Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Top Dog

It's funny, I've never even thought of this before, because in our household, the dogs are clearly mine, and I do ALL the work associated with them. I have 2, planning on a 3rd this summer, and I think it will be just fine. In fact, I know it will, because I do in-home boarding and I've had up to 8 dogs here before, and was able to manage just fine.

However, an extra pair of hands (even just to hold a dog for me or something) around is pretty important every once in a while. If I lived truly alone it would probably be a bit harder!

The other day I started freaking out though, when I realized there was no one I could think of who I would trust to take care of Yarrow (and who would want him) if something happened to me Kind of a difficult thought. I think my OH would do it, just for my sake, but he is really not a dog person, and Yarrow is higher maintenance than some. Jasper would be easy.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:31 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I'm currently in a relationship and we have three. If I were single, I'd want two or three, with three being my max. With Mike, I would still prefer two or three, but four would no longer be out of the question.

Mike helps a lot with the dogs, he just won't help with a puppy (outside of normal dog things). He is not a puppy person. He doesn't understand why anyone would willingly get an animal that isn't housebroken, chews on things, nips, doesn't have manners, and cries in the crate. LOL

Old 05-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
He doesn't understand why anyone would willingly get an animal that isn't housebroken, chews on things, nips, doesn't have manners, and cries in the crate. LOL
Sounds like Brian!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Top Dog

Since I do all of the work with the dogs, single or in a relationship it wouldn't matter, but I would be down 2 cats, he would have to take them, unless he passed away then I would of course keep them, there just would not be any more.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Top Dog

I was just thinking about this the other day as I was out for a walk with my girls. It's just so relaxing and enjoyable with just the two of them. I am single, but I do live with my mom and brother for the time being. I'll probably move out next year or the year after, and I think when Journey is 5 or 6 I'd like to add another Aussie, but we'll see where I'm at and what kind of shape Dance is in then (she'll be nearing 12).

For me I think it would depend on the dogs though. The four I have now? I could do it on my own, and many days I feel like I do do it on my own, but I wouldn't want to all the time. As it is, the Dobermans get left out a lot. But even if I had just them, I don't know if I'd do half the things I do with the furry two with the Dobes. Just a totally different type of dog and even something as simple as a walk never seems as relaxing with the Dobermans. And that's not to sound mean - they do have a good life and get to do things, but they're a different type of dog in comparison to Dance and Journ.

But I really I enjoy two, and would likely even do three by myself, dependent on the other two dogs. With dogs like Dance and Journey, adding a third on my own would be no problem at all. But I don't know if I will for sure. Once it's just me and them it'll be so easy that I might not want to add another at all.

But if I ever meet somebody/live with another dog savvy person again, I'd go for four again I'm sure. Just not on my own.

And I doubt I'll ever be the kind of person to just have one. I like multiples too much. But sometimes when I'm hanging out with Journey I think that it would be awesome to have just one dog if that one dog was her. She's my perfect take anywhere, do anything or just hang out dog.

ETA: I could have lots if I never intended to take them anywhere or take them anywhere together, but when I'm out and about and doing stuff, I feel better able to watch just two or three as opposed to four or more when it's just me. Especially with my current dogs, because while the furry two tend to stay close, the Dobermans run here, there and everywhere and it's not very relaxing having to constantly watch for everyone all alone.

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN

Last edited by Toller_08; 05-06-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Silence, peasants.

I think ideal for me is 1-2, for now anyway.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 05-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Top Dog

Single, 2-3. In a committed relationship (or in a situation with a long-term possibility of having an extra set of hands) up to 6. Extra set of hands makes things easier every now and then, but even in my mom's house, I handled 6 on my own most of the time.

Lyz and Zander
zaner-waner-fluffy-butt <3

'05 Siberian Husky

Old 05-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Top Dog

I only want one dog for me personally. With someone else, I could see going up to three in the household, but two would be better.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Top Dog

My ideal as a single woman would be two of my own and a revolving foster. Gambit is the easiest dog alive most of the time. Then my lhw ans I can enjoy fostering

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:11 PM
The Littlest Hound

Together we have 4, and I'd be ok with probably up to 5 or 6... Lol

Alone I think 3 is my max...

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage CA

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)