Can you leave your dog out loose while you are gone?

Toller_08

Why is that? I don't mean to pick but I have never seen a dog with a confident temperament pick up bad things from being around less confident dogs. I do think it may help less confident dogs to be around more confident ones but more or less my dogs are what their temperament is. Mia's aversion/fear of people doesn't seem to rub off on Summer's love of people nor the other way around.
Just for now, because Journey's going through a weird stage where I've noticed she has been looking at Dance for what to do and that's the last thing I need. She snaps back out of it and is like "oh, well that was silly, that's nothing to be worried about" but she's had little moments where if Dance barks and skitters away, Journ will too. Just in the last little bit. Once she's older/out of whatever this stage is, I likely won't worry about it as much, but I find that IME puppies do tend to pick up on the non-desirable behaviours of other dogs and I just don't want to chance it. If she was an adult then I wouldn't be concerned about it - the Dobes aren't influenced by Dance at all anymore, but they too were when they were younger a bit. I dunno, she'd probably be fine, but as much as I love Dance, she's the last dog I want influencing other dogs so I just don't give her the opportunity, especially if I'm not around.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
All of mine except the puppy are fine for short periods. Any one of them alone (again, except for the puppy) could be fine for probably 8 hours or more. Pen and Bubbles are intact, so obviously they need crates/other barriers between them when she goes in to season. Pen is also a RGer and while I haven't had any issues in a LONG time, I still would rather not take a chance.

As it is now, Kimma is left alone out of her crate pretty much all day now (her SA is actually worse when she's in the crate). Pen or Bubbles and her are left if I leave for a few hours, maybe all three if it's for a shorter period. We will have to see with Jari as he grows up.

Shakou

lol No to both of them, unless they are in a secure fenced yard. They are fine off leash when we are home, but left to their own devices, they will wander off.

k9krazee

Crossbone is SOOOOO good all day that we're gone, whether it's 5, 8, 10 or 12 hours. He's confined to one room but he doesn't get into ANYTHING. If we come home and leave again for whatever reason, whether it's 10 minutes or three hours, he'll destroy something. Usually the couch cushions.

We do leave him loose in the entire (750 sq ft) house sometimes, and he's always been good. Unless, of course, we come home and leave again shortly after. ;)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
No.
Not because I think he will get into anything but because the idea of him being free roaming my studio will make my mind wander to what he COULD do.

and that would drive me crazy.

I left him out for a few hours while I went shopping and the thought of
"....OH GOD I LEFT A WINDOW OPEN A LITTLE WHAT IF HE HOPS ON MY DESK, OPENS iT THE REST OF THE WAY AND JUMPS OUT?!?!"
actually crossed my mind

Just thought this would be an interesting tally.

Summer: yes

Mia: no.

I've lost hope that Mia will ever be able to be out without supervision.
I can't even think of leaving my pet alone like that. They way he stares at me when i move away from him is the thing i won't ever forget and that's why cant even think of leaving him. Maybe in worst case i would arrange some pet sitter who i know personally to take care of him.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Artimis is 100% trustable. He has no problems with chewing, peeing/pooing inside, getting into things or any of those.

Talon, sometimes. He's so far been trustable for up to 4 hours out of his crate, but we leave him in the room with the door closed just so he doesn't bark at noises outside and annoy our neighbors. We are going to slowly increase the time little by little. If there was food out, or he could get into the garbage he definitely would though! I don't know if he'll ever be able to have the whole apartment like Artimis!

Dogs6

Plus One
They all can be left loose in the house but they're rarely, if ever, all left loose together.

It USED to be that Fudge, Taz and Scamp were locked in my room, Aura and Diesel were crated and Tika and Ozzy were left with the rest of the house. However Diesel destroyed his crate and its not suitable for anything other than feeding him in any more and Scamp is now crated for his own safety.

So now if we're only be going to be gone for a short while and the weather is nice, Diesel, Fudge and Taz are left in the yard and Aura, Tika and Ozzy are left loose in the house. Aura chews zippers and Tika steals food, wrappers that may have contained food, etc as well as torturing the cats but she behaves a lot better than when she's crated.

If we're going to be gone for a longer period of time then Fudge and Taz are confined to my bedroom, Aura will probably be confined to the kitchen and Diesel, Tika and Ozzy will have the living room. The main reason for that is that Diesel has discovered how to jump out the kitchen window and does so any chance he gets. Plus between Tika and Diesel no one is getting into our house. Ever. When we left them for a day, our uncle was supposed to let the dogs out and they refused to let him into the house and they wouldn't go past the doorway, just stood there barking at him. The reason that's good news is that I may have accidentally broken the key for that door so it can't be locked any more.

Hudson is crated. If we are just outside doing stuff, I don't mind leaving him loose in the house. He just stands by the window and looks sad at us. I think he would be OK for short periods of time, but there is always stuff on the end tables (books, remotes, Wii controllers, nail polish, etc) that I worry he would get in to.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Yes. I currently don't even own a crate - Eve stays out by herself or with my roommate when I'm at work (I work nights).

The only time I'm concerned is during thunderstorms or fireworks. I don't think she'd get into serious trouble, but I know she'd probably pee on the floor or scratch up the carpet.

Red Chrome

Judge-Yes. Had generally is a good boy. He does smash my blinds looking out the windows. He will also wash any dishes in the sink if they are dirty. But he isn't destructive really unless I leave garbage out or something.

LoLa- Well, she got out of the ex pen and got on top of my fridge. Yeah, she's not left alone loose much. Once in a while I get.brave and then remember why she shouldn't be.

Radar: Yes. He is occasionally bratty or has an accident but nothing major so he gets a free run. He mostly just sleeps on the windowsill when I'm gone even if other people are home.

Desoto: Yes, now. He was crated as a pup. When Sadie was alive they where sectioned off into separate rooms or floors to prevent fights. He is a pretty perfect house dog, never an accident and he would never dream of destroying anything in the house.

Miz Naughty: No, hell no, and never lol

She's four years old and is still very much a mischief maker. She gets up on the dining room table, opens cabinets, eats rolls of toilet paper...

My husband's parents watched her one time. My MIL "felt bad" about leaving her in the crate when she went to the store, so she left her out. She came back to a royal mess with books eaten, remotes chewed up, dog hair on the kitchen table, a candle that got gnawed up...

She tried to get angry about it, but I was like, "Did I not tell you to crate her?"
"Well yes, but I felt bad!"
"Do you think I crate Miz Naughty to be mean to her?"
"No, of course not!"
"Do you understand why I crate her now?"
*long suffering sigh* "Yes."

And Lil Sis is just too young. She's only three months old lol

DJEtzel

I should probably add that mine are rarely ever left alone together- only for short trips out to the garbage, etc. They are all great when left loose ALONE... not in a group or pairs. Lol. I don't trust Sir not to stir up trouble/hurt one of the others so he's never allowed alone with them. Frag and Recon are sometimes, but they have a habit of just playing a lot and that's annoying at night when I'm sleeping/troublesome when we're gone because then they have to pee sooner. XD

Sir and Frag did get to spend half a day together while we were away for Memorial day weekend; Meagan was checking in on them and after her last visit Frag broke down his baby gate (something I was not expecting whatsoever) and "chilled" with Sir for probably more than 5 hours... They opened up our bedroom door (weird latch) and pulled all of my dog backpack toys out and demolished many of them, chewed up some cups they found, destuffed EVERY toy, pulled the cushions off of the couch (but didn't harm them), tipped over the swively recliner-esque chair, and pooped/peed a few times. >.<

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Sir and Frag did get to spend half a day together while we were away for Memorial day weekend; Meagan was checking in on them and after her last visit Frag broke down his baby gate (something I was not expecting whatsoever) and "chilled" with Sir for probably more than 5 hours... They opened up our bedroom door (weird latch) and pulled all of my dog backpack toys out and demolished many of them, chewed up some cups they found, destuffed EVERY toy, pulled the cushions off of the couch (but didn't harm them), tipped over the swively recliner-esque chair, and pooped/peed a few times. >.<
I still feel bad about that... even though it wasn't my fault. Lol.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
All of mine CAN be left loose in the house, but because of size differences, bitchy attitudes (*cough*Snipe*cough), incontinence, and several other factors, they are often crated instead.

Aeri gets run of the house most of the time and has since she was 5 months old. I used to let her and Kes stay loose together, but now I've started crating Kes some of the time because she seems to get riled up when I leave and grabs at him in frustration, which is not fun for him.

Kes can be left loose, but is a counter surfer, so I have to double check pantry doors and counters before leaving.

Snipe could be left loose, and is when Kes and Aeri are with me, but she tends to pick at the other dogs too much for my liking.

Ziva is perfect loose in the house, but she has periodic incontinence issues so is crated to prevent messes on the couch.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Bodhi, always.

Fred was earning privileges till he injured himself and went on rest... He was crated forever but we are introducing freedom again. He's loose at night (about a week). No destruction, but whines in the morning when he hears us, which is strange as he slept like a log otherwise.

Has a lot of loose time in the day. He's pretty good, but will build up :) ideally I'd like them both loose at all times, and crates just for necessary stuff, so it can pack away.

Paige

Let it be
He will get into food if you forget to put away but other than that yes he is totally reliable To be left out

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Schnauzers used to have free run of the downstairs prior to the Poodles. I tried over the years seeing if they would be left fine loose in the room while the others were crated, but we'd have occasional accidents or them getting into something.

Charlie has been accidentally left loose a few times with nothing being done, but I'm pretty sure she crates herself anyways.

Lincoln... oh Lincoln. The room would have to be completely empty for me to trust him. Heck I don't even leave him loose in my bedroom when I leave temporarily because it always bites me in the ass somehow.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I'm assuming this is loose in the house...

Quinn - no problem. I never worry about her. She's had totally free roam since she was 4 or 5 months old and didn't get that much crate time earlier.

Dally we crate currently. She used to have free roam (I think we stopped crating when she was about 10 months) but she's developed bad habits LOL and she crates so well it's no big deal.

Members online

No members online now.