Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Frodo is left loose all the time because if he is crated or confined when we leave, he loses it.

Siri is crated, and always will be. Any future dogs will be crated/confined to an x-pen for as long as they are with me, just for peace of mind.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Puppy Dog

Grace has full run of the house when we are not there. I've never crated a dog and dont think I ever would. All of our previous dogs had full run of the house also and never destroyed anything.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Top Dog

I haven't crated Roman in over 5 years. He's totally nondestructive, always has been.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Puppy Dog

Jasper- Yes but closed into the guest room. He is still really young and I want to make extra sure he his safe from himself.

Sophie- Yes
Damon- Yes he just sleeps while we are gone.
Piper- Yes

Max- Yes but in the Basement with no carpet. If there is carpet he will dig it up from his anxiety/ boredom.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Top Dog

Yes, every day regardless of how long we are gone. We just need to make sure to put the cat food up high He never gets into anything else and would just sleep the entire time. We are fine leaving him uncrated with two cats running around in the house. If we had another dog, though, he would have to be crated.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Top Dog

I don't actually know, since I don't do it. When Tully was still alive, she would be loose, Tess and Pirate would be confined. (before Pirate, my old dog Elmo would also be confined. He could be loose when he was younger, but got naughty with age) I'd intended to try having Tess as the out dog now that Tully is gone, but I haven't had the courage to try yet. When Tess had her pups, and they reached the "moved to the living room" stage, she did have the run of the house, since I had to give her the opportunity to get away from the pups if she chose. And she was fine. But she had the pups to distract her, I don't know if it would be the same now.

The only thing Tess would be likely to do is get into food, but that's a big thing. If I could shut the kitchen off, I wouldn't worry about it.

Pirate is far away from me being willing to try anything like that.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Silence, peasants.

Wesley is left loose when people are gone. The only issue would be the kitchen, and it's gated off. He just sleeps.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 06-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Show Dog

Abby- Yup. she's always left loose when we leave and she can pretty much go anywhere

Bo- yes he's also loose, but restricted from the bedrooms

Twsiter- loose as well, but also restricted from the bedrooms

Karma- yeah...no. She did however at one point manage to bust out of her crate and decided it would be fun to destroy my one good pair of shoes... So unless I'm actively there with her to keep an eye out she's crated
Old 06-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoandAbby View Post
Abby- Yup. she's always left loose when we leave and she can pretty much go anywhere

Bo- yes he's also loose, but restricted from the bedrooms

Twsiter- loose as well, but also restricted from the bedrooms

Karma- yeah...no. She did however at one point manage to bust out of her crate and decided it would be fun to destroy my one good pair of shoes... So unless I'm actively there with her to keep an eye out she's crated
How does that work? If Abby can go anywhere, but Bo and Twister are restricted from the bedrooms... How could she get in the bedrooms? Now I'm curious

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-25-2013, 02:21 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Teagan has access to the whole house when we are gone during the day, but she is crate trained and has no issues spending time in the crate. Crate training is a God send when we have to go on any kind of trips and I crate her in the car.

Mitsu was crated when we where gone, mostly because I did not want any kind of snarking to start between the Teagan and Mitsu and it escalate.

Pup, pup is going to be kennel trained, during the day he is going to spend it in an X-pen in the kitchen, where Teagan spends most her time looking out the window on the bench. And during the night he will be kept in a kennel beside our bed. Teagan and Pup Pup will probably never be left un-crated when we are gone so his kennel will probably be moved into the living room or the kitchen. I am hoping to switch his kennel for a bed in the bedroom once he is older. Or we will just give in and let him sleep on the bed- NOT!!

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff