WHYYYY am I doing this?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
An Aussie breeder I know has a litter coming up this fall. I keep bugging the them about deposit amounts and all those details one wants to know when they're looking for puppy. :yikes:

Sawyer is getting older and still acts like a young dog most days, so I'd like to get another pup while he's still jovial enough to help me train. That's another concern I have though--I work ridiculous, unpredictable hours at the dealership. My bf has a more stable schedule and since he's in the restaurant industry, it's usually on the opposite of myself, so the pup shouldn't be home alone too much. I'm just worried that I won't have enough time to train up the pup to the standard I'm used to with Sawyer, because Sawyer was able to go to everywhere and to work with me for the first few years I had him, so we got to be super bonded.

On top of that, this breeder is mostly show dogs, though from seeing her posts and pictures over the years about her dogs and talking with some other people who have multiple dogs from her, they sound like they could be pretty much everything I want in a dog as far as retaining brains and being stable. I'm a little concerned about the amount of coat though.

Grab

Not currently showing anyone, but when I DID do obedience, classes, etc, I worked fairly unpredictable hours and had no issues working in training to the level I needed. Dogs are extra adaptable, thankfully

Toller_08

Why? Because everything's better with an Aussie puppy around!

Seriously though, I think that you should try and go for it. You've waited an awfully long time for a puppy, and as others have said, they are pretty adaptable. It won't be as easy as it would be if you were home more or able to bring the puppy to work, but still should be very doable.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Do it!

I've come to the conclusion that there is no "ideal" time to get a dog. There is a good time and a bad time, but there will never be that, "Well, when I had this dog, I had such-and-such going for me, and I was able to do so-and-so at this-and-this time which really helped." Sure, it helped, and I'm sure it was nice...but you don't NEED that to raise a happy, healthy, stable puppy. And I'm sure there will be other things this time around that will be beneficial, and when it is time for your next puppy, you'll be saying, "Well, when I had Bob, I was able to do so-and-so and such-and-such, and..."

(I say this because I currently am experience this issue. So reiterating what I've been telling myself is helping to convince myself. LOL)

For example:
With Chloe, I had a huge yard, a place to safely kennel her outside for when we were gone for long hours and she would need a potty break, and extremely accessible walking areas. Not to mention a huge house to play in, and family members to rely on to help with potty breaks and such. I also had all summer of just working part time to work with her on things.

I won't have that with Future Puppy. But we'll survive.

Xandra

If you foresee a time in the next couple years that would give you the flexibility you had when Sawyer was a pup, then I'd wait till then.

If you don't know what life will be like later on, or if it will be the same, may as well go for it! Unless this is a BAD time to get a pup (it sounds pretty decent between you and your SO), then putting something off for an indefinite period of time is a bad idea IMO. Sure you might get a perfect schedule again, but things could also stay the same (in which case you've just waited a few years for nothing), or could get worse/busier. Carpe diem my friend!!

Cardiparty

I feel that where there's a will, there's a way. Mentally, if you're up for the challenge, then you'll find a way to make it work.

Members online

No members online now.