Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Was BackwardCinderella

Single there would be no max. I'd have already opened a rescue and would take whatever I could handle at the time. We have five now, but hubby says eventually the max will be three. He knows the rule, though. Nobody goes anywhere except the rainbow bridge when its time.

http://doofydogblog.blogspot.com/
In which creeper dogs, products and nonsense are discussed.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Single, max would be one dog.

I'm in a relationship and max would be 2 permanents and a foster. With the permanents with a big span, one young one and one oldie.

I might be able to handle more physically, but I can't imagine being able to spend the time with each of them that I do now with more than I have. Especially since I plan on having more terriers, and most of them you can't just take to the park and let loose.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Top Dog

I am single and have never been in a relationship with a dog owner before. I think I can say that 1 or 2 dogs is my ideal. Maybe, maybe 3 dogs but the 3rd dog would probably need to be a low maintenance couch-holder-downer dog.

If I were in a relationship with another dog person, I could probably be okay with 3 dogs. Possibly 4 dogs, provided that the SO is 100% dedicated to the dogs...but 4 still sounds like it would be a crowd. 2-3 dogs is probably still my ideal, even in a relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay View Post
The other day I started freaking out though, when I realized there was no one I could think of who I would trust to take care of Yarrow (and who would want him) if something happened to me Kind of a difficult thought. I think my OH would do it, just for my sake, but he is really not a dog person, and Yarrow is higher maintenance than some. Jasper would be easy.
DIBS. No one else called it, so I'm calling it now Please add me to your will immediately, and Chaz can serve as witnesses.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Top Dog

I'm single and will always be single. I think my limit is 3-4, but I prefer one or two. I have cared for a dozen at one time, so I know I CAN do it, but it's not something I'd WANT to do. The lady who owned all those dogs lives by herself and has had 6+ dogs for years and years and years.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
A relationship wouldn't affect my numbers, unless we were married. My sister was in a relationship for 7 years, and they broke up, and they sort of had "joint" dogs. Which... made things really tough. Of course, I guess that could be a problem no matter how many dogs there are- people get attached, and then who gets to keep them? Anyways- if I were married, living on the right property (lots of land, maybe some sheepies), I might have up to 6 or 7. Many more than that, and I think I'd have too many dogs to really work with individually.
Even in our marriage, though we both pitch in with all the dogs, there are definitely "my dog/future dog" and "his dog/future dog". Rider and future ACD are mine. They would go with me. As much as I LOVE Harlow, she loves her daddy, and would be happiest with him. I would hope if anything ever happened, that we could kind of share her, but if we didn't, then off she would go. And I would cry, a lot. But it would be best for her. Future Wirehaired V would definitely go with Josh, as that is going to be his dog to start with.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 05-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post

DIBS. No one else called it, so I'm calling it now Please add me to your will immediately, and Chaz can serve as witnesses.
Deal!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

I think that 3-4 would be ideal for me in life, both single and in a relationship. Right now, DH does help a bit (he's been a GREAT help with the puppies since I work too far from home to come let them out during my lunch break), but he's not really in to dog stuff so they are seen as my responsibility. Though he does love his little Bubbles

It also depends on future money and space/land. I can always make the time and would obviously not have more animals than I could realistically afford, but right now my little ranch house is totally at capacity.

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 21 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)
Old 05-06-2013, 09:58 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Just figured I would add, since many people have mentioned having property allowing them to have more dogs...

While I could handle our three dogs by myself without a problem, I couldn't keep up with the land too. It really is a two-person job. Not just in terms of time (though that is true too!) but some jobs just require more hands.

I'm sure it depends on the property and what you do with it, but figured I'd throw that in.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Top Dog

Regardless of relationship status, I think I'd stick with either one larger dog, or two small dogs. My BF will help out here and there, but I am the main caregiver.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:08 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Just figured I would add, since many people have mentioned having property allowing them to have more dogs...

While I could handle our three dogs by myself without a problem, I couldn't keep up with the land too. It really is a two-person job. Not just in terms of time (though that is true too!) but some jobs just require more hands.

I'm sure it depends on the property and what you do with it, but figured I'd throw that in.
Oh yeah. I like that DH mows our lawn

I personally mean just a bit more land than my super teeny lot (6,900 sq feet including house and front yard). Would be nice to build some kennel areas so that the dogs could be outside during nice days for a bit without my worrying about a possible escape

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 21 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)