Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Little dog, big voice

Default Friendly dogs vs reserved/aloof dogs

Personally, I'm starting to prefer more aloof dogs, although I do appreciate it when a dog is friendly when meeting new people instead of stand-offish or nervous.

I think that Cali could be considered overly friendly, although I do love the fact that I can take her anywhere and I have zero worries about her getting along with other dogs/people. It doesn't matter who it is, if someone reaches down to pet her, she'll roll over and beg for belly rubs. She's a bit nervous around kids, if it's a group of them, but she's a total saint and is very tolerant if someone wants to feel her tail/etc. The downside is that I am 99% sure that she'd pick a stranger over me.

So, that brings me back to a few things.

1) Do you prefer a dog who is friendly with strangers/etc or a more aloof dog?
2) How do your own dog(s) compare to your preferences?

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Top Dog

I prefer polite disinterest. The dog will go say 'hi' if asked, but really doesn't give two hoots about the new people.

Hudson things everyone was put on this earth to tell him how pretty he is and give butt scratches.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 06-25-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Mae

1) Do you prefer a dog who is friendly with strangers/etc or a more aloof dog?
2) How do your own dog(s) compare to your preferences?
1. Both? I think my 'ideal' is a happy medium dog that definitely prefers their people but also is polite with strangers and is moderately friendly. All in all though I can deal with a wide range in friendliness provided the rest of the temperament matches me.

2. I currently have two polar opposites. For Summer people are the best thing ever and she wants to say hi and jump all over and lick everyone she meets. She's.... A little over the top in her love for people. But I can appreciate her and how easy she is to bring places since she's so confident and friendly.

Mia is the opposite end of the spectrum. She is close to a no touch dog when it comes to strangers. Very rarely will she allow people to touch her (much to other people's sadness). She likes a handful of people but only after multiple good meetings. There have been one or two people she loves on first meeting but it's rare. One thing I like about her is that she's easy to keep engaged with me and she is very in tune with me. However there are downsides to it to and there are certainly times I wish she was not so standoffish. She also judges people and if the initial meeting is not good she is very unlikely to ever like or trust that person. We're talking years of good encounters after one bad and she still does. Not. Like.

It is nice having both them because I can direct people to Summer and Mia is never put in situations she doesn't like. Ideal is in between.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:36 AM
Top Dog

I love love love having a dog who adores people. Lucy thinks everyone on this planet should be in love with her, and I enjoy that a lot. She's great with kids and adults, and it makes me happy inside.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Big Dog

Well, both of my are like, "ZOMGPEOPLE!!!!!! <3 <3<3!!!!! WAGWAGWAG!!!!"

Both throw themselves shamelessly at new people we're meeting.

Cardigans are typically aloof dogs, and I do prefer that. I feel like an a--hole when I have to physically restrain my dogs from saying "hi" to people who aren't interested in them.

Lil Sis will literally block people from walking by rolling over on their shoes and asking for a belly rub.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
I prefer polite disinterest. The dog will go say 'hi' if asked, but really doesn't give two hoots about the new people.
I'd be fine with this. My ideal would be a dog who really doesn't care about approaching strangers, but is not unfriendly if approached. As in, the dog who doesn't feel the need to want to run up and greet new people when out, but if swarmed by a random child while my back was turned would take it in stride, even if they weren't over the moon about it.

That said, I'd take a "too friendly" dog over an aggressive one in a heartbeat. I want to be able to take my dog in public. That's the bottom line.

Boo is close to my ideal out in public (with people), but not quite there. I do still worry about her at times, because, although unusual, occasionally she will be reactive with an individual in public and I definitely don't trust her 100% with small children. They can come up and say hi politely if I'm watching, but if I'm not, I wouldn't trust her not to bark if one tried to hug her tightly or ride her(!!) or pull her tail, etc.

I've seen a wide range of dogs fit my "ideal," from the stereotypically friendly labs and newfies and pit bulls who are just mature enough to have gotten over the huge excitement of meeting people, to the shepherds, etc who would clearly rather not be bothered, but stand there stoically when mobbed.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 06-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

I prefer neutral to aloof (truly aloof, not fear-being-labeled-as-aloof, which sadly is common in both breeds I like). It is more convenient for me and the things I like to do with my dogs to have dogs that are just plain disinterested in strangers.

Macky is super friendly and it's very cute at times and it can certainly be really fun to "share" her with people. Still, I like that for Keeva and Blossom, the judge isn't going to be a distraction at performance events like it was for Mackenzy. Keeva didn't even notice the judge at our Rally trial on Sunday, LOL.

I don't need a hostile, nervy dog though - I want my dogs to be able to do a stand for exam in Obedience without worrying about what will happen. Also, both Keeva and Blossom will go say hi, Keeva does it if I tell her too and doesn't see the point (but will do it, lol), Blossom actually enjoys the interaction usually but will return to me immediately because other people just aren't that interesting.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Still, I like that for Keeva and Blossom, the judge isn't going to be a distraction at performance events like it was for Mackenzy. Keeva didn't even notice the judge at our Rally trial on Sunday, LOL.
Hah. Lucy's jumped in ring crew's laps at agility trials. It does make things a bit more challenging.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Hah. Lucy's jumped in ring crew's laps at agility trials. It does make things a bit more challenging.
LOL yeah, Macky is solid now but I would always hold breath at trials for the stand for exam because she'd start wagging her tail... the ears would go back... I'm like, OMG DO NOT MOVE!!!

Also, in the OB ring, when released between exercises, she will sometimes start towards the judge with her tail wagging, but now can easily be called off. *phew* LOL

Old 06-25-2013, 09:56 AM
I'm All Ears

Summer has this thing now that if we run she's engaged but when we try to go put her in a crate she jumps in someone's lap. We've done all sorts of distraction work and Summers only distraction was people sitting on the ground. Balls and toys? Loud noises? People being weird and dancing? Totally cool but omg that person sitting is probably my new best friend. The other dogs drink tell had more issues with toys and noises.

Mia is definitely a little fearful vs truly aloof. But she's perfectly fine in close proximity to people and dogs as long as they don't try to interact with her.