fed him at night, so I don't think it counts, haha.

Ignoring Pepper's times not living with me, she was left behind when I took Auggie to a long agility trial once, for two full days without me. She will probably get left behind more in the future... she's not exactly suited for travel like the boys are.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Top Dog

Lola is 2 and a 1/2 and I have never left her. Not even one night.

Judge has been left in his whole life about a month total. He is almost 6. He stays at home and my parents care for him or he does to his breeders.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:02 AM
love herds

I have never been away from Radar for more than a night. Although I am thinking about going on a short vacation this fall in which case he gets to stay at home with my sister, it will bother me far more than him. My parents would also watch him, my only fear there is they would never give him back
When I was 6 my parents took me to Disney World and I spent the entire drive there (8 hours) crying because we couldn't take my GSD Midnight with us.

"A dog of uncanny brain and great loving loyal heart and with a dancing sense of fun, a dog with a soul."- Albert Payson Terhune (lad)
Old 06-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Little dog, big voice

We've left Moses for about a week when we've gone for family vacations. He used to go to boarding facilities, where they gave daily walks, etc... but eventually just hired someone to spend a few hours at the house with him and take him to the bathroom/for walks/etc. Now that my parents are divorced, my dad is usually able to take him on for a few days.

The longest Cali has gone is one weekend, when we went to a Justin Bieber concert. I could never even imagine hiring a pet sitter or taking her to a boarding facility, so we got my dad to take her for the weekend. His girlfriend was there so she got a lot of attention and when we picked her up, she was happy as ever, much to my relief.

I really don't like leaving Cali for any longer than a night though... but I'll have to next year when I go to university.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:14 AM
such sights to show you

We aren't apart from them often. We usually vacation with one or more dogs and/or one of us will take a short weekend vacation while the other stays home with the dogs and/or I spend a week somewhere and bring one or more dogs and my husband joins me later in the week with the remaining dog(s).

I think the longest dog-free vacation we took together was maybe... 7-8 days? And we've done that only once that I can think of off the top of my head since we've had Squash.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:18 AM
<----Thanks Allie

Muffin: 2 weeks was the longest, but he was getting left with my friends almost every weekend for 2 nights or so for a while. He's so easy and they love him, so they would actually call me to tell me I needed to go somewhere so they could watch him. Now they watch these two crazy doxies mon-fri every week and get paid... They don't ask anymore. LOL.

Walsh: I think 2 nights once and then maybe 2 other times as an overnight only. I absolutely was not going to leave him in a kennel at all, and he was a little too much for most people. So he usually just went everywhere I went.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Top Dog

10 days I think for all of my adult dogs. Somewhere around there.

Dance has only been left once and I wondered about her constantly, but she was perfectly fine and seemed to have a really good time. Now that I did it once, I'd have no problem leaving her again with the right person.

I never worry about the Dobermans. I think about them, but I know what they're like where they stay and know they're being taken care of, so I don't worry at all. They get left at their breeder's house at least twice a year it seems, be it for long weekends or 10 day holidays.

Journey's never been left yet and I worry just thinking about it haha. And she's my most easy going dog. She gets to sleep over at a friend's house for two nights this weekend while I'm away at a Flyball tournament and I hope she behaves herself and takes to it ok. I have seperation anxiety from her I think haha. Partly probably just because she's a puppy and I've never left her anywhere yet.

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN
Old 06-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Behavior Nerd

Maggie ended up staying with my parents for 6 WEEKS while I was at an internship after sophomore year of college. My housing didn't allow dogs and I was out of the apartment for a full work day plus a 1hr+ commute, so it was the best option.

With the current dogs, I've been totally dog-free for about a week while attended conferences a couple times, but the dogs were home with DH the whole time.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:29 PM
orange iguanas.

3 days? That was 2 years ago when my sister was getting married and had tons of activities planned, so we stayed at a hotel to minimize driving. Pretty sure that's actually the only time we have ever left the dogs.

Juno was young and hyper so she got boarded, and then my friend stayed at the house with Lucy.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 06-26-2013, 01:35 PM
~Lisa~

16days last month when I was traveling Europe with a friend. The dogs stayed with my fiancee. Other then that a week or so almost every year for beach vacations. And they stay with my mom. Weekend get aways involve camping or cottages and family and friends force us to bring them because they love them so it works out